• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Get rid of cricket's minnows - Ponting

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Rafique and Mashrafe, yes, certainly. Habibul... very debatable. Shahriar Nafees Ahmed, in ODIs, certainly. Looks a class above anyone else I've ever seen come out of Bangladesh.
i would certainly add aftab ahmad to that list

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
as ive shown before if you get rid of his 317( and i hardly see why any innings on an antigua wicket in recent history deserves to be part of a players record)
Especially when dropped off a sitter on 83 or whatever it was...
I do feel that the 400* deserves to be part of Lara's record, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
Yes that is true, but on the other side they never covered pitches, so the occasional sticky would quickly wrap up some Tests.

By the same token it was sometimes hard to restart games because the pitch was to wet.

But then again a lot of matches in Aust and some in Sth Afr and the WI were played to a finish.

Now I am not sure who is right :wacko:
Stickies and even rain-affected pitches were still very much in the minority... especially outside England.
(When did Australia and South Africa start covering their pitches again...?)
On the occasion you did get one, of course - watch-out - but like I say, while pitches before 1930 were abnormally lively, from 1930 to 1970 there was little difference in pitches which did not have large rainfall on them soon before play started\restarted to those after 1970.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
i would certainly add aftab ahmad to that list
I might do, if he played more than 1 good ODI innings (averages less than 17 against ODI-standard teams... in 18 innings)... or 1 good Test innings.
Certainly he looks better than most Bangladeshi batsmen do, but so for a time did Alok Kapali.

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
Stickies and even rain-affected pitches were still very much in the minority... especially outside England.
(When did Australia and South Africa start covering their pitches again...?)
On the occasion you did get one, of course - watch-out - but like I say, while pitches before 1930 were abnormally lively, from 1930 to 1970 there was little difference in pitches which did not have large rainfall on them soon before play started\restarted to those after 1970.
I can't remember a sticky after the 1950/51 series in Aust. but can look it up if you really would like to know :)

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Especially when dropped off a sitter on 83 or whatever it was...
I do feel that the 400* deserves to be part of Lara's record, though.
i honestly dont, at least not in the averages.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
I might do, if he played more than 1 good ODI innings (averages less than 17 against ODI-standard teams... in 18 innings)... or 1 good Test innings.
Certainly he looks better than most Bangladeshi batsmen do, but so for a time did Alok Kapali.
looking at his ODI record he scored a 67 against India a while ago. won the game against them too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
i honestly dont, at least not in the averages.
Well I'd certainly exclude it from Lara's average against England home-and-away (had a miss-the-point conversation with Liam on the subject pre-SA-tour) for that time, but I'd not exclude it from his 2001\02-2005\06 record.
I see your point, and it's one I've made on occasions - extreme events are generally best ignored in averages.

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
Would be absolutely fascinated.
This from the Penguin Book The History of Australian Cricket by Chris Harte and Bernard Whimpress.

The first Test in Brisbane in late November 1954 saw the pitch fully covered for the first time in Australia with the subsequet risk of a 'Brisbane sticky' fading into the memory. (pp-435)

This is the England tour of 1954/55

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right... it's amazing, everyone knows the date pitch-covering in England Tests started (though less seem to know that it was a gradual process).
Yet I've never heard a thing of when it started in Australia... other than that it was earlier than England.

Hasib

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
All I can say about Ponting's comments is that Cricket is lucky not to be in the hands of Hot Headed ignorent people like him. He is a great player on the field but he has no idea about what he is talking about when it comes to the development of the game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
archie mac said:
The first Test in Brisbane in late November 1954 saw the pitch fully covered for the first time in Australia with the subsequet risk of a 'Brisbane sticky' fading into the memory. (pp-435)

This is the England tour of 1954/55

I don't see how this is a 'debate'. The fact that draws were more common before the 90's is a matter of historical record. In the 50's, 60's and 70's....only 50% of matches played by England ended in a result. Now its over 75%.