• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Sportspersons/athletes of All Time

Ali TT

International Debutant
Of course Spanish football in the 2000s and early 2010s never had any question marks over it. Just good training that meant the national team, Real and Barca were all able to press full pitch for ninety minutes and the players still sprint at top speed over and over again up to the final whistle every match.

Molehill

International Captain
Of course Spanish football in the 2000s and early 2010s never had any question marks over it. Just good training that meant the national team, Real and Barca were all able to press full pitch for ninety minutes and the players still sprint at top speed over and over again up to the final whistle every match.
Yep, that was the Nadal link.....

Although, didn't Keane/Neville say something similar about Juve?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tiger was far more dominant than Messi or Djokovic before his wife tried to impale him with a 9 iron
Not that familiar with golf numbers, but isnt far more a stretch? Messi got 95 goals and 25 assists or something dumb like that one year.

Molehill

International Captain
Not that familiar with golf numbers, but isnt far more a stretch? Messi got 95 goals and 25 assists or something dumb like that one year.
Tiger Woods stats that will blow your mind! (nationalclubgolfer.com)

Some crazy stats in here. I like the fact he was 86 shots better than the next best across 4 tournaments when he won the 'Slam'. There are other more detailed stats out there that really highlight his supremacy.

It's kind of hard to compare, but at his peak, Tiger was so far ahead of the rest it was crazy. And there were some good players like Mickelson, Singh, Els, Monty etc around too.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Some crazy stats in here. I like the fact he was 86 shots better than the next best across 4 tournaments when he won the 'Slam'. There are other more detailed stats out there that really highlight his supremacy.

It's kind of hard to compare, but at his peak, Tiger was so far ahead of the rest it was crazy. And there were some good players like Mickelson, Singh, Els, Monty etc around too.
Prior to his personal issues, he also had a tournament winning % that was as far ahead of the rest as Bradman

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

And yet Jack Nicklaus won four more majors than the guy over roughly the same time period, probably didn't **** as many coctail waitresses though, so yeah give it to Woods.

Honestly so many of those Stats are pointless unless we want to consider Steve Flesch the second best player of his age.

Molehill

International Captain
And yet Jack Nicklaus won four more majors than the guy over roughly the same time period, probably didn't **** as many coctail waitresses though, so yeah give it to Woods.

Honestly so many of those Stats are pointless unless we want to consider Steve Flesch the second best player of his age.
Nicklaus won his Majors across 17 years (with one outlier 6 years later at the Masters). Woods won his across 11 years with one outlier some 11 years later. If you gave Woods another 6 years of injury free golf, he'd have taken Nicklaus.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing with Messi is that he was the best in the world in both the unsubtle ways, constantly banging in/setting up amazing goals, and in the subtle ways, doing Iniesta/Ozil/David Silva stuff. I don’t think anyone else has ever been the undisputed best at both at once? Usually just being the undisputed best at one of those gets you on the GOAT list.
LeBron is kinda like this imo. He's one of the best scorers in the history of the sport while also having the passing ability, vision, and understanding of the greatest point guards. At his peak, he could also defend basically any position on the court, so he was basically good to all time great at literally everything a player needed to do. Could argue he's the most complete sportsman from any team sport I've followed.

But the nature of basketball as a sport makes that a bit easier for one player to do all that imo. Messi combining the attributes of a great striker/winger and a great midfielder is more impressive.

Ali TT

International Debutant
LeBron is kinda like this imo. He's one of the best scorers in the history of the sport while also having the passing ability, vision, and understanding of the greatest point guards. At his peak, he could also defend basically any position on the court, so he was basically good to all time great at literally everything a player needed to do. Could argue he's the most complete sportsman from any team sport I've followed.

But the nature of basketball as a sport makes that a bit easier for one player to do all that imo. Messi combining the attributes of a great striker/winger and a great midfielder is more impressive.
WEDONEWITHTHE90S!!

I love basketball and Lebron is remarkable but in the back of my mind, there's always that thought that if a sport selects out 99.9% of the population based upon one characteristic, should I question the best player's greatness?

Saying that, I put Jordan as my all-time #1 across all sports 🤣

Furball

Evil Scotsman

It's also a lot easier to do that with your hands than your feet.

Jumno

U19 Captain
Tendulkar has to be there.

Only cricketer up until then to feature in the times magazine. Richie Beneud featured him in his 11.

Top Wisden cricketers of all time.

Hardest era averaged 59 in test.
World cup most runs.
World cup man of the tournament 03.
Most man of the match awards.
Most hundreds.
Most runs in both formats.
Most tests.
169 Vs SA 96, 145 Vs Steyn, 100 chasing 380 Vs Eng 08. Perth hundreds. 155 Vs Warne facing a deficit. Tendulkar 100 50th test century deficit.
136 Vs Pak 99.
Held innings together Vs SA 2000.
116 Vs Aus in Aus 99 holding innings together.
Old Trafford
Headingley 2002
Australia series in 2008

Odi final wins 100 Vs Sri l 98, CB series 08. 67 titan cup final. Sharjah 98 hundred Vs Aus. 96 Sharjah final Vs South Africa.

Man of the series in Australia 99/00.

His hundreds does not feature in top test knocks top 10.

140 in losing cause odi game Vs Pak 04. 170 odd Vs Aus losing cause odi.

193 Vs Eng 02 won test. Vital madras hundred Vs Aus 01.

It was Tendulkar fires or nothing for Indian fans in the 90s and 00s.

He was literally god worshipped for a time in India. Loved all around the world.

Exceptional conduct and controversy free.

He handled the pressure, fame, mass hysteria very well
Expand

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
All that talent and he never learned how not to travel.