• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Husseys Struggle at test level.....

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Slats4ever said:
ummm try making your argument...
Let me preface this by saying that I don't really care about ODI averages, since the onus is on how well the team bats; I just think an argument can be made.

In limited overs cricket, both innings are completed, therefore whether Hussey is out or not is irrelevant -- once the final ball is delivered, he can no longer score runs. It doesn't matter whether a side are bowled out before the 50th over, or reach the target with overs to spare, the opportunity to make a higher score is gone.

Obviously 20* in a successful chase is different from being dismissed for 20, but the boost that not outs give to an average isn't a reward for good batting -- it's a result of the average being calculated by runs per dismissal, instead of runs per innings.

Innings average isn't a foolproof method -- Hussey has made scores such as 0* without facing a ball & 1* with two balls remaining, scores that would hurt his average if they were counted as complete innings; nevertheless, an innings average of 43.14 (disregarding the 0*) gives a far greater indication of his average than 151.00.

In time his average won't be so astronomical, but for now it's a strange quirk.

In other sports where average scores are significant (eg. basketball), it's a simple matter of points scored divided by games played, despite endless variables (minutes played, foul trouble, shots per game, etc.)

Admittedly, basketball players have at least 48 minutes to score, whereas Hussey might have two balls, but if innings average were the norm, perhaps strike rate would become a more significant stat in the way that field goal percentage is in basketball.

So I can understand if people think not outs discriminate between batsmen who have the opportunity to remain not out and those, who in all likelihood, don't.

There's no concessions made for the bowlers.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
howardj said:
I didnt say that. Im just saying that they can give an inaccurate picture of a batsman's abilities. For instance, do you think - going on averages - that Hussey is three times the player that Gilchrist is? I don't think so.

As Ive acknowledged, that's not to Hussey hasnt performed magnificently in his particular role.
I don't think you can judge any player on their average after just a handful of matches. But if he is averaging 150 after hitting 5000 test runs then there is a fair argument to say yes he is 3 times better than Gilchrist.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Those people campaigning for not-outs not to count in averages,let me ask you this,does anyone on this forum honestly think that Hussey will average 150 after 4 years? Or that his average truly reflects how good he is?

Hussey has performed fantasticly well since he became an international cricketer,and we should leave it at that.

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
open365 said:
Those people campaigning for not-outs not to count in averages,let me ask you this,does anyone on this forum honestly think that Hussey will average 150 after 4 years? Or that his average truly reflects how good he is?

Hussey has performed fantasticly well since he became an international cricketer,and we should leave it at that.
done and done!

i doubt he will avg. 100+ in ODI, but who knows ;)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You must rate the West Indies attack fairly highly then. That's all he has faced at Test level. A great start? Yes. But let's, in the Test arena, reserve our judgement for another 13 months or so.
Your right and 13 months later and his average has plummeted to just 79.85 :whistling