• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell Vs Rahul Dravid - who was the better test match batsman?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well the wi teams warne played weren't particularly great shakes vs leg spin and warne did ok (imo) vs them. And wi warnes time<< 80s. Kallicharan would've torn warne apart.
Alvin barely played post 81 didn't he? I certainly agree that overall the WI side of the 80s was miles better, but Lara of course was a superb player of spin, even Carl Hooper played it pretty well. It's probably all relative, in that the 80s side was so dominant against manly bowling that its weakness vs spin may seem worse than it actually was compared with other outfits. I just have recollections of Bob Holland causing them problems, and of course TOTAB jagging 11 for the match in Sydney too.

the big bambino

International Captain
There is a difference in the number of batsmen putting up those averages though, and it's not just due to more teams playing these days. In the 80s and 90s, no one except the truly elite put up 50+ averages. In the 2000s a bunch of good but not clearly not ATG players started doing it too.

Social definitely selling Smith short imo. Some of the attacks today are superb and honestly better than most of the 2000s attacks Ponting/Dravid faced.
Its actually been remarkably consistent over the decades but just a couple of things. Some exceptional averages in earlier eras have been the result of those men playing fewer innings in comparison to more modern times. Without selling them short I think Headley and G Pollock are examples. I think the more innings you play has a negative impact on your average because its simply too difficult to maintain a 60 average over a long period of consistent play.

Maybe leading with my chin here but I think you are right about the 00s. That being a decade where the batting average is higher compared to others. So maybe Viv and Greg get points adjusted for that. Agree with the point about Smith and though not mentioned, Kohli - who is as competent player of all types of bowling I've seen. I think that can be said now after he reversed his previous results v Anderson.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Having grown up in the pace is god era, I got my first reckoning as to how good and valuable leg spinners were when I saw Sivaramakrishnan bowl to and make a fool out of Allan Lamb. Just could not believe how such a world class player could look like he'd never held a bat in his life. It was an amazing transformation and he looked like he didn't belong on a cricket field.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
See also Smith, Robin.

It's no coincidence that the rise of spin, and in particular finger spin, has coincided with the rise of SJWs and incels. Finger spin is precisely the cricketing discipline those sort of people enjoy.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Decade by decade there is little difference between batting averages. Rate Viv and Chappell all you like but the conditions were not uniquely or even bowler friendly.
Big difference between Australian conditions in the 70s when compared to today

Brisbane & Perth were lightning quick, MCG was simply awful on many occasions while Sydney was a great cricket wicket (seamed early, spun late) and only Adelaide was flat

Nowadays, most are flat with Adelaide probably the best for bowlers when day/nighters are played as they keep grass on to protect the ball plus they've brought the ropes in

Impossible to prove obviously but I reckon that you could add substantially to the averages of guys like Chappell and Border

social

The last part. Warne would've cleaned up the Windies??
70s/80s Windies

Most of those guys were very comfortable against pace but were far less assured when it came to spin bowling

Part of the reason was that there weren't many top class operators around (see stats for 70s & 80s spinners below) but they also didn't play them much and could rely on their pace bowlers to smash the opposition anyway

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

One of the reasons why Warne was such a revelation is that aside from Qadir, there had not been a quality leg spinner in the game for more than 2 decades before he came along (you can ignore Chandra as he was totally different) so would have posed far different challenges to the Windies than they ever faced

Slifer

International Captain
70s/80s Windies

Most of those guys were very comfortable against pace but were far less assured when it came to spin bowling

Part of the reason was that there weren't many top class operators around (see stats for 70s & 80s spinners below) but they also didn't play them much and could rely on their pace bowlers to smash the opposition anyway

One of the reasons why Warne was such a revelation is that aside from Qadir, there had not been a quality leg spinner in the game for more than 2 decades before he came along (you can ignore Chandra as he was totally different) so would have posed far different challenges to the Windies than they ever faced
Hmm yeah I could see warne maybe troubling wi in Australia especially in Sydney but inevitably he'd have to play the wi in the wi. There like all other spinners, he'd be taken to the cleaners.

stephen

Chappell is miles ahead of Dravid. It's not even close.

Having said that Dravid is one of the few Indian batsmen I've seen who I'd have been proud to call Australian.