• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - France, Denmark, Tunisia, Australia

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
22 November 2022
France v Australia

22 November 2022
Denmark v Tunisia

26 November 2022
France v Denmark

26 November 2022
Tunisia v Australia

30 November 2022
Tunisia v France

30 November 2022
Australia v Denmark

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I haven't followed our qualification journey at all. What do we have ahead of us? Peru probably beat us as constructed.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I haven't followed our qualification journey at all. What do we have ahead of us? Peru probably beat us as constructed.
There’s an AFC playoff against the UAE, and then the winner plays Peru for a World Cup spot.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got a feeling Aus aren't going this time. Genuinely been bad for quite a while now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Socceroos live on then.

More than slightly spawny deflection on the winner but, as always, it's how many not how they're scored that counts.

Only saw a three minute highlight package, but it looks like the UAE got quite a lot of joy running at the Aussie fullbacks.

If they hadn't been so set on trying to beat Ryan at his near post (spoiler: they didn't) and actually crossed a few could well have been a different result.

the big bambino

International Captain
Based on highlights both sides were unlucky to miss but also lucky to score. My soccer mad son tells me we're no hope v Peru though; so we'll likely sit out this WC. Maybe some future hope with the likes of Alou Kuol scoring with a scorpion kick in the U23 Asian Cup in the draw v Iraq. We've always lacked for flair and I hope he develops and brings that quality to the senior side. The centering pass from Rawlins was top notch too.

Aritro

International Regular
Based on highlights both sides were unlucky to miss but also lucky to score. My soccer mad son tells me we're no hope v Peru though; so we'll likely sit out this WC. Maybe some future hope with the likes of Alou Kuol scoring with a scorpion kick in the U23 Asian Cup in the draw v Iraq. We've always lacked for flair and I hope he develops and brings that quality to the senior side. The centering pass from Rawlins was top notch too.
I didn't imagine we'd have much hope either but I've just looked at their squad and while it's probably better than ours, there's not that much to write home about. They've only got two players in Europe's big four leagues: a striker at Benvento in Serie A, and Tapia, a defensive midfielder, at Celta Vigo with some good clubs on his CV before that as well. Based on a feature I watched earlier on Optus, their talisman seems to be a playmaker called Cueva who plays in the Saudi league, which isn't a ringing endorsement, but they seem to revere him so I'll assume he's one of the gun foreign players who raise the bar in that league.

Most of the rest seem to play their club football in the Americas and in the Middle East, which isn't a sign of a high class team. But to be fair, that includes a few players at top clubs in the Mexican league, which is a genuinely pretty strong league with big clubs and good players on big salaries, as well as a couple at Argentine giants Boca Juniors and one at the big Chilean club Colo Colo. There's a few in the MLS as well, which is a better league than people assume but still pretty meh.

We've got Hrustic doing well in the Bundesliga with Eintracht Frankfurt, an assortment of players in second-tier European leagues and the second divisions of big European leagues, a few in the Middle East and Japan/Korea and a few at home in the A-League. Based on those admittedly rather speculative reference points, both teams are pretty mediocre by global standards and the difference between them isn't vast. But given they've finished above Colombia, Chile and Paraguay in qualifying, they can probably be assumed to be a fair bit better than us. We're also missing Harry Souttar and Tom Rogic, which won't help matters.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Thanks that's a great review of both teams. You'd always have to favour the 5th South American team but they've fallen before. I hope Australia wins as I won't have anyone to follow with Italy also out. Hrustic looks special. That volley off the left foot was remarkable though I liked a free kick he took near the box against Japan (I think) even more. Curling the ball over the wall and dropping it over the keeper's back. Hopefully he'll eventually usurp Tim Cahill's position as our best ever.

The game's at Doha and I think that gives us an advantage in playing in the conditions. Either way I think Australian soccer has to be disappointed with its bumpy ride during qualification.

Burgey

Another regulation qualification for our blokes. Now into second favourites for the tourney overall with the bookies

Burgey

Can a mod please change the thread title so it accurately reflects the composition of the group?

Aritro

International Regular
That was a masterclass in not losing until you have managed not to lose. Both teams attempted the same tactic manfully, but we avoided defeat with greater conviction and composure.

Fkn stoked for Arnie. The bloke's been through hell leading a very ordinary group of players through a predictably turgid campaign and been unfairly panned for it. You could see the pure release of emotion when he did his post match interview.

I think we're at a bottoming out stage with this group. This is hopefully the worst team we'll have, with what seems to be some better young talent coming through the ranks to replace them in the coming years. To make the World Cup anyway is a huge bonus.

Whatever their failings though, they exhibited the sort of wholehearted effort and fearlessness under pressure that we expect from Socceroo outfits. If they can do more of that in November, it won't be embarrassing.

Last edited: