• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steyn averages... what? Like 10-12 less runs per wicket then Flintoff & Anderson?
Anderson is similar to Steyn but not as good or as accurate - he's likely to go the distance more often than not with Hughes

Flintoff will trouble Hughes (and all other batsmen) because of his pace, bounce and accuracy - IMO, that's where his real test will come from

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Let's not get bogged down in semantics Smitteh I would hate for the Ashes to bring our wonderous love affair to a close, Freddie rulz

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anderson is similar to Steyn but not as good or as accurate - he's likely to go the distance more often than not with Hughes

Flintoff will trouble Hughes (and all other batsmen) because of his pace, bounce and accuracy - IMO, that's where his real test will come from
Only if the pitches are flat. If there's movement in the air or off the pitch then Anderson will be more capable of taking a hatful. Unlike Steyn, Anderson bowls very well to left-handers.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
the lions game was on the slowest pitch in the country and hughes still got shattered by harmi

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd actually say Anderson, these days, is more accurate than Steyn - ie, he can hit good lengths and stop the batsmen scoring better.

Steyn, however, is far more effective as a wicket-taker - he is several mph quicker than Anderson and much, much better at aiming at the stumps (ergo he gets more bowleds and lbws and makes the batsmen play to get catches more often).

Unlike Anderson, Steyn only excels in swinging the ball in one direction.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steyn averages... what? Like 10-12 less runs per wicket then Flintoff & Anderson?
The overall is not always relevant. Some moderate bowlers excel at dismissing certain batsmen (sometimes excellent batsmen) much more than their considerable overall superiors.

EG, Pedro Collins caused Sachin Tendulkar far more problems in a short time than virtually anyone (any number of whom were better than Collins) did 1990-2002.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That guy joined before you and me. Just so happens he hasn't posted since 2005, funny that

pup11

International Coach
Phil Hughes might not have scored many runs so far, but I'm backing him to come good in the rest of the series, England haven't really blown him away or anything, they have just tucked him up and given him no room to work with, and eventually he has got out fiddling at balls he should be leaving well alone.

I think the gap between the 2nd and 3rd test would help him get his bearings right, he is hitting the ball quite well, he just needs to be slightly patient and eventually the runs too would come. .

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I love the way he gives it back to Flintoff whenever Flintoff has a crack at him. The confidence of the young man as an Australian to not back down to the big bully just makes you hope that Hughes ends up getting the better of Flintoff, scoring a big ton and giving Flintoff a little something extra to remember him by in retirement.

Must be pretty sureal for him that his being targetted by Flintoff, given Hughes was only in year 10 the last time the Ashes were played in England where Flintoff made a name for himself.

irfan

State Captain
Phil Hughes might not have scored many runs so far, but I'm backing him to come good in the rest of the series, England haven't really blown him away or anything, they have just tucked him up and given him no room to work with, and eventually he has got out fiddling at balls he should be leaving well alone.

I think the gap between the 2nd and 3rd test would help him get his bearings right, he is hitting the ball quite well, he just needs to be slightly patient and eventually the runs too would come. .
Hughes and Hussey are fine. Looked convincing in their brief trips to the crease. Johnson however, is a big problem - if he can't get his release angle sorted than we're stuffed.