• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest West Indian Batsman

Who is the greatest West Indian Batsman

• Total voters

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Brian Lara
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
George Headley
Someone else

Probably one of the most contentious arguments one could ever have. For me there is no doubt in my mind that Viv Richards was by far the best batsman from the West Indies (and a definite top 5 of all time). Stats dont truly reflect the master batsman he was but even the stats he does have reflect the career of a batsman well ahead of most of his contemporaries as well as his fellow West Indian greats

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Headley the first great and greatest great for my mind. Sobers next - the fact that he was an all-rounder means plenty of people underestimate him as a batsman in my mind - and Lara next, possibly for no reason other than that he was the first outstanding West Indian I ever saw.

However good Richards might've been, the reality is that he wasn't quite as good (some might say anywhere near as good) as his admirers wanted him to be. Still, obviously, was magnificence, and the notion that he was > Lara isn't an outrageous one at all.

Then there's the Weekeses, Walcotts, etc. And that lot may have been unfortunate that they never got the chance to form an unequivocal case to be ranked alongside Headley, Sobers, Lara and Richards.

AaronK

State Regular
Sir Viv was great.. but I voted for Lara..because i just loved his style.. he was just great to watch..specially against Spin..

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Richards just ahead of Sobers, Sobers just ahead of Lara, all three well ahead of also ran Headley - There is no someone else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because of the fact you're among the many posters on CW who vote irrelevant option every time.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Headley averaged about 64 before the war in a side where he was the only test-class batsman. Although pitches were probably flat at times, that is still a very good effort. He couldn't help his low number of tests.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
For me:

Viv
Headley
Lara
Sobers
--------------
Walcott
Weekes
Worrell
--------------
Chanderpaul
Kanhai
Lloyd
Nurse
Hunte
Kallicharan
Greenidge
-----------------
Richardson
Rowe
Butcher
Stollmeyer
Fredericks
Haynes

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always amazed at the number of great West Indian batsman, I think that because as a nation they are so famous for the fast bowlers I tend forget that they arguably have the strongest batting in test history.

Days of Grace

International Captain
You could easily have Headley, Lara, and Sobers as your middle order in an alltime test XI.

Richards would miss out because he would be competing with a certain D. Bradman for no.3.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Always amazed at the number of great West Indian batsman, I think that because as a nation they are so famous for the fast bowlers I tend forget that they arguably have the strongest batting in test history.
I'm not saying that you're wrong for sure but it definitely is a good debate. Like if you ranked the top 20 West Indians vs the top 20 Australians it would be close.

I get the feeling that if we did just the top 6 to 10 Windies would come out on top, but the higher the number (like a top 20) Australia would come out on top.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yes, I agree.

Just want to add one thing to the debate: Of the four batsmen mentioned, it could be argued that only Viv Richards played with the world's best bowling attack for the majority of his career. Therefore, he never went up against the world's best bowling attack of his time.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not saying that you're wrong for sure but it definitely is a good debate. Like if you ranked the top 20 West Indians vs the top 20 Australians it would be close.

I get the feeling that if we did just the top 6 to 10 Windies would come out on top, but the higher the number (like a top 20) Australia would come out on top.
Yeah i agree which is why I said arguably, think West Indies just edge it though. England not a millon miles away but the fact that most of their great batsman are pre-war puts them comfortably lower.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
In terms of depth I would give the edge to Australia and England simply because they started playing test cricket decades b4 the WI. Obviously South Africa had a jump start on the WI as well but they were banned for almost 20 years when cricket was at its peak in terms of quality sides (70s and 80s).

For me England would look like this:

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Sutcliffe
-------------
Barrington
Compton
Pietersen (yes i already thinks he is that good)
-------------------
May
Dexter
Amiss
Boycott
Gooch (stats be damned)
Leyland
Gower
Cowdrey
--------------
Thorpe
R Smith
Edrich

And Australia:

Bradman
-----------------
-----------------
Chappell
Ponting
Waugh (S)
Border
---------------
Hayden
Hussey
Harvey
Walters
McCabe
Ponsford
Lawry
Langer
Simpson
Hasset
Morris
D Jones
----------------
Clarke (M) (for now)
Gilchrist
Martyn
Boon
Slater
Taylor
Ian Chappell
-----------
Waugh M

Left/missed out a few because of lack of knowledge (ex Trumper) or just forgot.

Last edited:

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Some observations from the lists would show that England seem to almost have an endless stream of very good/great opening batsmen. WI/Aust have the edge as far as middle orders are concerned. And as stated prior many of Englands greats were pre WW2.