• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hogg announces his retirement

Woodster

International Captain
Decent enough ODI bowler, while he did not get much of a chance at Test level, it would be difficult to say he was never going to be good enough. Different time and he may well have racked up at least 20 caps.

I was never a big fan of his, was a reasonably difficult bowler to smash around in ODI's, but during his Test career (and first-class) he lacked the necessary penetration to become a valuable asset in the longer form of the game.

Handy lower order batter that made some useful contributions.

Always had enthusiasm for the game and self-belief, which at times portrayed a little arrogance (not always a bad thing).

sideshowtim

Banned
This hasn't been mentioned in the thread as far as I can see, but one thing I've always admired Hogg for is the superb job he did in the 2003 World Cup when you consider the circumstances. It was never going to be easy to live up to the expectations Warney set, yet all eyes were going to be on him after Warney disgraced himself. He handled the pressure excellently and came out with a good haul of wickets at about 24 as well as some very, very handy lower order runs. He pretty much made the transition from Warne leaving ODI cricket fairly seamless in regards to our team, which obviously wouldn't be an easy thing to do and something I'll always remember him fondly for.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of the most underrated ODI bowlers in the last 5 years. He's been fantastic for Australia, and I'm sorry but anyone who suggests otherwise is kidding themselves.

Reckon Cullen will get first shot in the ODI team.

Perm

Good bowler. Didn't particularly like him, but respected him for his enthusiasm.

sideshowtim

Banned
One of the most underrated ODI bowlers in the last 5 years. He's been fantastic for Australia, and I'm sorry but anyone who suggests otherwise is kidding themselves.

Reckon Cullen will get first shot in the ODI team.
Yeah, I was pretty impressed with Cullen in the OD cricket this year so it wouldn't be a terrible choice. Although I'd love to see us take a massive punt and choose Steve Smith...

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Tait's out for the time being, Hilfenhaus is apparantly in awful form, would imagine Noffke to be ahead of Bollinger as well.

Lee
Johnson
Clark
Noffke

Mister Wright

Australia may see the opportunity to play an extra paceman on a more regular basis, or they may go with someone like Cameron White. Really do hope it's Hauritz, his batting has improved a lot and he's a much better one day bowler than he was a few seasons ago.

Agent TBY

International Captain
No ODIs under Waugh? I remember Hogg playing that Titan Cup all the way back in 1997, so I'm sure he played quite a few alongside Steve.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Hogg is actually well reputed as a very good mate of everyone in the team and someone everyone loves having around. Punter speaks very highly of him in his tour diaries so I dunno where you get the idea that Punter doesn't like him much from.
I don't think that Hogg's value to the ODI side has ever really been particularly well respected, either by the selectors or Ponting. I don't doubt that he was personally well liked, but the fact is that if you have a wrist spinner with Hogg's record, he should pretty much play on all but the greenest of greentops- even more so if he is a handy batsman and an energetic fielder. The fact that Hogg carried the drinks as often as he did is pretty indicative of how much his contribution was valued.

Hogg is definitely one of the more underrated ODI bowlers. Amongst spinners, his record was only really markedly inferior to Murali's and Saqlain's, and better than a good many of the better regarded spinners from around the world. As a guy who was a late starter, he certainly forged a good career from a difficult art.

Mere speculation, but could the sudden retirement have been influenced by the charge laid against him after the Sydney test? I'm guessing that it wouldn't have exactly increased his love of the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
i love hogga, always giving 150% and bowling so good, particularly at one day level.

didn't really cut it at test level, but he played India alot, who are of course the masters of spin bowling... Warne averaged over 50 against India, and so did Hogg, I thought he came in for some undeserved critisicm there.

he lives not too far from me, i've seen him a few times, genuinely nice bloke

I got the feeling punter didnt like him though... he was almost always in the side when Waugh was captain, and once ponting took over, he really had to fight... and even in the tests, i don't think ponting gave him the support he needed to succeed
Hmm did he play any games under Waugh. Didn't he make is ODI debut the season Waugh got dropped from the ODI team.
i'm pretty sure he played a few games under waugh... maybe i'm mistaken then
Pretty sure he played three tests and no ODI's under Waugh.
No ODIs under Waugh? I remember Hogg playing that Titan Cup all the way back in 1997, so I'm sure he played quite a few alongside Steve.
Hogg played a handful of games in 1996\97, in the Titan Cup as Sriram says. These games were under Ian Healy and Mark Taylor. But he only started playing regularly in 2002\03, after (as Tharmi says) Waugh was dropped. Hogg never played a single ODI under Waugh's captaincy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mere speculation, but could the sudden retirement have been influenced by the charge laid against him after the Sydney test? I'm guessing that it wouldn't have exactly increased his love of the game.
If it did, then that's unbelievably stupid.

I personally reckon he may have been given the word that he wasn't to be selected in future tours, or at the very minimum his spot wasn't to be guaranteed, and that other spinners were also going to get an opportunity.

That I assume was tests however. ODIs I don't see how anyone could have been ahead of him.

*shrugs* I'll be happy to no longer see that stupid tongue hanging out