• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hogg announces his retirement

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hogg for me has always come in for a lot of underserved criticism imo, though obviously not as talented or gifted as a lot of the others in the aussie team, he has more often than not put in decent performances with the ball and occasionally the bat, and would be the kind of player most other international sides would be glad to have.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never particularly rated Hogg as a ODI bowler TBH but there's no doubting he kept following the bad spells with good ones, and vice-versa. Seems a slightly odd time to retire really, and somewhat annoys me because his record in his last 20 games (IIRR) is now going to be very good.

Rarely has a bowler profited as much from substandard teams as Hogg, of course.

Either way - a better career (far, far better) than I'd ever have expected after seeing him get slammed for 75 off 9 overs (3 no-balls) against Sri Lanka at The SCG in 2002\03.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Rarely has a bowler profited as much from substandard teams as Hogg, of course.
You would think that most of the bowlers in recent times would be profiting from 'substandard teams' just as much as Hogg. You make it sound like he's the only one out there bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, some do profit way more than others. That's obvious. Some play more, some play a larger percentage of games, some do better than others, etc.

Anyway, I'd prefer not to let yet another thread get dragged onto this, as I get the feeling it might annoy some people. So that'll be my last post on the matter.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Nah, some do profit way more than others. That's obvious. Some play more, some play a larger percentage of games, some do better than others, etc.

Anyway, I'd prefer not to let yet another thread get dragged onto this, as I get the feeling it might annoy some people. So that'll be my last post on the matter.
Okay, fair enough. It's just odd that you say "rarely does anyone else profit" when he bowls alongside the likes of Lee and Bracken, who are very fine one day bowlers. Either they profit too and aren't very good, or Hogg is a good (and underrated) bowler, which he is IMO.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Shut up Richard. Gosh. Not now please.

Awesome ODI bowler, was so good in the World Cup. Really enjoyed him in the team. Proud to have cheered him on at his last SCG Test Match.

Can't understand why so many people are for Hauritz's inclusion? Figures tell the story of how he's gone this season tbh. McGain or Heal without a doubt.

pasag

RTDAS
Superb ODI player who I always felt could be quite servicable in Tests over the next year or two once he got one of the best spin playing nations out of the way. I guess we'll never know. Would have been nice to see him retire after the Champions Trophy, but I guess finishing off at home is what most players want. The news was a bit of a shock really, given how fit he is and how much he seems to enjoy himself.

deeps

International 12th Man
i love hogga, always giving 150% and bowling so good, particularly at one day level.

didn't really cut it at test level, but he played India alot, who are of course the masters of spin bowling... Warne averaged over 50 against India, and so did Hogg, I thought he came in for some undeserved critisicm there.

he lives not too far from me, i've seen him a few times, genuinely nice bloke

I got the feeling punter didnt like him though... he was almost always in the side when Waugh was captain, and once ponting took over, he really had to fight... and even in the tests, i don't think ponting gave him the support he needed to succeed

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
i love hogga, always giving 150% and bowling so good, particularly at one day level.

didn't really cut it at test level, but he played India alot, who are of course the masters of spin bowling... Warne averaged over 50 against India, and so did Hogg, I thought he came in for some undeserved critisicm there.

I got the feeling punter didnt like him though... he was almost always in the side when Waugh was captain, and once ponting took over, he really had to fight... and even in the tests, i don't think ponting gave him the support he needed to succeed
Hmm did he play any games under Waugh. Didn't he make is ODI debut the season Waugh got dropped from the ODI team.

sideshowtim

Banned

Hogg is actually well reputed as a very good mate of everyone in the team and someone everyone loves having around. Punter speaks very highly of him in his tour diaries so I dunno where you get the idea that Punter doesn't like him much from.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hogg is actually well reputed as a very good mate of everyone in the team and someone everyone loves having around. Punter speaks very highly of him in his tour diaries so I dunno where you get the idea that Punter doesn't like him much from.
The continual selection of seamer ahead of Hogg. But most of that was due to pitch conditions. As soon as they played on less seamer friendly pitches or a spinner friendly one, Hogg usually came back in.