• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Austria, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Ukraine

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Not the finest 60 seconds from the goalkeeper, having failed to kick the ball out for a throw in moments before conceding to a fairly weak header.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Strange to see a keeper running across the pitch screaming at a linesman. If it’s offside it’ll be disallowed anyway, if it isn’t he just looks like a tit.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
my radio has given up finding anything positive in the Austrian football performance and are reduced to playing Falco - Der Kommissar for any glimmer of positive things from Austria

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As the boy Loinaker (©Mick Channon) observed the Ukraine/Austria game is set up for a nice little carve up. Draw likely puts them both through.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As the boy Loinaker (©Mick Channon) observed the Ukraine/Austria game is set up for a nice little carve up. Draw likely puts them both through.
Possibly at the expense of Denmark too, just to heighten the villainy.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Did you ever come across the famous letter to The Guardian about the boy Lineker during the 1986 WC?
Following Channon's penchant for telling us how well he's done, some wag wrote in suggesting that 'done good' should be a new verb in the Oxford English dictionary, declining 'I done good', 'You done good', 'He, she or it done good, 'We done good' and 'The boy Lineker done good.'

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Did you ever come across the famous letter to The Guardian about the boy Lineker during the 1986 WC?
Following Channon's penchant for telling us how well he's done, some wag wrote in suggesting that 'done good' should be a new verb in the Oxford English dictionary, declining 'I done good', 'You done good', 'He, she or it done good, 'We done good' and 'The boy Lineker done good.'
Ha, no that one had passed me by.

I do have very fond memories of Mick's analysis in that tournament though. He was a wonderfully unreconstructed old school football man and we were constantly being advised that,

"Well, for me, Loinaker's gotta be more positive", and that,

"He's gotta get up the front; into the box. That's how you score goals!"

All delivered in that wonderful west country burr whilst Brian Moore and the pre-alcoholic Brian Clough raised wryly knowing eyebrows.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I remember that. Channon was going on about getting men forward into the box and saying “Why can’t we do it? The Germans do it.” Brian Clough just said “Educated bees do it”.
There was also a Not the 9 0’Clock News send up of Mike Channon from an earlier time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I remember that. Channon was going on about getting men forward into the box and saying “Why can’t we do it? The Germans do it.” Brian Clough just said “Educated bees do it”.
There was also a Not the 9 0’Clock News send up of Mike Channon from an earlier time.
Knew someone would've uploaded it:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aw jesus, is he really talking over Brian Clough to explain how easy football management is. It’s like a piece of performance art illustrating the concept of Mediocre White Man Confidence.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was pleasantly surprised Austria beat Ukraine.

Not because I have a dog in that fight, but it does remove the whiff of collusion.