• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how long before south africa recall boucher?

shaka

International Regular
I heard somewhere that the four selectors wanted him but went to the highest person and that person said that he would rather see Tsoleleke in.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
it seemed before this that he thought that spot was his and he couldnt be dropped. the fact that he got dropped could shock him back into form with the gloves as well as the bat

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
However, he (Boucher) is still a great player.
Well, he is still a very good wicket keeper / batsman. But his keeping is far too ordinary for him to be categorised as "great".

As for his replacement, he has only played 2 tests, which, as we all know, is far too soon to judge.

shaka

International Regular
I dont think he should have been replaced in the first place. and he did not do anything wrong.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Neil Pickup said:
When was the last time SA picked a side without three players classed as coloured?
Neil Pickup said:
I did a bit of research a bit ago into it and couldn't find one (remembering that Hall and Gibbs are coloured).
How does that matter?

What matters is whether those coloured players selected are clearly inferior to their 'white' competitors, as is the case with Tselokile. Kind of fruitless research.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:
Boucher is a great player and should still be in the SA team, if they didnt drop him before Jennings came in, does Jennings have a problem with having boucher there?
Certainly when Jennings first took over it seemed he wasn't too impressed with Boucher's attitude. I think most people were expecting him to be dropped after those comments, and when Majola told the selectors to "get adventurous" and said that Tselokile "should walk" into the team ahead of Boucher it became pretty clear what was going to happen.
But nonetheless even the most colour-orientated selectors can only keep faith in someone as terrible as Tselokile has been for a short time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
As for his replacement, he has only played 2 tests, which, as we all know, is far too soon to judge.
I'm perfectly willing to say I don't think there'll be too much of an improvement in his Test-record, judging by his First-Class career.
I think he was rather overrated because of a single innings, personally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:
I dont think he should have been replaced in the first place. and he did not do anything wrong.
That's not quite true - certainly his form in the terrible ODI run and the none-too-impressive Test one weren't quite what they should have been.
Nonetheless, if there were no black wicketkeepers around the country I'm prepared to bet he'd not have been dropped.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
How does that matter?

What matters is whether those coloured players selected are clearly inferior to their 'white' competitors, as is the case with Tselokile. Kind of fruitless research.
Not fruitless, no, I understood what he meant personally.
Nonetheless I do see your point that Ntini, Gibbs etc. are not palpably sub-par in the way that Tselokile appears ATM. (Indeed, I don't think anyone would call Gibbs anything but slightly above par)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Boje coloured??? I know Gibbs is but I don't know how
What qualifications do you need?

Langeveldt

Soutie
James90 said:
Is Boje coloured??? I know Gibbs is but I don't know how
What qualifications do you need?
No he's white, Herschelle Gibbs is Cape coloured.. and you need to be from a "previously disadvantaged" background.. (Which includes women, so hold on for the first FEMALE fast tracking before long!)

A lot of the good white players have never been "previously advantaged", so to speak. So it kind of makes a mockery of everything

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Which includes women, so hold on for the first FEMALE fast tracking before long!
Be a shame to get Johmari too far out of her depth, though, eh? ;):)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I rated the south african selectors the best in the 90s before they started their trash. Aussies always have had talent to chose from. South Africa has also had a talent pool but it wasnt as wide. More often than not, I was assured in my mind that a South African player making his debut wouldnt be crap. Aussies have churned pretty mediocre players like Peter McIntyre, Williams, Bracken, Robertson but South Africans didnt seem to have much problem in selecting the right players.

There have been som eodd bad selections like Adam Bacher who was very promising to be fair but has had an average FC and international career. But by large the selections were top class.

A very sad state of affairs as things stand. This is why DeBruyn, Amla (who has good figures to back his selection) and Steyn are a promise of back to the old times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
I rated the south african selectors the best in the 90s before they started their trash. Aussies always have had talent to chose from. South Africa has also had a talent pool but it wasnt as wide. More often than not, I was assured in my mind that a South African player making his debut wouldnt be crap. Aussies have churned pretty mediocre players like Peter McIntyre, Williams, Bracken, Robertson but South Africans didnt seem to have much problem in selecting the right players.

There have been som eodd bad selections like Adam Bacher who was very promising to be fair but has had an average FC and international career. But by large the selections were top class.

A very sad state of affairs as things stand. This is why DeBruyn, Amla (who has good figures to back his selection) and Steyn are a promise of back to the old times.
The present system of race-quotas by-and-large runs counter to that.
It was always there (and it's understandable - in some ways) but it's got more pronounced of late.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I didn't think it was so much an issue in recent times.

Guess it's having Gibbs and Ntini as fixtures in the side, but now Gibbs is injured / rested / dropped the ugly head is reared again.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Its not that much of an issue really, I think it is less of an issue than it has been, but its a shame that Tsolekile has to be so woefully rubbish...