• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glen Mcgrath - Greatest Fast Bowler of all Time ??

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mcgrath is simply amazing and IMO it is his presence in this aussie team that allows the aussie batsmen to be more aggressive and attacking. Even if the entire top order is having a bad day they know that Glen(and Warnie) is there to bowl and that is the reason they never give up their natural style of play.

The Bigger the stage, the betterr the performance, His bowling against the best batsmen (BLC/SRT/RD etc) has been the best and with the exception of SRT(Before 2003) he has had upper hand against everyone. I dont think there is any bowler(past or present) in the world who has dismissed more top order batsmen than Mcgrath. He has hardly missed any game due to injury and whatever injuries he has had, he has come back as strong as he was before the injury.

As far as I remember, he has always been a tremendous leader of the bowling team,Before every series, he says he is going to target the top batsmen, some people take it as arrogance, but I dont remember any series where he has failed to backup his claims.He has supreme confidence in his abilities, therefore If I ever got to pick my world Eleven, the first name I would put down is GLEN MCGRATH.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Actually Ambrose should be in that list too....but not Hall/Gregory/Larwood.... they were nowhere as good and i wouldnt consider Larwood to be any better than Brett Lee.
And why not?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Same goes with Authors/poets/playwrights........Reputation-wise, they are considered the best...but several authors exist today who have a considerably better mastery of the english language, story-plan and layout than Shakespeare.
Oh come on mate. Literal mastery of the English language. Have you ever heard that most lowbrow and oft-used of literary phrases; "clutching at straws"?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I know it`s stupid, as I`m a 16 year-old who hasn`t seen anywhere near as much cricket as so many people... but he`s so damn good. Incredible.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Best ever... I'm not sure, but he'd be one of the first names I'd think about for a world XI these days. Certainly he's in that top eschelon of seamers, with Hadlee, Lillee, Marshall, Holding, Trueman, Davidson etc.

archie mac

International Coach
shaka said:
Davidson?
Alan Davidson of Australia, he played in the 60s the Wasim of his day. The best left handed bowler ever produced by Australia, good batsman and great fielder.

shaka

International Regular
thanks for that, I guess the problem is he only played 44 tests, but his average is really impressive with about 20 in test matches and first class.

C_C

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Oh come on mate. Literal mastery of the English language. Have you ever heard that most lowbrow and oft-used of literary phrases; "clutching at straws"?
When you rate a novel/story/play/poem, it is rated on two components : The quality of the literature( ie, mastery and manipulation of the english language) and the depth/quality of the plotline...
what else do you rate a work by ? Names and stuff dont count..if you were handed a copy of Othello with the name of Shakespeare removed and you've never heard of the story, what exactly are you gonna rate it on apart from quality of literature and quality of plotline ?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
gio said:
hate him with a passion. the sooner he retires the better. It's his gob that annoys me. But he is f*£@ing amazing bowler. The way he gets so close to the stumps and lands on the same spot every time, put together with bounce, seam and swing.... He makes it look so easy. Little c*%t
I used to feel the same, but over the years I've warmed to him. The "big gob" routine is half serios/half tongue-in-cheek. And I'm all for aggresiveness on the field too.

Edit to add: In fact he's gone from my least favourite cricketer to nigh on my favourite in the space of ten years; the difference in views of a 24 year old compared with 34 year old cricket fan. Doubtful I'd have liked Lee back then then either.

Best bowler of my time, but Hadlee was just as acurate and a bit quicker. I'd go:

Marshall
Hadlee
McGrath

..of recent times.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top 3 are Hadlee, Marshall and Mcgrath

following that group are Lillee, Imran and Akram for me

archie mac

International Coach
From 1970-2005

Lillee
Marshall
Wasim

Not on my list, but we should not forget John Snow or Bob Willis of England.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Inside joke. Relax. :)

I can never narrow it down to 'the one' but Glenn McGrath deserves to be rated alongside Lillee, Hadlee, etc.
Yep. And unlike them, he's regularly done the busines on Asian tracks.

C_C

International Captain
he may be better than Lee but not by much.
Against inferior batsman + Bradman he has a similar record as Lee and wasnt anywhere close to bowlers like Lindwall, Miller or Bedser, who followed him shortly ( with the war-gap thrown in for all).

C_C

International Captain
wpdavid said:
Yep. And unlike them, he's regularly done the busines on Asian tracks.
?????

Hadlee in Asia : 13 matches. 68 wickets @ 21.58, 42.7 st/r , 5x5fers, 2x10fers
McGrath in Asia: 19 matches, 72 wickets @ 23.02, 54.8 st/r, 1x5fer
Marshall in Asia: 19 matches, 71 wickets @ 23.05, 48.7 st/r, 3x5fer
Ambrose in Asia: 6 matches, 18 wickets @ 22.50, 56.3 st/r, 1x5fer
Imran Khan in Asia: 51 matches, 205 wickets @ 20.28, 48.8 st/r, 12x5fer, 3x10fer

The best of the very best have got it done in Asia, mate....McGrath isnt the only one.