• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Get rid of cricket's minnows - Ponting

archie mac

International Coach
silentstriker said:
I don't see how this is a 'debate'. The fact that draws were more common before the 90's is a matter of historical record. In the 50's, 60's and 70's....only 50% of matches played by England ended in a result. Now its over 75%.
Contributing factors, is the debate:

Present day
Ability to make up lost time
Min over rates in a day
LBW law to help restrict pad play
Stricter wide interpretation to stop negative leg side bowling (Mr Bailey)
Superior pitch covers and ground drainage facilities

archie mac

International Coach
Hasib said:
All I can say about Ponting's comments is that Cricket is lucky not to be in the hands of Hot Headed ignorent people like him. He is a great player on the field but he has no idea about what he is talking about when it comes to the development of the game.
It has not changed my opinion one bit. Let them keep their ODI status.

Show me some Test results? (not against the Zims)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
archie mac said:
It has not changed my opinion one bit. Let them keep their ODI status.

Show me some Test results? (not against the Zims)
How will that help them?

"Sorry kids, you know that dream of playing Tests you've had since you were ten? Not happening... but keep playing, and you can go on tour to New Zealand and play provincial 'A' sides in front of ten people and forty-seven sheep"

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really think that it's about time some of you gave Ricky Ponting the respect he undoubtedly deserves. It is so rare that he speaks out, being careful to allow his actions to speak louder than his words, but when he does, those words are carefully chosen to be constructive and totally in keeping with the way he plays the game.

archie mac

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
How will that help them?

"Sorry kids, you know that dream of playing Tests you've had since you were ten? Not happening... but keep playing, and you can go on tour to New Zealand and play provincial 'A' sides in front of ten people and forty-seven sheep"
I would tell them the same thing I have had to except, and that is, 'Sorry Archie you are not good enough for Test cricket, because you will be flogged time and again, and reduce the cricket records to a joke'

The same thing the little boys from Kenya have to except for the present time.

archie mac

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Will only regress Bangladeshi cricket development. Which is the only basis for this decision.
True, but it may be a good thing in the long run. How good can it be for a country and their supporters to be flogged every time they front up?

I would prefer for them to start being a force in ODI cricket and then be given a series against say the bottom two rank Test teams on the ICC Test rankings. A couple of good results and then lets review the situation.

What are the benifits to being crushed game after game?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I tried to take two of my sheep to the cricket once, and they told me I could only get them in if I paid adult prices for them, or if they got into the team. Cleverly, I shaved a couple of the down a bit and they have both down rather well. Maaaaaarshall.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
I would prefer for them to start being a force in ODI cricket and then be given a series against say the bottom two rank Test teams on the ICC Test rankings. A couple of good results and then lets review the situation.

What are the benifits to being crushed game after game?
Yes, but that is down to the ICC having their idealistic Future Tours Programme. They think that the only way they rank the teams is to have them all play eachother on a regular basis. Personally, I think Bangladesh would have benefitted from playing the lesser test countries in Bangladesh.

Saying that, NZ gave them a couple of frightful hidings a year ago. And they were not exactly on top of their game.

archie mac

International Coach
sirjeremy11 said:
Yes, but that is down to the ICC having their idealistic Future Tours Programme. They think that the only way they rank the teams is to have them all play eachother on a regular basis. Personally, I think Bangladesh would have benefitted from playing the lesser test countries in Bangladesh.

Saying that, NZ gave them a couple of frightful hidings a year ago. And they were not exactly on top of their game.
That is the problem. When WA came into the Sheffield Shield they came in on a restricted basis, the same with Tasi.

I think the ICC are in danger of diluting there product, (Test cricket) just like they have done with ODI. What is wrong with the Bangas playing a lower level of cricket, against A sides? I don't think they would be Aust A in a series at the moment but would be a much better learning curve for them.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
That is the problem. When WA came into the Sheffield Shield they came in on a restricted basis, the same with Tasi.

I think the ICC are in danger of diluting there product, (Test cricket) just like they have done with ODI. What is wrong with the Bangas playing a lower level of cricket, against A sides? I don't think they would be Aust A in a series at the moment but would be a much better learning curve for them.
Good point. I think they should be invited to play the A tournament in Aus this year with NZ A, Pak A, Ind A and Aus A. That will give a much better indication of how they are going, as I think a couple of years ago, they still would have lost to those teams.

archie mac

International Coach
sirjeremy11 said:
Good point. I think they should be invited to play the A tournament in Aus this year with NZ A, Pak A, Ind A and Aus A. That will give a much better indication of how they are going, as I think a couple of years ago, they still would have lost to those teams.
It won't happen, imagine if they came last :-O

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
It won't happen, imagine if they came last :-O
They probably would! It would still be a closer contest and they would certainly compete better against them than the full teams.

But you're right. It won't happen.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
archie mac said:

It would have been. And it's what should happen with Kenya. However, it didn't, and now we must stick with it for reasons you agreed with above. It's not ideal, but it's reality.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't mind Bangla playing the A sides,but only if they still get to play the big teams once in a while.

I think anyone calling for Bangladesh to be cut completley from test cricket should take a step back and see how important the game is to the people in their country. They are cricket mad over there and they deserve every succes and oppurtunity they get.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
I wouldn't mind Bangla playing the A sides,but only if they still get to play the big teams once in a while.

I think anyone calling for Bangladesh to be cut completley from test cricket should take a step back and see how important the game is to the people in their country. They are cricket mad over there and they deserve every succes and oppurtunity they get.
That's how important it is...

archie mac

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
It would have been. And it's what should happen with Kenya. However, it didn't, and now we must stick with it for reasons you agreed with above. It's not ideal, but it's reality.

Yes but I still think they could restrict their itinerary, and not have them playing Aust, England, ****, India, Sth Afr as much/at all.

This from former CEO of the ACB written in 2003, what has changed?

'As harsh as it may seem, I would ask Zimbabwe and Bangladesh if they seriously want to persist with Test match status. I would ask if they would prefer to concentrate on one-day international crciket and help strengthen their local structure. How long must such countries wander in the Test wilderness, being uncompetitive and losing face with their fans?'

open365

International Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
'As harsh as it may seem, I would ask Zimbabwe and Bangladesh if they seriously want to persist with Test match status. I would ask if they would prefer to concentrate on one-day international crciket and help strengthen their local structure. How long must such countries wander in the Test wilderness, being uncompetitive and losing face with their fans?'
What do you reckon they're fans would want more?To see them play ODI cricket,or test match cricket?

They may lose a lot,but the Bangladeshi fans still belive in they're side,and i think it's too importnat for them to cancel Bangladesh's test status.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
open365 said:
What do you reckon they're fans would want more?To see them play ODI cricket,or test match cricket?

They may lose a lot,but the Bangladeshi fans still belive in they're side,and i think it's too importnat for them to cancel Bangladesh's test status.
Yeah I guess so. They just keep holding out for hope as their expectations are not too high at all, then celebrate wildly when the good stuff happens.

archie mac

International Coach
open365 said:

I would not want to speak for their fans, do we have anyone from Bangladesh on this forum?