• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grand Slam Draft Tournament

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO, the slight advantage NUFAN gains with his batting is nullified by the sizeable advantage Andrew gets with his bowling

AndrewB gets my vote

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
IMO, the slight advantage NUFAN gains with his batting is nullified by the sizeable advantage Andrew gets with his bowling

AndrewB gets my vote
Whenever a batsman who is an occasional bowler comes on Doug Walters gets a mention. Hed get about 6 opportunities per Test to prove his partnership breaking skills. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to go with AndrewB, I think.

The batting is pretty close, Noofs's openers are probably ahead, but Bandy's middle order of Compton, Pollock (G), Donnelly and Lloyd is pretty sumptuous and Pollock (P) at nine suggests a depth that dear old Deadly filling the same spot in Noofers's XI doesn't. Inglorious Basterds does have a bit of a tail like a rat, in fact. Garth has vertigo at 8 and Ernie T not batting 11 speaks volumes.

It's tight, but leaning towards AB, especially if it was in England where Dougie Walters famously stunk up the joint.

Noofs's spinners are clearly ahead, Mankad is no mug, but he's no Derek Underwood and Chandrasekhar is an infinitely better spin twin than Compton with his Chinamen could dream of being.

AB's seamers are superior by just as much as Noofers's spinners though. Pollock (P), Snowy, Bedser and Barlow (with back up options in Boycs and Lloyd in the unlikely event they're ever needed) is a vastly better battery than any that has Dougie Walters as first change, decent as Toshack and McKenzie were.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was there any obvious quick bowlers that were missed? I did consider Neil Hawke, couldnt find anyone else.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't know about pace bowlers but Mushtaq Mohammed (b November 22, 1943) is a big name that missed out imo.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vanburn Holder was available, 109 wickets at 33. But I guess not much better than the options you went with

Howe_zat

Audio File
Peter Lever could p'raps have gotten a gig at #8 but probably wouldn't have made the attack more threatening.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
The Geoffs Dymock and Arnold were possible picks, but I don’t know that they’d strengthen either side.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thanks guys. Yeah Bruce Taylor is a good one. Would have fitted in nicely at 8.

I didnt even notice Mushtaq Mohammad and yet id picked him in an earlier round and did view Hanifs birth year.

MushMo is a funny one. Loved how he fit my team earlier, but I dont know about this XI. I cant really work out a way for him to be included and make the team better.

Howe_zat

Audio File
NUFAN won the toss and opted to bat first on an excellent batting surface.

Snow and Bedser were able to make early breakthroughs for the Andrews, dismissing NUFAN's openers in the teens, before Hazare was forced to retire hurt after refusing to wear a helmet. Chappell and Barnes responded positively, bringing up the NUFANs' hundred on the stroke of lunch. The middle session was a display of great batting from the pair, Sid Barnes leading the way with some dazzling strokeplay as the partnership grew.

After tea Besder got the breakthrough, dismissing Barnes for 94, but Chappell carried on just as he had be going, completing a fine hundred. He was out to Pollock, but the Andrews failed to make the new ball count, Walters and Lindsey striking cleanly in the final hour to take NUFAN to 366/4 at the close.

In the morning John Snow struck to claim the wicket of Walters, and while Denis Lindsey attempted to guide the tail, Snow ran through the NUFANs' lower order to complete a five-wicket haul. Lindsey was the last man out as NUFAN posted 425 all out.

The Andrews got off to a steady start, negotiating the new ball to reach 34/0 at lunch. But midway through the first session 'deadly' Derek Underwood struck twice in two overs, with the economical Toshack removing Boycott at the other end. Pollock and Donnelly steadied things with a strong partnership taking the Andrew's total past 200, but Donnelly fell late in the day as the previously expensive Chandrasehkar picked up his first wicket.

By the third day Clive Lloyd's fifty had brought the Andrews back towards parity, but they still started day three 175 runs adrift. Walters and Underwood combined to make great use of the old ball, with Tallon and Pollock falling in successive balls. Toshack finished things with the wicket of Snow, earning NUFAN a lead of 148.

The second innings began in shambolic fashion. Len Hutton was run out in the second over. Bedser and Snow picked up a new ball wicket each, and with Hazare still unable to bat, the NUFANs went to lunch on day three effectively 35/4 in their second innings.

Barnes and Walters began to pull away, but the NUFANs were reduced to 69/5 as Andrew's new ball pair came back on. Some stability returned with Walters and the unfancied McKenzie able to put on enough of a partnership to boost the lead into safer waters. Their stand got NUFAN to 119/6, a lead of 267, at tea.

When John Snow struck again to remove Underwood and Toshack, the target still seemed chasable. But the last wicket pair of McKenzie and Chandrasehkar defied all odds, and Andrew's bowling attack, to put the lead beyond reach. Snow was made to wait for a deserved five wicket haul as the pair upped the ante to a round 200 before the last wicket fell, McKenzie notching a valuable half century, and Chadrasehkar just missing out. The target was 349.

Faced with a huge target and two remaining days, the Andrews were not going down without a fight. While Boycott accumulated, Barlow was a man on a mission, raising his half century from 60 balls as NUFAN's attack wilted. At lunch the chasing side were 112 without loss.

Underwood would be the man to get the breakthrough, removing Barlow for an enterprising 67. But despite Compton being removed for 22, the day belonged to Andrew. Geoff Boycott rolled back the years with a typically unyeilding hundred, and Pollock joined in to put on a stand of 93. At 270/2, the hard work had been done and Boycott's dismissal by Underwood hardly seemed to matter. Pollock made a half ton and Donelly and Lloyd both contributed.

On the last day NUFAN needed a miracle with the score at 320/4. And they very nearly got it. Donnelly and Mankad fell in quick succession to the fast bowlers, before Lloyd and Pollock - the latter notching a king pair - departed in successive balls. With barely a few runs needed, the Andrews got home with only two wickets to spare.

HKUglj9.pngoHMwLms.pngvo1NFvU.pngqXniZED.png

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Epic, what a win for Andrew.

Two points - Chandra with the bat is amaze.
- Wheres Hazares concussion sub :p

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, Chandra unbeaten in both innings and scores 50+ runs total. He has the reputation of someone who will be #11 in a team of #11s.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How does the program simulate injuries... that's interesting. Probably why Nufan's team didn't win.