• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Costa Rica rolling over Italy would be one of the biggest upsets ever wouldn't it?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All the Letters in Costa Rica can be found in Alastair Cook's name, I think Penis Moron should get on to this, clearly #Cooksfault we're out of the World Cup.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair play Costa Rica - thoroughly deserved.

Australia and England both out in the first week. Fun while it lasted.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to take your hat off to Costa Coffee. They've eliminated two former winners.

First group stage exit since 1958 for England, ftr. Woy keeps his job.

Hmm.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Look what Costa Rica did: 3-5-1-1 (or 5-4-1), flooded the middle and forced Italy to play out wide where they're weaker. What does Hodgson do? Play 2 in the middle against 4 midfielders.

Hodgson was the wrong choice from the beginning and it was obvious. In truth, he's a dumb **** of a manager; totally outdated tactics for this era of football.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd need to check, but I think it's unprecedented that we've gone out after two group games in a major tournament.

Even in 1950, when we famously lost 1-0 to the US, we were still a chance if we won our last game.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd need to check, but I think it's unprecedented that we've gone out after two group games in a major tournament.

Even in 1950, when we famously lost 1-0 to the US, we were still a chance if we won our last game.
Yeah pretty sure that's right - this is England's earliest ever tournament exit.

I was thinking Euro '88 must have been close, but I think England could still mathematically qualify depending on results in the third match.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We've only ever gone out at the group stage in South America too iirc. Never hold a World Cup there again IMO

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sweden is in South America iirc :ph34r:

But actually until today I was sure 50 was our only group stage exit so must have just made it up

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
England's youngsters. So good they are scary said Gerrard pre-tournament. Nice trolling that.