• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Australia, South Africa, Scotland, Holland

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Might as well pad up now, don't want to gift bowlers who don't deserve nice figures free wickets.

pasag

RTDAS
All over! Brilliant stuff from the Australians here, especially from Tait and Hogg during the crucial 30-40 over mark. Really good feeling coming from this, nice to beat the number 1 side every once in a while :p Finally going to bed, thank God for the end of daylight savings, would be nearly 9am otherwise.

I also think people who look at the scorecard wont realise how much chance SA had to win this and were cruising at one stage. If Smith wouldn't have gone down....

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Good stuff from Bracken getting the final wicket - he was far and away the most economical bowler. Very good performance all round from Australia :)

Hoggy got more wickets this game too - hopefully he has cemented his spot in the side again now.

oz_fan

International Regular
Great win by Australia. They did well to fight back after SA got off to a good start. Australia's bowling seemed to improve the further they got into SA's innings and Hogg and Tait in particular bowled really well.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
All over! Brilliant stuff from the Australians here, especially from Tait and Hogg during the crucial 30-40 over mark. Really good feeling coming from this, nice to beat the number 1 side every once in a while :p Finally going to bed, thank God for the end of daylight savings, would be nearly 9am otherwise.

I also think people who look at the scorecard wont realise how much chance SA had to win this and were crusing at one stage. If Smith wouldn't have gone down....
For sure and one thing for is certain is that both teams are dead certs for the last four, alongside Sri Lanka the rest of the pack look pretty far behind.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit confused about this post Brumby.

Win or lose, I think you can hardly fault Graeme, considering the mental edge SA and NZ have over Australia in chasing down big totals. If the ball moved around early, advantage South Africa. If it didn't, ah well let's chase 400 with out batting line-up which stretches till 9.
If that was Smith's thinking then he's even more culpable, as far as I can see. It may be true that Oz have had a few big scores chased down recently, but not being able to defend 340+ is a problem most teams wouldn't mind having to solve! You score that many & you'll win more often than you'll lose.

Surely any captain worth his salt looks at the pitch before making a decision? It was obvious from the off that the pitch was flat as, so I still say Smith dropped a moderate sized bollock by inserting Oz.

Beleg

International Regular
Not really, I don't think WI and NZ are too far behind.

In any case, if blame can be pointed at any single person, it's Kallis. His innings really messed up the tempo of the run-scoring; I think the management should have realized that and promoted Gibbs, or even Prince. There needs to be a transitionary player in the middle-order (the likes of Inzamam, Sangakkara, Lara) who can smooth things over from an opening blitz to the lower-order hitting on-slaught and Kallis, unfortunately, isn't cut for that job.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not really, I don't think WI and NZ are too far behind.

In any case, if blame can be pointed at any single person, it's Kallis. His innings really messed up the tempo of the run-scoring; I think the management should have realized that and promoted Gibbs, or even Prince. There needs to be a transitionary player in the middle-order (the likes of Inzamam, Sangakkara, Lara) who can smooth things over from an opening blitz to the lower-order hitting on-slaught and Kallis, unfortunately, isn't cut for that job.
? I would have put Ntini in front of him. If South Africa are going to see flat wickets in Guyana then Loots Bosman should be brought in. He would have loved it against the likes of McGrath and Watson, Tait would be to quick for him and Bracken to smart but he would have been of more value than Ashwell. 50 overs is not enough time for him, especially on these wickets.