• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oz will go out in round 1

They've picked a test side (supplemented by a few ringers) who'll have their eyes firmly set upon the Ashes and will will be gone before they knows what hit them

jondavluc

State Regular

They've picked a test side (supplemented by a few ringers) who'll have their eyes firmly set upon the Ashes and will will be gone before they knows what hit them
:huh:

David Warner
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Symonds
Michael Hussey
David Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Nathan Hauritz
Brett Lee
Nathan Bracken
Peter Siddle
Ben Hilfenhaus
James Hopes
Michael Clarke

I don't know what makes you think that is a test side.If that was the squad they announced for the Ashes I would have cried. Besides Micheal Clarke, and Ben Hilfenhaus.I can't think of too many in their who you would call a "Test" player.One day squad Yeah possibly but Test I can't agree with.

Last edited:

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
David Warner
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Symonds
Michael Hussey
David Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Nathan Hauritz
Brett Lee
Nathan Bracken

with Siddle only being rested so he can play Ashes. :D
The eleven looks about right although Haddin certainly wont bat at three; probably moved to below Dussey with everyone else moving up. Would also presume that they will play Clarke, whether its a good idea or not.

I might go:
David Warner
Shane Watson
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Symonds
David Hussey
Michael Hussey
Micheal Clarke
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Nathan Bracken

A bit batting heavy perhaps, but with enough options.
A variation would be to replace Clarke or Mussey with Siddle or Hauritz.
Hopes and Hifenhaus I see as being players unable to offer anything decent to the team and would therefore not play them at all.

cheers

inbox24

International Debutant
Hahahaha, your best work yet.

Thinking

David Warner
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Symonds
Michael Hussey
David Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Nathan Hauritz
Brett Lee
Nathan Bracken

with Siddle only being rested so he can play Ashes. :D
Exact same side, except replace Ponting with Ferguson, and bat Ferguson lower.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
SL's opening is little bit of a problem. Dilshan is in form, but I am not sure how he'll handle Lee and Johnson coming 90mph at him. Jayasuriya will be hit or miss, and SL should not get him in to the equation. Sangakkara opening against AUS and SAF who has genuinely qick bowlers would be better IMO, as Sanga likes quick bowling. Dilshan had all his succes in IPL batting at #3/4.

My side would be,

Jayasuriya
Sangakkara
Dilshan
Jayawardane
de Saram
Matthews
Maharoof
Kulasekara / Thushara - former against AUS because can bowl the yorker very well.
Murali
Malinga
Mendis

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd be tempted to reinforce the batting, lots of bowling already there. Helluva team though. Migara for Sri Lankan selector.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
problem is we have only two big hitters (Jaya and Maharoof) and another one mid way (matthews). Unfortunately, Dilhara Lokuhetty has lost his form. This was a Symonds-esque guy who could clear a 80m boundry withe ease.

SL has to be flexible in theor batting line up.It's no point sending Jayawardane when only five overs are available. Maharoof should have the opportunity to play last 5-6 overs in SL innings.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I was just thinking about how I'm not sure Matthews fits into the lineup when Sangakkara, Jayawardene and to a lesser extent Dilshan are already covering the bases for the anchor role (though all can strike the ball). Roofers is a good option for same late over slogging but I can't see Angelo taking to the role with the same gusto.

Expecting big things from De Saram though.

The bowling (MMandM) pretty much secures 12 overs for 72-96 (6rpo-8rpo) expect them never to concede more than 100 between the 3 and if they get going they'll never even come close to it.

160 would be a very good score against Sri Lanka, and I'm pretty sure that these guys can chase it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What really should be Australia starting XI?. Still a big mystery i guess.

Presuming Watson can bowl, im leaning towards this XI:

Haddin
Watson
Ponting
Symonds
M Hussey
Clarke
D Hussey
Hopes
Johnson
Lee
Siddle

On evidence of the warm-ups, still believe this is how Australia should line-up. Hopefully Siddle being attacked vs NZ was nothing much, since having 3 90 mph bowlers againts the likes of India & SA will be a HUGE asset.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
On evidence of the warm-ups, still believe this is how Australia should line-up. Hopefully Siddle being attacked vs NZ was nothing much, since having 3 90 mph bowlers againts the likes of India & SA will be a HUGE asset.
Hope not, in only that Hopes doesn't belong anywhere near the XI.

Would prefer Hauritz or Warner, but preferably Bracken.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hope not, in only that Hopes doesn't belong anywhere near the XI.

Would prefer Hauritz or Warner, but preferably Bracken.
Hopes bowling is a liabilty yea. But so would Hauritz in T20s. But with Watson's ability to bowl still up in the air, its safe to keep Hopes who gives solid batting @ 8.

Wont start Bracken in a 4-man pace attack. Johnson's batting in this format @ 8, had to be more decisive.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Good points, however I don't value as highly as you the importance of the number 8 batsman, if i did I'd play warner, move haddin to 8 and let Symonds/Dussey/Clarke/?Watson bowl more overs (have equal faith in their bowling as hopes).

I think that we would get more value out of that spot with a better bowler and bracken is the most likely. Aussie tail is pretty good and I think they could do a job ok on the rare occassion in 20-20 that their needed.

agree totally that this would be far more clearcut if Watson could be counted on to bowl.

cheers

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I somehow feel Warner would be found out in this tournament. Bring on the spinners.

The danger men are going to be the two allrounders...

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
I was just thinking about how I'm not sure Matthews fits into the lineup when Sangakkara, Jayawardene and to a lesser extent Dilshan are already covering the bases for the anchor role (though all can strike the ball). Roofers is a good option for same late over slogging but I can't see Angelo taking to the role with the same gusto.

Expecting big things from De Saram though.

The bowling (MMandM) pretty much secures 12 overs for 72-96 (6rpo-8rpo) expect them never to concede more than 100 between the 3 and if they get going they'll never even come close to it.

160 would be a very good score against Sri Lanka, and I'm pretty sure that these guys can chase it.
Just wish they give De sarem a fair go, in warm up match he batted 7. While Chamra silva and Muba are equal to de sarem i dont see them hitting big boundries as much as De sarem.

He has to bat at number 4 splitting sanga and mahela. I dont believe Sl can set any target above 160 though. Its good they have very good bowling line up.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The warmup match has showed inability of Jayasuriya to handle quick stuff in the face of his dwindling reflexes. Let Sangakkara and Dilshan open, the former technically most able against fast men, and infact loves them early on, and the latter with the sharpest reflexes. Jaya can bat against likes of Hopes, Hussey, Hauritz, Symonds et al. My playing XI would be,

Sangakkara, Dilshan, Saram, Jayasuriya, Jayawardane, Silva, Matthews, Kulasekara, Malinga, Murali and Mendis.

shivfan

Banned
The forecast is for a lot of rain on Saturday in London....

Is there any contingency for the match to be replayed on another day? Or would it be abandoned as a no-result and points shared?

Redbacks

International Captain

I think the media in Australia are trying to pretend the tournament isn't even on. Have seen nothing but xx days till the ashes promos on fox sports. I presume they don't have the rights then... :p

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The forecast is for a lot of rain on Saturday in London....

Is there any contingency for the match to be replayed on another day? Or would it be abandoned as a no-result and points shared?
Noooo... :( I've been looking forward to this for the last year.

Edit: actually, forecast is for a couple of showers. Fingers crossed should be fine.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Symonds gone = Oz gone
If they can get Hodge in and Clarke plays like he did in the warm-ups then we may have a chance.

However, CA are too stupid to do the former and the latter is unlikely (and will make me look very silly!)