• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith warns Panesar of racist abuse

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nishant said:
soory guys...but can't start a new thread for some reason! Anyway, i though this would fit in with this thread quite nicely;

I'm the captain of my cricket team and the coach has asked me to make a tough decision! One of our best batsman was introduced to a new player who is slightly younger but has good potential. The good batsman shouted out that the new guy shouldn't play crciket because he's a jew!

I think that's extremely rude and racist....but should i kick a batsman who has averaged over 50 last season and won plenty of matches for us, or should i keep him on and ignore everything...keep in mind that the new guy isn't particulary happy with what happened!

I think i should kick him out...but its not that easy....any advice?

Well, I think it depends. Was the comment made in jest? I hear comments like that all the time, but they are usually made in jest and everyone, including the victim, knows its in good fun. If it wasn't made in jest, then you as a captain have a responsibility to take action IMO.

I am not sure if kicking him out is warranted, but a suspension for half a season might be a good thing. It also depends if he is sorry that he said it. If he isn't, then kicking him out might be necessary. Keeping him in, and him being insolent about it, would just divide the team into factions and that can't be good for anybody.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
pasag said:
Nope, don't kick him out. Try getting him educated. Send him to a Holocaust centre/ museum or something similar. Anyways, that's only if it was meant seriously, if it was just a poor joke a slap on the wrist should suffice.
If he was serious, then the minimum punishment should be a lengthy suspension. If you want to make him visit a center on top of that, thats fine.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Nishant said:
soory guys...but can't start a new thread for some reason! Anyway, i though this would fit in with this thread quite nicely;

I'm the captain of my cricket team and the coach has asked me to make a tough decision! One of our best batsman was introduced to a new player who is slightly younger but has good potential. The good batsman shouted out that the new guy shouldn't play crciket because he's a jew!

I think that's extremely rude and racist....but should i kick a batsman who has averaged over 50 last season and won plenty of matches for us, or should i keep him on and ignore everything...keep in mind that the new guy isn't particulary happy with what happened!

Just tell him that it's completely out of order, and that if he says it again you will kick him out of the club. That's if it was made with malice though.

pasag

RTDAS
silentstriker said:
If he was serious, then the minimum punishment should be a lengthy suspension. If you want to make him visit a center on top of that, thats fine.
The thing is, going on limited information here, if it's the first time something like this has happened and if there are no rules in place and he is sorry, I don't see why he should be kicked out for making one stupid comment.

However if it ever happened again, I'd have no problem with agreeing with your suggestion. I also wouldn't want to foster his 'hatred', it could have been just a stupid mindless comment, but banning him may create a real hatred. There are better ways with dealing with these issues than the knee jerk, zero policy ones you suggest.

Also, how good a batsmen he is should never have an effect on anything.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
pasag said:
The thing is, going on limited information here, if it's the first time something like this has happened and if there are no rules in place and he is sorry, I don't see why he should be kicked out for making one stupid comment.

However if it ever happened again, I'd have no problem with agreeing with your suggestion. I also wouldn't want to foster his 'hatred', it could have been just a stupid mindless comment, but banning him may foster a real hatred. There are better ways with dealing with these issues the knee jerk, zero policy ones you suggest.

Also, how good a batsmen he is should never have an effect on anything.
Make him apologize to the jewish player and give him a stern warning. I suppose that could work - assuming he is genuinely sorry and doesn't do it again.

Nishant

International 12th Man
He refused to say sorry straight away! He didn't think he had said anything wrong! He said it as a joke ( a poor joke at that), but thought that ther was nothing wrong! Thats the frustrating thing! Anyway....he said sorry in the end; he was forced into it by the coach.

Langeveldt

Soutie
16 tins of Spam said:
Well firstly, my comment about curtailing freedom was more general. Secondly, I did not advocate tolerating racist behaviour. What I did say is that "initiatives" such as banning alcohol - which Langeveldt suggested - are kneejerk and naive because they punish the majority of people who behave, they won't work because people who are predisposed to making rascist comments probably don't need booze to think the way they do, and in this case it's a way OTT response to a minor problem.

This post is really reiterating points I've made clear previously, so I'm not altogether sure what you're getting at.
Ah everyone thinks like a racist, tell me one human being who doesn't at least think something about someone because of the colour of his skin and I'll be mightily impressed..

Where alcohol comes into it, is it gives your average lout that sense of invincibility and irresponsibility that causes him to blurt whatever he is thinking out..

I'd hazard a guess that 95% of people who are thrown out of cricket grounds are under the influence of alcohol.. I'd rather see one Ashes match played in front of an empty stadium than a blanket banning of alcohol for all future series's, I'm not sure which would be more effective..

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nishant said:

Your club should be happy to have Mel Gibson as a member. :sleep:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I honestly do not think that barring crowds from a test at any venue will have the slightest effect on crowd behaviour once they're let back in.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
I honestly do not think that barring crowds from a test at any venue will have the slightest effect on crowd behaviour once they're let back in.
Haha yeah, it just seems like a waste of time and money really. It's really operating on the assumption that its always the same people who go to the cricket. Like if I went to every cricket match and was entirely set on doing so and racially abusing players each time, and then realised that my desperate need to attend the cricket would be taken away from me if I didn't cut it out. I don't think it works that way. The sort of guy who goes to the MCG, gets tanked and wears blackface will just stay at home and watch the cricket on TV for one test.

And, with the current media sensitivity to the issue, it really only does take a handful of idiots. Hell, even if it's one idiot who racially abuses a player on one occasion, if that player gets asked about racial abuse after the match and says "yeah, one guy called me X", that's still an issue of racial abuse at an Australian cricket ground. It might not have been reported in another year, just like I'm sure the "stupid Indian" comment wouldn't have been, but it certainly would be at the moment.

C_C

International Captain
Gee, i am so surprised that ACB head-honcho is abetting and pandering to racist comments.
Like its so not typical or par for the course.

C_C

International Captain
shortpitched713 said:
Okay, I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. How exactly is "stupid Indian" racist?
shaddap you stupid whitey.

PS: If you found the above racist, so too is stupid Indian. Indian is not just a nationality-its also a race identifier- just like white/aborigines/blacks/arabs/azns etc etc. Besides, this comment is directed at an English citizen - a third generation one at that. Clearly, the connotation is to do with his race, for nationality doesnt even enter the picture.

Last edited:

Nishant

International 12th Man
C_C said:
shaddap you stupid whitey.

PS: If you found the above racist, so too is stupid Indian. Indian is not just a nationality-its also a race identifier- just like white/aborigines/blacks/arabs/azns etc etc. Besides, this comment is directed at an English citizen - a third generation one at that. Clearly, the connotation is to do with his race, for nationality doesnt even enter the picture.

i guess uve made ur point!! :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sutherland, what a jackass.

How many times will "Stupid Indian" be heard at the ground now?