• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist Pads Up For Channel Nine

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You would imagine 9 will have to get rid of someone otherwise they will be having 4 men commentating.:blink:

I would've thought Warnie would have got a gig by now especially with the work he did during his suspension.
Maybe one or more of Bill, Greigy and Chappel are on their last legs in the box? Need to groom for the future I guess.

R_D

International Debutant
Maybe one or more of Bill, Greigy and Chappel are on their last legs in the box? Need to groom for the future I guess.
One of Healy, Bill or Greigy will go i guess.
Hopefully its Healy.. would enjoy Gilchrist commentating.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I would've thought Warnie would have got a gig by now especially with the work he did during his suspension.
If I remember correctly Warnie was all signed up by channel 9 in anticipation of when he eventually retired then one of his indiscretions annoyed them (might've been the repeated cheating in England in 2005) so they tore the contract up.

Mish

Cricket Spectator
One of Healy, Bill or Greigy will go i guess.
Out of the three, it will be Healy. Lawry, Chappell, Greig and Benaud are contracted until their deaths, or when the universe implodes killing us all.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Gichrist is excellent. I've read some of his articles, and they are eloquent and thoughtful. Along with Lee, probably the Aussie I respect and like the most. He'll be much better than Healy.
:laugh:

I love the fact that people speak of the commentary team like they are a cricket team - it doesn't matter if there are two keepers in the box (my summer would be incomplete without a chance to swear at Healy from the comfort of my own couch).

howardj

International Coach
If I remember correctly Warnie was all signed up by channel 9 in anticipation of when he eventually retired then one of his indiscretions annoyed them (might've been the repeated cheating in England in 2005) so they tore the contract up.
That was back in about 2005. When he retired, he was offered a commentary job with Nine, but knocked it back.

Anyway, as the above article alludes to, I understand that Gilly won't be a ball-by-ball commentator with Nine as such. But I guess more of a comments man who perhaps talks with Nicholas during breaks and leading up to play (more of an on-camera role than in the commentary booth). He won't, as I understand it, be full-time (ie. at every match) either.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree with pretty much everyone in the thread - Gilchrist's always struck me as someone who'd make an excellent commentator. Hopefully he replaces Healy, whether or not space could be made for 2 wicketkeepers.

:laugh::lol: at McNamara BTW.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was back in about 2005. When he retired, he was offered a commentary job with Nine, but knocked it back.

Anyway, as the above article alludes to, I understand that Gilly won't be a ball-by-ball commentator with Nine as such. But I guess more of a comments man who perhaps talks with Nicholas during breaks and leading up to play (more of an on-camera role than in the commentary booth). He won't, as I understand it, be full-time (ie. at every match) either.
God, the world's cushiest job or what? Come in pre-game, at lunch and maybe tea, with a bit of stumps work as well, and have 50 cans in between. He'll be 19 stone by the end of next season!!
I wonder if he might do the cricket show instead of O'Doodle?

howardj

International Coach
God, the world's cushiest job or what? Come in pre-game, at lunch and maybe tea, with a bit of stumps work as well, and have 50 cans in between. He'll be 19 stone by the end of next season!!
I wonder if he might do the cricket show instead of O'Doodle?
Cushy for sure. Only better job is weatherman on the 6pm news.

Yeah I think, when available, the Cricket Show would be a good fit. As I say, his will be more of an on-camera role. He may, who knows, eventually take over the hosting role from Mark Nicholas - which, going by some of the scathing comments, would be cause for celebration on this Forum.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Well the jury's still out on Gilchrist for me. I fear I may find him too earnest and gushing. C 9 needs someone with a dry wit, don't think Gilchrist posesses it.

Son Of Coco

You would imagine 9 will have to get rid of someone otherwise they will be having 4 men commentating.:blink:

I think he cruelled his chances by repeating 'I don't know who's writing the scripts' a thousand times during his final test last year revealing himself to be too eager to wring the life out of a cliche.

bond21

Banned
i love what symonds said.

*Oram hits him out of the ground*

Symonds: ugh i hate cricket.

And no Bill Lawry and Mark Taylor are good commentators, they wont be kicked out. I dont mind Healy, at least he isnt a SOB like Chappell.

Lawry is the most exciteable commentator and he is the only one ive heard who is genuinely excited out of every single country's commentary teams.

You hear him during the T20? He was literally shouting at Hodge to get the ball and stop the boundary. I would imagine he wouldve been out of his seat as he liked to do during one of his appeals when Warnie was bowling.

Eventually when he leaves, the commentary team will be worse for it.

pup11

International Coach
Gichrist is excellent. I've read some of his articles, and they are eloquent and thoughtful. Along with Lee, probably the Aussie I respect and like the most. He'll be much better than Healy.
Its great to hear this, would be interesting to see whether Gilly is as aggressive in the comm box as he is on the field and yeah please tell me C9 are dumping that idiot Healy, please tell me its happening.

howardj

International Coach
I think he cruelled his chances by repeating 'I don't know who's writing the scripts' a thousand times during his final test last year revealing himself to be too eager to wring the life out of a cliche.
hahaha He did give that line quite a going over, didn't he.

Son Of Coco

hahaha He did give that line quite a going over, didn't he.
:happy: He certainly did! And the worst part was others started borrowing it. It became the 'we're/you've/I've been on quite a journey' of the cricketing set. I love it when reality TV types say they've 'been on a journey'...as someone wrote in the papers the other day, no you haven't you've been on a reality TV show.

Obviously Warney's scripts were written during the writer's strike. :happy:

howardj

International Coach
haha Gilly also borrowed Warney's line of:

"Everyone (past players) said that you'd just know when it's time, and I wasn't sure what they meant, but then..."

JBH001

International Regular
Wonderful news. Adam Gilchrist would make a wonderful addition to the Channel 9 commentary box. He's always come across as being intelligent with his words and has the respect of not only all the players but also the entire cricketing audience.
Yeah, absolutely. Should be awesome to hear him next summer.