• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

Cloete

International Captain
andyc said:
Care to explain to those not versed in our domestic football/soccer history?
Leeds beat Derby 1-0 (I think) in injury time with a Harte penalty after Carbonari "hacked" Harry down from behind in the 18 :D

That came just after we had beaten Spartak in the UEFA.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
Care to explain to those not versed in our domestic football/soccer history?
It was probably no more or no less than any other player in history has ever done, but his blatant dive in the penalty area the fifth minute of injury time when Horatio Carbonari went to tackle him stuck in my craw.

It wasn't the fact that it was a penalty, the proximity to the end of the match or the fact that he'd conned the referee. It was the fact that it was right in front of where I was sitting (by now standing, shaking my fist naturally), and the guy, while pretending to be hurt, had this stupid grin on his face.

It was also the start of Derby's wheels working loose.

I've hated Leeds United all my life, it seems, and this incident just typifies why they are despised - and not just by me.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cloete said:
Leeds beat Derby 1-0 (I think) in injury time with a Harte penalty after Carbonari "hacked" Harry down from behind in the 18 :D

That came just after we had beaten Spartak in the UEFA.
A more blatant dive I have seldom seen.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cloete said:
Yeah it was slightly theatrical :p

IIRC Spartak weren't too happy with us either. :laugh:
Like I said - no worse than anyone else, but because it was smack bang in front of me, it just stays in the mind and becomes mentally embellished over time.

It probably didn't happen anything like I remembered.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
How so, since they won both games?
Don't you know?

England's opponents are rubbish, therefore vicariously England are too. Brazil etc are just 'slow starters' against great sides like Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Some sides have looked at themselves and realised that the best way to go out is to ensure they're as hard to beat as possible.

Nothing wrong in that, and in a way it makes the whole competition that much better because there aren't the 1-sided games.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Don't you know?

England's opponents are rubbish, therefore vicariously England are too. Brazil etc are just 'slow starters' against great sides like Australia.
It's not their opponents, it's Eng's style of play

pasag

RTDAS
Jono said:
Anyone know whether Kewell has been given a suspension or fine yet?
He has to explain himself today I think, and the decision will be made before the Croatia game.

social

luckyeddie said:
I agree that it's tedious and over-cautious. Perhaps things will change when it comes to the knock-outs.
To be fair to Eng, they've done everything expected of them in qualifying. It's simply disappointing to see them abandon the attractive and expansive game they played in the lead-up to the tourney.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
It's not their opponents, it's Eng's style of play
What the style of play that seems to work fairly well against sides showing a modicum of ambition you mean?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
To be fair to Eng, they've done everything expected of them in qualifying. It's simply disappointing to see them abandon the attractive and expansive game they played in the lead-up to the tourney.
Maybe not so much abandoned, possibly more put on hold.

We'll see later on - tonight, for instance, there should be absolutely nothing at stake.

andyc

Am sure you all know already, but good to see Kewell let off without a suspension.