• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest bowling combination ever

Deja moo

International Captain
Wasim-Waqar on their day could beat any other pair .

But for consistency over their careers , I'd go for Pollock-Donald , Walsh-Ambrose, wasim-Waqar . Are McGrath -Warne eligible? They dont bowl as often as the other pairs in tandem.

Nehra-Zaheer are right up there too.

Beleg

International Regular
Wasim - Saqlain were my personal favorite.

But I guess in sheer destruction power few could come close to Wasim - Waqar of early 90's.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
Miller and Lindwall

Trueman and Statham

Holding and Roberts
Good to see someone digging deeper than the last twenty years...... :D

However my vote goes for Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh as they are one of the best pairs of fast bowlers I have seen in my lifetime only Wasim and Waqar can be compared to them in modern times. The two of them have given so much to West Indies cricket and have done a marvellous job for the west Indies over the years. One clear memory of them is when they destroyed India in Barbados when India needed something like 120 runs to win and everyone thought the west Indies were out of the game and so many people did not go down to watch on that last day. Many people regretted this because the West Indies went on to win the game that day mainly because of the two of them and everyone who missed that days play regretted it.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd go for Wasim & Waqar...i'll never forget Pakistan's tour to NZ in 1996 where they literally blew us off the field everytime they bowled.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
Tim said:
I'd go for Wasim & Waqar...i'll never forget Pakistan's tour to NZ in 1996 where they literally blew us off the field everytime they bowled.
yeah did anyone else had as lethal swingin yorkers as they had

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
My vote goes to Lillian Thomson.

Wasim/Waqar, Bedi/Chandra/Prasanna and Holding/Roberts/Marshall/Croft all deserve honorable mention.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Western Warrior said:
Good to see someone digging deeper than the last twenty years...... :D

However my vote goes for Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh as they are one of the best pairs of fast bowlers I have seen in my lifetime only Wasim and Waqar can be compared to them in modern times. The two of them have given so much to West Indies cricket and have done a marvellous job for the west Indies over the years. One clear memory of them is when they destroyed India in Barbados when India needed something like 120 runs to win and everyone thought the west Indies were out of the game and so many people did not go down to watch on that last day. Many people regretted this because the West Indies went on to win the game that day mainly because of the two of them and everyone who missed that days play regretted it.
Interesting that you should mention that match, because I thought that match was one of the finest exhibitions of bowling on a double paced wicket. They never bowled bouncers, yorkers or outswingers. They simply put the ball in good length areas at good pace and the pitch did the rest. Also, Lara's captaincy that day was almost magical.

Answering to the topic, I cannot look beyond Ambrose/Walsh and Wasim/Waqar, although I have to say McGrath and Gillespie both at their best can be almost as difficult as Ambrose and Walsh.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Deja moo said:
Nehra-Zaheer are right up there too.
Surely a joke.

Me....um all time favourite is Miller + Lindwall.

I cant split Wasim/Waqar, Warne/McGrath, Holding/Marshall for title of best I've seen.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I agreen with most in saying Wasim and Waqar are the best combination, and my others are McGrath/Warne, Holding/Marshall and Ambrose/Walsh

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
The 2 W's and no there is no bias in me.....

Lillie and Thommo would also have been lethal but I was not really around at the time to appreciate them..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
purely in terms of entertainment, and they weren't bad bowlers either, merv hughes and craig mcdermott. both gave everything - and had quality zincage.
scare value - lillee and thommo
most likely to get you out - wasim and waqar
most likely to go for 7 and a half an over in a wc final - nehra and khan :)
best spinners - may and warne early 1990s (although didn't bishen bedi have a partner in crime?)

best - curtly and courtney. quick, great lines, could swing it, cut it, bounce it, do anything with the ball, won matches with their opening spells