• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Australia, South Africa, Scotland, Holland

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I guess I phrased it wrong. It's fine to criticize players for doing stupid things (like madly slogging and bowling too many no-balls), but when there is such a deal as hitting out and hitting 6s, it's much easier said than done.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't agree with the notion that people can't criticise players and situations because they don't understand what it's like.
You can IMO criticise but there comes a point where you have to understand the pressure and intensity of a major sporting match and you can't just say as PF say'd "I'm going to hit this ball for 6".It not as simple and easy for one to play by instinct and try and whack every ball out of the park.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess I phrased it wrong. It's fine to criticize players for doing stupid things (like madly slogging and bowling too many no-balls), but when there is such a deal as hitting out and hitting 6s, it's much easier said than done.
Kallis showed virtually no intent to hit boundaries when the team desperately needed them. That deserves strong criticism because he has shown in the past he can up the pace.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
why do people get surprised anymore when kallis does this?
Couldn't agree more. Whilst his selfish attitude and greed for runs works for SA in test matches, he is SA's achilles heel in ODI's. I've seen him do this many times before.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
After reading the last five pages, it just has to be said. How good was Bracken? He was amazing last night, and IMO deserves a lot of praise.

Obviously the South African bowling was their main problem, but Kallis` lax batting meant that the pressure built way too much for himself and the other batsmen. Enough said.

And on Hussey... haha. No arguement. Hodge is a fine reserve batsman and Watson is crucial to Australia`s bowling depth. Australia have the perfect line-up at the moment IMO, and I say that knowing Lee is injured.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Couldn't agree more. Whilst his selfish attitude and greed for runs works for SA in test matches, he is SA's achilles heel in ODI's. I've seen him do this many times before.
That is why he waltzed down the track and got out for 48. If he was so consumed by his average and runs don’t you think he would have got the other two runs first?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
A bit harsh for mine. It could be that the South African management want him to anchor while the rest of them attack. Either way, I don`t think it`s the best solution.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
:lol: at this post.

You don't realise how lucky you are to have a player as good as Jacque in your side. I would give my right arm to have Kallis in the England ODI side. I can think that the only ODI side in the world he might have trouble getting into is the Australian one.

pasag

RTDAS
What was Smith meant to say? We are going to lose by 83 runs?

The heat Smith gets on this forum is ****ing ridiculous.
Totally. Smith is my least favourite player in world cricket, but like Ponting, he seems to get crapped on 90% of the time when he doesn't deserve it. McGrath got **** on in similar circumstances when he predicted a 5-0, but what is he supposed to do? Every player should always go out with the firm belief that they can and will win and for Smith to be honest about that in the media is really something that shouldn't be ridiculed. And I would be 10 times more concerned if a captain said "Hmm, we might win, we'll give it our best chance", that's be poor form on their parts.

Furthermore, I have more than a large hunch that that quote is taken out of context of a full press conference where a reporter asked him a question and he answered it honestly, it's not as if he's shouting it from the rooftops or anything. And just for the record, I've found Smith to have settled down quite abit recently and I was impressed with a) his comments after becoming the number 1 side and b) his comments after last night's match.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
After reading the last five pages, it just has to be said. How good was Bracken? He was amazing last night, and IMO deserves a lot of praise.
He was good, but it wasn't one of his best performances. He didn't do much with the new ball (though not many people did), and when he came back into the attack Australia were right back in the game, and he pretty much ended the contest with a few tight overs, then came back again for two wickets with the tail.

All the bowlers were pretty good but had bad patches. I'd say Tait was the pick of them because of his spell in the middle overs.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Totally. Smith is my least favourite player in world cricket, but like Ponting, he seems to get crapped on 90% of the time when he doesn't deserve it. McGrath got **** on in similar circumstances when he predicted a 5-0, but what is he supposed to do? Every player should always go out with the firm belief that they can and will win and for Smith to be honest about that in the media is really something that shouldn't be ridiculed. And I would be 10 times more concerned if a captain said "Hmm, we might win, we'll give it our best chance", that's be poor form on their parts.

Furthermore, I have more than a large hunch that that quote is taken out of context of a full press conference where a reporter asked him a question and he answered it honestly, it's not as if he's shouting it from the rooftops or anything. And just for the record, I've found Smith to have settled down quite abit recently and I was impressed with a) his comments after becoming the number 1 side and b) his comments after last night's match.
Its the English mentality... Supposedly you have to accept defeat and cricketers who talk themselves up like Smith, McGrath and KP are frowned upon because in England you are expected to be subservient and subsequently mediocre. No point playing the game if you don't expect to win and the only times it gets annoying is when you are as **** as Paul Nixon.

Zinzan

South Africa lost partly because Kallis helped the required run rate spiral out of control. Stop trying to judge Kallis' innings by a general ODI standard. This was a game where 350 was somewhere near the par score, not 250. Just below a run a ball was not good enough. After Gibbs went the onus was on Kallis to hit a few boundaries because he was the in-batsman. Instead he just kept prodding singles and taking the odd dot and piling all the pressure on Prince and then Boucher who'd just come out. Even as it became obvious Boucher was struggling to score and the RRR was rising Kallis kept driving singles. This was the passage of play that killed SA off. The RRR went from 8.63 when Gibbs departed to nearly 11 when Boucher went and Kallis made no attempt to stop the rise.
Totally agree with this assessment, Kallis may have played some elegant shots but he somehow thought they were chasing 270

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
One the point of Graeme Smith, how good did he look last night?

Edit: Batting wise, I promise :ph34r:
Smith has a surprisingly good record against Australia (in ODI) but like Hayden given a flat track you are on a hiding for nothing and what is pretty impressive is that is off side game has improved (was non-existent six months ago).

Zinzan

:lol: at this post.

You don't realise how lucky you are to have a player as good as Jacque in your side. I would give my right arm to have Kallis in the England ODI side. I can think that the only ODI side in the world he might have trouble getting into is the Australian one.
Firstly NZ are my side not SA and secondly i'd never doubt Kallis is a classy & talented cricketer. Maybe i'm off the mark for saying it, but from what i've seen of him over the years I get the distinct impression he plays for Jacque Kallis first and foremost, and i don't think this attitude always helps SA in onedayers, especially chasing large scores.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It's quite clear that Australia would never have got that amount had Pollock not bowled like fool. Likewise with Ntini and Langeveldt. From what I saw, they bowled too full and too wide at Hayden and Gilchrist early on, and failed to get much better in the middle overs. They bowled pretty decent at the death, which has been a problem for SA recently.
Yeah, that is how it usually happens. One team plays poorer than the other, and eventually loses.

pup11

International Coach
Amazing game yesterday, but got to say Aussies still need a lot of improvemet in their bowling.

I think Hogg and Tait were really good yesterday and were really the difference between the two teams in the end.

The stage from where the aussies pulled off the game was almost unbelievable, it would have been too much for me to see them lose again after scoring so many runs.

P.S: Haydos you bloody beauty!!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, that is how it usually happens. One team plays poorer than the other, and eventually loses.
If you had actually bothered to read the context of the post, rather than making some smug, self satisfied comment, you would have realised that it was in repsonse to another users post.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If you had actually bothered to read the context of the post, rather than making some smug, self satisfied comment, you would have realised that it was in repsonse to another users post.
I did read the context, which still makes your statement look unnecessary.

The better a team bowls the less they will concede and the worse they bowl the more they will concede. I don't see what you're discovering there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What point are you trying to make? He offered his opinions as to where he felt SA went wrong. If you're gonna crap on posts like that, then you have to question why you're at an internet forum. Might as well just look at the stats, rather than trying to analayse what went wrong and why.