• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many test teams...

Flem274*

123/5
...would turn down Tamim Iqbal?

He's been in a trough until recently and is really good at getting out after scoring a 50 but the kid can play. He's only 25 and has a respectable record for a young opening batsman (36 games, 5 tons, 16 fifties, averaging 36) and should only get better.

I can't think of too many better openers in the world right now. Australia would keep their pair, touch and go with SA, and if India could decide whether or not they hate Dhawan he may or may not make their team, but who else?

Bangladesh almost have two world class players in their team and they still can't win anything. For shame.

cnerd123

likes this
Would England pick Tamim? Robson wasn't flash but they do still have Compton and

Pakistan won't, since Shehzad is doing well and Hafeez has click again.

India won't drop Dhawan again, and Aus won't break up their settled pair yet.

SL, WI, NZ, Zim and perhaps RSA would take him.

Flem274*

123/5
Neither of the Pakistani openers are better batsmen than Tamim, and I'd pick him ahead of Robson and Compton.

smash84

The Tiger King
Would England pick Tamim? Robson wasn't flash but they do still have Compton and

Pakistan won't, since Shehzad is doing well and Hafeez has click again.

India won't drop Dhawan again, and Aus won't break up their settled pair yet.

SL, WI, NZ, Zim and perhaps RSA would take him.
Honestly, Hafeez is useless. Is still in the team thanks to his bowling probably.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'd easily make South Africa IMO. Probably their one liability is their openers - both Petersen and Elgar are pretty meh, whereas Tamin is quite good.

You could argue he's better than Rogers, but him and Warner opening the batting for us concerns me.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I suspect Tamim wouldn't be good enough to excel in the domestic scene in South Africa. He'd probably end up getting a cap but they'd drop him if he didn't fire for a few games. Similar deal with England.

SL, WI, NZ, Zim, Pak would all hold on to him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think Pakistan would still select Hafeez over Tamim, especially at home. Provides the attacking bowling option against left handers.

cnerd123

likes this
Honestly, Hafeez is useless. Is still in the team thanks to his bowling probably.
Yea exactly. If he hadn't scored that 96, I'd say Tamim would have a chance of taking his spot. But now some runs + his bowling means Pak won't drop Hafeez anytime soon.

Oh and I agree Rahim > Tamim at the moment. Rahim has matured immensely since taking over captaincy.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
We'll right now we've got Gayle and Brathwaite...not a chance in hell he's better than either IMO!!..i mean the way Kraigg has been over the last 18 months or so there can't be many better openers out there and lets remember he's still only 21 years old. After Gayle goes (which should be soon tbh) then yes i suppose Tamim would have a look in!!..but in truth interms of talent i wouldn't say he had more in his arsenal than Powell either...both are experts at throwing it away though.

Flem274*

123/5
We'll right now we've got Gayle and Brathwaite...not a chance in hell he's better than either IMO!!..i mean the way Kraigg has been over the last 18 months or so there can't be many better openers out there and lets remember he's still only 21 years old. After Gayle goes (which should be soon tbh) then yes i suppose Tamim would have a look in!!..but in truth interms of talent i wouldn't say he had more in his arsenal than Powell either...both are experts at throwing it away though.
noted committed test opener chris gayle and veteran kraigg brathwaite.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Yeah he'd get a go for England, but I also expect England to go through a few openers in the next 12-18 months with Lyth and Lees knocking down the door.

cnerd123

likes this
I agree that Tamim won't get picked over Braithwaite and Gayle, but that's on the assumption that either of them are still going to be playing for the West Indies...

On a serious note, I was gonna do a statsguru check of all other current opener's records since Jan 4th 2008 (Tamim's debut) and see how they stack up...but statsguru is down :(