• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group 1 (Afghanistan, Australia, England, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Ireland)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I got this vibe too. It would be the best thing he could do and really gain him respect

If this game was in Sydney could have been a very different story. Stoinis, David and co. would be all at sea against the spinners
Yeah, we all knew that, didn't we, this was not Sydney.

Both our games are at Sydney, I'd assume NZ and ENG will win them. But I am pretty sure they may be little uneasy seeing three spinners on that wicket.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, we all knew that, didn't we, this was not Sydney.

Both our games are at Sydney, I'd assume NZ and ENG will win them. But I am pretty sure they may be little uneasy seeing three spinners on that wicket.
We (NZ) might play 3 spinners and 2 seamers (Neesham and Mitchell to help in the seam department) as well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, NZ splattered Australia at Sydney with 3 seamers. Unless the pitch is made from kitty litter NZ should stick with what worked.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well done Ireland, never saw the game as forgot about it and saw the result later in the day. Can't get into this competition at all.

TheJediBrah

Nah, NZ splattered Australia at Sydney with 3 seamers. Unless the pitch is made from kitty litter NZ should stick with what worked.
Yes, Sydney is not some dustbowl that massively favours spin. Even 20-30 years ago it wasn't that and it's not like it was then.

I only brought it up in comparison to Perth which gave SL's spinners, who are completely unsuited to those conditions, nothing to work with.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just remembered that Heinrich Malan is now the coach of Ireland. For those who aren't aware, he's the guy who Kyle Jamieson credited for helping to transform him from a middling domestic plodder into the beast of a bowler he became in 2021.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Who's to credit for him reverting to a plodder in 2022

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just goes to show much broader context is absolutely vital to a compelling sporting event.
Yeah it reminds me of what I said in the baseball thread on here. I'm sure I'd be a huge fan of baseball if I had friends and family who cared about it, but I don't so I don't follow it at all. So much of following sport, even as a neutral when 'your team' isn't playing, goes beyond the actual entertainment value of the game itself and into the broader context, conversations, social events you can have around it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it reminds me of what I said in the baseball thread on here. I'm sure I'd be a huge fan of baseball if I had friends and family who cared about it, but I don't so I don't follow it at all. So much of following sport, even as a neutral when 'your team' isn't playing, goes beyond the actual entertainment value of the game itself and into the broader context, conversations, social events you can have around it.
Heh, I remember a good bit on John Oliver and Andy Zaltzmann's old podcast the Bugle where they spent the first 10 minutes of it raving about what a great game of World Series baseball they'd just watched. One of the players after the game said "This is what baseball is all about" and Zaltzmann sniped that a more accurate assessment might've been "Closely fought, statistically significant and with the result having real implications for the players and fans...this is what baseball is almost never about."

TheJediBrah

NZ upsets most hated rivals in first game, England lose to minnows

Shocking that a kiwi loves the tournament and a pom "can't get into this competition at all" :dry: