• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden vs Sehwag (+ other tasty treats)

Who is the better batter?

• Sehwag and I care about FCA (first chance average)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Sehwag and I don't care about FCA

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Hayden and I care about FCA

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Hayden and I don't care about FCA

Votes: 28 58.3%
  • Richard

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
AWTA, wait till Sehwag is finished IMO. Either way, he won't be too far off Hayden. And in a way, I'd rather not compare him to other openers. There is only one Sehwag.
Yes. Sehwag vs Gilchrist might be a better and more interesting comparison.

10 times is prob pushing it but I would def. have Gilly over Sehwag every day of the week in ODI.A comparison between the two in tests is pretty pointless given the respective numbers they batted at.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
lol sehwag is better hands down.

Sehwag is far, far superior to Hayden.

Averages are 54 vs 50 and strike rates are 82 vs 60.
Sehwag has been not out 3.5% of his innings vs 7.7% for Hayden and still retains an 8% higher batting average with a 40% higher strike rate. lmfao not even close.

The only blemish in sehwags career is his low 3rd and 4th innings avergae of 29. Whle haydens in 51. On the other hand sehwags 1st and 2nd innings average is 70. Yes thats right, 70. While hayden is around 49. OBV he maintains his 80+ strike rate.

Hayden averages 43 away and 57 at home.
Sehwag averages 51 away and 57 at home.

Discounting Zim and Bang Hayden = 49 (while 2 of his centuries go away)
Sehwag = 54.5 (none of his centuries go away)

haha im sitting here loling at the idea that "sehwag is a flat track bully" Thats why he averages 51 away?...riiiiight.

Last edited:

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Sehwag is a 1st innings bully and has failed in SA,NZ & Eng where the ball moves a bit. Hayden is a far superior bastman overall.
I admit that sehwag cant follow up his 1st innings performance at all.

But saying sehwag fails in sa nz and eng and then ignoring haydens performance there is slightly hypocritical tbh. Sehwag averages 27 there and hayden averages 33. Neither of them have any ability in those countries it seems?

So point 1 goes to hayden and point 2 hayden edges ahead slightly.

Lets look at the other points though.
1st inning performance-sehwag
performance away overall-sehwag
performance at home-equal
Overall average-sehwag
strike rate-sehwag (albeit not as important in tests)
performance against only the top sides-sehwag

Flem274*

123/5
Context guys. Back in 2008 Hayden was ahead. Hayden still might be, but yeah it is closer now because of what Sehwag has done since 2008.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And what should one do to be not considered a "bully"? Score fewer runs? Or at slower pace? Even on "flat tracks" and in first innings no one scores as many runs as fast as Sehwag does. Givve credit where it's due ffs.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Not about scoring fewer and more about scoring in all conditions and situations. Not many have done that in the game's history though.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In 2008, Hayden was comfortably ahead for mine. Two years later, I find them hard to separate. Both would open for my post 1990 World XI's (marginally ahead of Graeme Smith).
Both unbelievable batsmen on flat-tracks & neither really tested enough on traditional NZ/pre-June English conditions to say otherwise.

Teja.

Global Moderator
For Batsman who have started their career around 2000(I know Hayden played a few in the mid-nineties but yeah), I'd have Sanga>Sehwag=Hayden.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two years ago, it was Haydos easily.

Harder to split now. Both are awesome at home, and merely decent away. Plus, Sehwag also goes on more with his big scores (even if Hayden had the highest test score of all time).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I actually hope Sehwag improves on the weakpoints of his game - which will ultimately mean he is better than Hayden - because seeing it happen will be awesome.