• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hogg announces his retirement

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rumour is he was sent a postcard by the entire Indian top-order saying he'd be missed. :ph34r:

The above may or may not be a total lie.

sideshowtim

Banned
Mere speculation, but could the sudden retirement have been influenced by the charge laid against him after the Sydney test? I'm guessing that it wouldn't have exactly increased his love of the game.
I think it had more to do with the fact that he's almost 38 (not an uncommon age to retire at all), and he also cited "personal reasons" that he had to sort out at home.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, or not.
Why not? Cullen is a good OD bowler, and his record shows it. Don't forget the selectors love affair with him as well. At this stage, I'd say his only real competition for the ODI spot is Hauritz. McGain has bowled well in the FR Cup this season, but I can't see them debuting a 35 y/o in ODI cricket, when there are 2 much younger bowlers, who are just about as good, and offer more in the field, and with the bat (well Hauritz certianly does).

As for Heal, sure he's bowled well in OD's this season, but he has a lot of catching up to do if he wants to compete with Hauritz or Cullen and grab the ODI spot vacated by Hogg. Doherty would probably be ahead of Heal as well actually.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I guess tests against India was the last straw... ;)
Hogg has been bowling fairly well the last few seasons in domestic cricket. He can bat as well. He could have played a few tests for Australia in the next 1-2 years had he not announced his retirement imo. Any way, that's his choice.

Was a very handy cricketer who added a lot to the ODI side.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
As for Heal, sure he's bowled well in OD's this season, but he has a lot of catching up to do if he wants to compete with Hauritz or Cullen and grab the ODI spot vacated by Hogg. Doherty would probably be ahead of Heal as well actually.
Don't care much for the figures in the Heal vs Cullen debate. Heal has clearly bowled better this season. And crucially at the death as well tbh.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not saying he hasn't bowled better than Cullen this season. However over the course of their respective careers, Cullen has been the better OD bowler (well IMO anyway). That combined with with selectors love affair over Dan, is why I say that Heal has a lot of catching up to do.

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I feel Hogg knew himself he wasn't up to it as a test spinner so he called it quits.

He had already been part of 2 World Cup winning teams so their was really nothing left for him to achieve in ODIs.
The other thing left was to have a go at tests, and when the opening came he went for it. But after a mediocre test summer he knew he was going to find it difficult from now on to hold his place, so that was it.