• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grand Slam Draft Tournament

Howe_zat

Audio File
So on the strength of that I'm voting AndrewB

I think I'm right in saying that every toss winner who has given up the first pick to choose parameters has failed to win, with the exception of AndrewB who did it in every round

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Far be it from me to doubt the wisdom of the sim, but Chandrasekhar's batting is something of a surprise.

Famously one of one two test players who've played 30 or more tests to have taken more wickets than scored runs.

Sir Christopher Martin the other.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I'm right in saying that every toss winner who has given up the first pick to choose parameters has failed to win, with the exception of AndrewB who did it in every round
That's an interesting fact. And I think Nufers was unlucky enough to lose every toss yet bounced back to win every round through some quality drafting.

I've been hanging back this time around but will finally cast my vote for Andrew, who I feel has the slightly better bowling attack, & as others have mentioned, has a bit more batting depth.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
This is still pretty close. Would be good to get some votes from some more people. Jojo, Marcuss, morg & Milenko still have yet to cast their vote. Anyone else who might be lurking is also free to weigh in.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Far be it from me to doubt the wisdom of the sim, but Chandrasekhar's batting is something of a surprise.

Famously one of one two test players who've played 30 or more tests to have taken more wickets than scored runs.

Sir Christopher Martin the other.
almost like he got hit by the underflow problem

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Will probably wrap this up soon if we don't get any more voters. Have noticed certain a participant regularly checking this thread, and in some cases posting, yet for some reason deciding not to vote. So yeah, will keep this open for only a little while longer.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will probably wrap this up soon if we don't get any more voters. Have noticed certain a participant regularly checking this thread, and in some cases posting, yet for some reason deciding not to vote. So yeah, will keep this open for only a little while longer.
Is that me? Oh **** I'm sorry.
I voted for the Basturds.

ataraxia

International Coach
I just couldn't decide. Guess I'll go with the sim. AndrewB.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
God bless you for assuming I knew what that meant.

After Googling it the answer was still to "mathsy" for me to grasp too.
sorry for jargon. the sim thinks he is exactly useless (0) at batting, so subtracts 1, 2 or 3 points from his batting because conditions are tough. as whole numbers work weirdly in computer world (essentially, they always think this number is greater than 0) he's suddenly impossible to get out.

from experience with editing the icc/cricket coach engine this doesn't seem all that implausible

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure what it's like for Cricket Coach, but from my experience with the ICC editor players usually have a minimum of a three-digit rating for their batting ability, so I'm not sure if it's possible for a player to have an overall rating of >0 no matter how unfriendly the conditions are. Essentially its just one giant RNG calculator, so it could just be a massive case of luck that Chandra hit up some decent runs.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I just couldn't decide. Guess I'll go with the sim. AndrewB.
Im totally fine with you voting for Andrew, but I feel like this is a copout answer.

If you cant decide a 2 wicket win in a simulated game where random things happened (chandra big runs, hazare dnb) shouldnt be the reason.

Happy for you to say Nuffers is being a jerk, Andrew gets my vote lol

ataraxia

International Coach
Im totally fine with you voting for Andrew, but I feel like this is a copout answer.

If you cant decide a 2 wicket win in a simulated game where random things happened (chandra big runs, hazare dnb) shouldnt be the reason.

Happy for you to say Nuffers is being a jerk, Andrew gets my vote lol
I've looked over this again and it's the same decision. Tail just too long.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sweet, thats totally fair.

I do agree my 8-11 is very weak. I would just have to have faith that ABs tail wouldnt perform. Just being completely honest here, I dont think I have a good enough bowling unit to skittle thru opposition so id have to back my top 7 to score good runs. ABs quicks are more likely to dominate against weaker batters/tail.

I personally rate my top 7 more but yeah they are going to have to face better bowlers.

Perhaps my team would perform better overs 40-80 when the shine has gone off the new ball?

If you can imagine Chandra and Underwood bowling unchanged all session it starts getting interesting, but id select Amdrew's team if I was voting.

I lost it when I allowed his 3 quicks in consecutive picks.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess it's time to make it official & declare AndrewB the winner. Thanks everyone for giving this a go. The idea wouldn't have come to life without all of your participation, so thanks once again for getting involved!

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was a great idea and a lot of fun

The first round seemed like a bit of a dog's breakfast from afar(i had the bye thankfully) but it ran smoothly from the quarters onwards