• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Australia, Bangladesh, England, New Zealand

cnerd123

likes this
How great was it when we beat England and then they toured India where we thrashed them

Follow that up with the Sri Lanka tour and Australia's visit and it was such a great summer. We'll just pretend NZ never happened

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How great was it when we beat England and then they toured India where we thrashed them

Follow that up with the Sri Lanka tour and Australia's visit and it was such a great summer. We'll just pretend NZ never happened
Mother****er. This is like a goddamn puzzle.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Just too many "we's" in all of this for my stomache.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
No Sodhi and no Henry. Both of these guys would get a start for a few other ODI teams. The batting might be average and includes Ronchi!!!!, but there is plenty of bowling depth.
It's not a terrible squad. Henry's absence is a little baffling, though. Along with Boult and Milne, they make up the three best ODI fast bowlers we have - so it's a bit stupid to see him miss out. Moves I would have made:

Henry in for Southee
Bruce in for Broom
Blundell in for Ronchi
Kuggeleijn in for McClenaghan
Maybe Worker in the squad as well. Possibly for someone like Neesham or just a direct swap with Latham.
Very rough on Sodhi, after the selectors pushed him out halfway through the last series because they'd suddenly remembered that Patel's played in England before. Henry continues to suffer for a single bad series against Australia too, though I suspect the selectors are relying on him to be in the UK playing CC anyway, for the inevitable injury callup (probably Milne).

Wicketkeeping is still a 8-) and likewise that there's no new middle order batsman; both of these were already set in stone I suppose, as they didn't trial anyone else in the recent ODI series.

The core of the team is still good enough to be competitive, though we'll need a century from someone in the top 4 in every knockout match.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I'm shocked that anyone wouldn't want McClenaghan there if fit ... thought he was our best limited overs bowler the season before last, before his injury troubles.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest, suspect England's batting more likely to go ballistic against NZ than Bangladesh.
I think we're less likely to see the recent high scoring run fests that we have seen during India-England or Australia-South Africa or WC 2015 where 380 plays 350 given the timing of the tournament. The usual high scoring games where England blast their way usually takes place during England's regular ODI season in September. The June period might see some help for the bowlers.

We'll still see high scores, but at a lower scale if the previous tournament around the same time is anything to go by, more like 280-330

Results | ICC Champions Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think we're less likely to see the recent high scoring run fests that we have seen during India-England or Australia-South Africa or WC 2015 where 380 plays 350 given the timing of the tournament. The usual high scoring games where England blast their way usually takes place during England's regular ODI season in September. The June period might see some help for the bowlers.

We'll still see high scores, but at a lower scale if the previous tournament around the same time is anything to go by, more like 280-330

Results | ICC Champions Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo
The series which started this England fast scoring took place at exactly the same time of the year as this tournament is going to so not sure your hypothesis is right...

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The series which started this England fast scoring took place at exactly the same time of the year as this tournament is going to so not sure your hypothesis is right...
My hypothesis is based on the previous Champions Trophy but I take your point.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
See that makes no sense. My avvie is BD player. I supported BD over India in every match the two sides have faced in. Not once in my life have I rooted against BD. I was involved in the Nat setup for BD in Battrick, FTP and Stumped.

Flip-flopping Indian fan? Sure. Newbie bandwagoner for Hong Kong? Fair enough. But I'm as committed a BD fan as you'll ever see.

Which is why us thrashing your lot will be so much fun. I bet England still have the scars from the Test match #Dhaka2016 #NeverForget
Surely you must be due for some lifetime contribution award from Bangladesh Cricket Board by now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm shocked that anyone wouldn't want McClenaghan there if fit ... thought he was our best limited overs bowler the season before last, before his injury troubles.
You reckon? The very definition of hit or miss imo. For starters I think we have 3 or 4 better new-ball ODI bowlers. I'll give him that he's a better death bowler than Henry and playing the IPL surely helps him improve from matchplay in those pressure situations. Probably slightly better than Southee at the death too, though it's not like he's great. So, I don't disagree with his selection over Henry, but it's not one I'm overly excited about either.

S.Kennedy

England's hysterical media and some of the fans are overrating England's chances for this competition like England football fans overrated their 1990s - 00 'urine generation' duds in successive FIFA World Cups. You do know that there are other teams competing and the thing has to be played out?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I do think that the England ODI team post WC 2015 is a tad overrated purely because of the way they play which is such a contrast to what people are used to expect from England ODI teams throughout history.

Yes they are a vastly improved side than anything England have put forward this side of the 92 World Cup, but at best they are mid tier side based on results since WC 2015

New Zealand: 3-2
Australia: 2-3
Pakistan: 3-1
South Africa: 2-3
Pakistan: 4-1
Bangladesh: 2-1
India: 1-2
West Indies: 3-0

The only impressive result from the above is the 3-2 against New Zealand. Otherwise, they have lost to every other top side and the ones they have beaten are the likes of Pakistan and West Indies, the two bottom ranked ODI sides in the world. Winning in Bangladesh was impressive too.

So that's 2 wins and 3 losses against decent sides. Not a bad record by any means, but that's a mid tier team, not a top team.

S.Kennedy

England have only won one ICC competition ever and they're being hyped up as if they are some sort of one-day superpower. I mean even in their home one-day series victories they tend to leak the odd defeat. Isn't this a knock-out competition?

Howe_zat

Audio File
England have only won one ICC competition ever and they're being hyped up as if they are some sort of one-day superpower. I mean even in their home one-day series victories they tend to leak the odd defeat. Isn't this a knock-out competition?
I see that you've not been sufficiently outraged by posts on the forum so have made something up to pop your monocle over.

unless you say by who and when this is pointless gibberish

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
England performed well in the 2015 Champions Trophy with a less talented side.

Knockout cricket is always unpredictable though.