• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Herschelle Gibbs arrested

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gibbs must have been nigh on paralytic for from experience the South African police are fairly lenient when it comes to such things. That's presumably why the death tolls on the roads are so high.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't get custodial sentances for drink-driving. :mellow:

EDIT: except in rare cases, so it seems. :blink:

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Poor thread IMO. Lots of random people get done for drunk driving weed smoking et al, hardly see the point of making such an unholy fuss over one guy cos he gets his paychecks from CSA and does his thing on TV.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone who gets caught drunk-driving deserves to be stigmatised, the fact that he is in the public eye means of course there will be more reaction.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who gets caught drunk-driving deserves to be stigmatised, the fact that he is in the public eye means of course there will be more reaction.
Indeed. His also a cricketer and guess what, this is a cricket forum. Not sure why one shouldn't post such news as andruid was suggesting.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not judging him on his ganja smoking exploits, would be very hypocritical of me to do so; but driving intoxicated is really ****ty. Considering who he is it's not like he didn't have any other options available to him to get around.

Protean

State Regular
Poor thread IMO. Lots of random people get done for drunk driving weed smoking et al, hardly see the point of making such an unholy fuss over one guy cos he gets his paychecks from CSA and does his thing on TV.
Erm, sorry, you might think it's okay for national heroes to do whatever they want but I hold them to a higher standard than that. Nothing I don't hold myself to either by the way. What if it affects his career, will it be of interest then?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
match fixing, racist remarks, spoking pot, now DUI, the guy has done it all.

That said, He is an awesome cricketer, one of my favorite Saffies.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I'm not judging him on his ganja smoking exploits, would be very hypocritical of me to do so; but driving intoxicated is really ****ty. Considering who he is it's not like he didn't have any other options available to him to get around.
Pretty common in South Africa though AFAIK.

Protean

State Regular
And knowing what I know from speaking to our resident South Africans Richard "Langeveldt" Hingston and Kev "Goughy", drink-driving is alarmingly commonly present in South Africa. It's hardly going to help seeing Gibbs be caught for it, but equally it's not as if the problem isn't already considerable.
Pretty common in South Africa though AFAIK.
I know this is over dramatic, but you know what else is common in SA? Rape, murder, armed robbery, hijacking and pretty much every crime you can think of. So yes, drunk driving is common too, doesn't mean we should accept it as the norm or as not that bad.