• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Australia, Bangladesh, England, New Zealand

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ don't deserve to fluke their way in after that embarrassment, but odds on that NZ will beat Bangers and England to beat Australia seeing NZ make it through.

Burgey

You're backing England, actually anyone, in what's effectively a knock out game against Australia? Can understand it, but it's gutsy

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So Channel 9, an independent, private organisation, hired independent financial analysts who found that C9 is losing money on their cricket coverage has something to do with CA trying to screw players over their contract row?

Spikey

That same week Craddock in News Ltd had a piece about how C10 could be unable to bid on the BBL, which means that given C7 really isn't in a position to bid,the next BBL rights could be lower than expecting. And obviously that piece implies that the next international rights could be lower than expected too. Somehow I doubt CA were disappointed to see it run when it did. And then an CA board member happened to go onto C9 and state the CA position and slam the ACA without any real opposition. It's really all doom and gloom for Australian cricket right now. The players should take the deal and run before the game goes broke....

Basically get back to me in like February with these articles. I see absolutely no reason to believe they're anything but part of the game between CA and ACA.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
That same week Craddock in News Ltd had a piece about how C10 could be unable to bid on the BBL, which means that given C7 really isn't in a position to bid,the next BBL rights could be lower than expecting. And obviously that piece implies that the next international rights could be lower than expected too. Somehow I doubt CA were disappointed to see it run when it did. And then an CA board member happened to go onto C9 and state the CA position and slam the ACA without any real opposition. It's really all doom and gloom for Australian cricket right now. The players should take the deal and run before the game goes broke....

Basically get back to me in like February with these articles. I see absolutely no reason to believe they're anything but part of the game between CA and ACA.
I've mentioned this a few times but a financial analysts report will not be influenced by CA unless said analyst wants to never work again and face potential (albeit slightly unlikely) jail time for not fulfilling their fiduciary responsibility to investors. I'm not pretending financial industry is squeaky clean or anything like that but analysts reports are done in lions share of cases to protect investors not the investee

Daemon

I've mentioned this a few times but a financial analysts report will not be influenced by CA unless said analyst wants to never work again and face potential (albeit slightly unlikely) jail time for not fulfilling their fiduciary responsibility to investors. I'm not pretending financial industry is squeaky clean or anything like that but analysts reports are done in lions share of cases to protect investors not the investee
Of course, but I think Spikey is referring to the timing of the report.

C9 or it's shareholders likely didn't need an independent analyst to tell them they're losing 40m a year on international cricket.

Now of course they might have requested one simply because they want to know where they stand before entering negotiations with CA and the ACA thing is unrelated, but I understand where Spikey's coming from.

91Jmay

International Coach
Of course, but I think Spikey is referring to the timing of the report.

C9 or it's shareholders likely didn't need an independent analyst to tell them they're losing 40m a year on international cricket.

Now of course they might have requested one simply because they want to know where they stand before entering negotiations with CA and the ACA thing is unrelated, but I understand where Spikey's coming from.
Yeah the report was not done for C9 though, that's my point. The bank did either an annual or quarterly report for their shareholders to explain the exposure on the stock. He's probably done a similiar report 6 times but given the timing it was given media prominence, now that could well be CA's doing.

That analyst would have done 20 or 30 for various firms depending on his portfolio size.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
NZ don't deserve to fluke their way in after that embarrassment, but odds on that NZ will beat Bangers and England to beat Australia seeing NZ make it through.
Wouldn't be a surprise if Bangladesh were to win that one TBH. They just beat a NZ side which, while missing KW and Guptill, put up a familiar batting effort (200 for 3, lollapse and ambling to 270). Add to that the knock in confidence and pressure of elimination on NZ, the Bangers will be a major threat if they play it smart.

Somehow I'm not backing England to put up a third straight winning performance and Australia's attack might just do them in, but it'll be a super interesting game for sure.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

That's possible. There are two things here 1)the timing of the report and when it was published and 2) the contents of the report.

It's possible it was published and used for other other agendas.
Do you doubt the contents of the report that C9 is losing money on cricket coverage?

Moss

International Vice-Captain
You're backing England, actually anyone, in what's effectively a knock out game against Australia? Can understand it, but it's gutsy
Not a knockout game for England, which might just work in their favour.

Spikey

That's possible. There are two things here 1)the timing of the report and when it was published and 2) the contents of the report.

It's possible it was published and used for other other agendas.
Do you doubt the contents of the report that C9 is losing money on cricket coverage?
Eh, it's one person's analysis. (well there's another one that pops up to say "if no-one bids the bids might not be high"). The guy is just saying that in his view C9 isn't getting their money's worth but it's entirely possible that C9 think they are. I don't think it's a big deal tbh. (I reckon C9's view is probably "We'd get our money's worth if we had TV rights for all the Australian cricket").

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
As a New Zealand fan, are we all over the moon we held onto Ronchi for a largely meaningless tournament and held back the development of another keeper - ie Blundell - and now based on one innings (where have we seen that before...) we may in fact get him for another summer?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm pretty sure it's legally required that you play 1 Wellington old fart in the XI at any given moment.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Bangladesh will be up for it. I think they will do it. Also, though England have qualified, they won't be too easy on their arch rivals. Pakistan has a high chance of going through, so I'm sure England will want to win this game, and face them in the semi finals.

TheJediBrah

As a New Zealand fan, are we all over the moon we held onto Ronchi for a largely meaningless tournament and held back the development of another keeper - ie Blundell - and now based on one innings (where have we seen that before...) we may in fact get him for another summer?
It's amusing seeing Australian domestic reject playing in a key role in an International side

remember Brendan Nash lol

Howsie

International Captain
We all know come the 1st of July Luke Ronchi will be one of the 21 names on the national contract list