• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Sportspersons/athletes of All Time

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lewis has now broken all of Michael's records, so hard to get past him. Sena and Prost are really close and were very competitive with Max being one for the future, of course Fangio.
Stewart and Clarke along with Seb for the tier below.
You're massively under-rating Clarke.

Fangio, Clarke, Prost, Senna and Schumacher are the OG top 5.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hamilton's career isn't over yet but yes, he would be up there, probably at the expense of Schumacher.

Jumno

U19 Captain
Tendulkar has to be there.

Only cricketer up until then to feature in the times magazine. Richie Beneud featured him in his 11.

Top Wisden cricketers of all time.

Hardest era averaged 59 in test.
World cup most runs.
World cup man of the tournament 03.
Most man of the match awards.
Most hundreds.
Most runs in both formats.
Most tests.
169 Vs SA 96, 145 Vs Steyn, 100 chasing 380 Vs Eng 08. Perth hundreds. 155 Vs Warne facing a deficit. Tendulkar 100 50th test century deficit.
136 Vs Pak 99.
Held innings together Vs SA 2000.
116 Vs Aus in Aus 99 holding innings together.

Odi final wins 100 Vs Sri l 98, CB series 08. 67 titan cup final. Sharjah 98 hundred Vs Aus. 96 Sharjah final Vs South Africa.

Man of the series in Australia 99/00.

His hundreds does not feature in top test knocks top 10.

140 in losing cause odi game Vs Pak 04. 170 odd Vs Aus losing cause odi.

193 Vs Eng 02 won test. Vital madras hundred Vs Aus 01.

It was Tendulkar fires or nothing for Indian fans in the 90s and 00s.

He was literally god worshipped for a time in India. Loved all around the world.

Exceptional conduct and controversy free.

He handled the pressure, fame, mass hysteria very well

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's probably Messi for this era at least. Better at football than lebron is at basketball, than djokovic is at tennis etc.

Molehill

International Captain
It's probably Messi for this era at least. Better at football than lebron is at basketball, than djokovic is at tennis etc.
I think I'd lean towards Djokovic. If he hadn't turned up at the same time as 2 other ATG's, he could easily have ended up with over 40 Slams. Not to mention at least 2 he probably lost to non-tennis reasons.

Ali TT

International Debutant
I think I'd lean towards Djokovic. If he hadn't turned up at the same time as 2 other ATG's, he could easily have ended up with over 40 Slams. Not to mention at least 2 he probably lost to non-tennis reasons.
Can't stand the guy but the best three tennis players of all time, by some margin, are him, Fed and Rafa and he's the best of those three.

According to gen z basketball fans, anything that happened before 2000 was garbage so guess that rules out most of the sports people we've listed.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Can't stand the guy but the best three tennis players of all time, by some margin, are him, Fed and Rafa and he's the best of those three.

According to gen z basketball fans, anything that happened before 2000 was garbage so guess that rules out most of the sports people we've listed.
These 3 and Rod Laver.

Molehill

International Captain

I can't stand him either, but it's hard to fault not only his ability but now his longevity too.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
But you can't control how many others ATGs are around when you play, so how can that be a demerit?
You really can't. I am not counting as a demerit, just that he had more closer contemporaries than Messi; aka he had more competition for the GOAT status of his own sport in his own time.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing with Messi is that he was the best in the world in both the unsubtle ways, constantly banging in/setting up amazing goals, and in the subtle ways, doing Iniesta/Ozil/David Silva stuff. I don’t think anyone else has ever been the undisputed best at both at once? Usually just being the undisputed best at one of those gets you on the GOAT list.

Socerer 01

International Captain
The thing with Messi is that he was the best in the world in both the unsubtle ways, constantly banging in/setting up amazing goals, and in the subtle ways, doing Iniesta/Ozil/David Silva stuff. I don’t think anyone else has ever been the undisputed best at both at once? Usually just being the undisputed best at one of those gets you on the GOAT list.
Messi being the best goalscorer and the best creator in his prime still sounds unbelievable. you give him the ball and he always did something noteworthy then, what a playa