• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Genuine legends who still play...

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Ok which out of all the present players do you think will be held in the same regard in 10 years as Don Bradman, Viv Richards, SObers etc as a genuine legend of the game?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Allan Donald still plays for Free State and Lashings, so I will count him..

With Hansies demise, I think in 10 years time, AAD will be most fondly remembered as the man who led SA back into the cricketing world with such dignity..

Sachin Tendulkar for Obvious Reasons
Brian Lara
Ricky Ponting
Shane Warne

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Hit4Six said:
Ok which out of all the present players do you think will be held in the same regard in 10 years as Don Bradman, Viv Richards, SObers etc as a genuine legend of the game?
I think it will be Sachin, Lara, Warne, Murali

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sorry to hit on the Murali theme, but reguardless of whether you accept his achievements, he will always be reguarded by many as a tainted legend? Not someone with the godly air of Sobers or Bradman...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Sorry to hit on the Murali theme, but reguardless of whether you accept his achievements, he will always be reguarded by many as a tainted legend? Not someone with the godly air of Sobers or Bradman...
Yes I agree with you that Murali will be always surrounded with controversy, but he will be remembered for a long time as a legend for sure.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Warnie's mum's chemist's best customer is a legend already, but the names mentioned at the start of the thread (Sobers, Don, Viv) were ambassadors. There is no way that Shane, despite his undoubted brilliance, will ever be classified as an ambassador of the sport - he carries just too much baggage.

For the same reason, Murali can be safely discounted too. Put me down in the Allan Donald camp with Rich - he seems to have all the makings of making that step from being a focal point on the pitch to being one off it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
I hope you are joking! He isnt even liked by the people in his home town very much...
I disagree.

First international cricketer to be offered gainful employment at a wind farm, AND to be offered as a trophy in a knockout football competition?

He's an absolute earo - twice over.

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
Put me down in the Allan Donald camp with Rich - he seems to have all the makings of making that step from being a focal point on the pitch to being one off it.
My thoughts exactly.. Absolute hero.. I wonder what his status would be if he had a more outgoing charisma about him, or came from more fashionable parts...

Not that any of that matters, the persona behind those inspirational fast bowling spells he used to produce are the only reason I am talking about cricket here now...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
I hope you are joking! He isnt even liked by the people in his home town very much...
There is a Christchurch in England, but it's not his hometown...

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Muralitharan
Rahul Dravid (if he continues playing the way he is presently)

Share Warne will always be tainted because he's a drug cheat.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ReallyCrazy said:
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Muralitharan
Rahul Dravid (if he continues playing the way he is presently)

Share Warne will always be tainted because he's a drug cheat.

As will Tendulkar & Dravid because they are ball tamperers.

masterblaster

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
As will Tendulkar & Dravid because they are ball tamperers.
Don't go there mate, :dry:

This topic will explode and deviate so fast, people won't know what hit them.
You will be clearly outnumbered by us Indian supporters coming to the defence of Sachin Tendulkar (who was exonorated of serious ball tampering charges but the charges of 'cleaning' the seam without the umpires permission were still laid), and Rahul Dravid (who honestly said it was an accident, and for a man of Rahul Dravid's honesty and integrity, I believe him).

There are not many players who have the amount of honesty and integrity that Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar have, and would you honestly think with all these camera's they would blatently cheat and dent their reputation?

Call me naive, call me stupid, call me whatever, but I do believe that it was an honest mistake by both of them. They both have too much integrity and too much class for that.

As for the drug cheat remark on Shane Warne, that was wrong too by Reallycrazy.

Anyways, back onto topic: Currently playing legends,

Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Shane Warne, Muralitharan, Rahul Dravid, Chris Cairns (very underrated, by a NZ legend nontheless).

So sad that Wasim Akram, Steve Waugh and Allan Donald don't play anymore.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
masterblaster said:
Don't go there mate, :dry:

This topic will explode and deviate so fast, people won't know what hit them.
You will be clearly outnumbered by us Indian supporters coming to the defence of Sachin Tendulkar (who was exonorated of serious ball tampering charges but the charges of 'cleaning' the seam without the umpires permission were still laid), and Rahul Dravid (who honestly said it was an accident, and for a man of Rahul Dravid's honesty and integrity, I believe him).

There are not many players who have the amount of honesty and integrity that Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar have, and would you honestly think with all these camera's they would blatently cheat and dent their reputation?

Call me naive, call me stupid, call me whatever, but I do believe that it was an honest mistake by both of them. They both have too much integrity and too much class for that.

As for the drug cheat remark on Shane Warne, that was wrong too by Reallycrazy.

Anyways, back onto topic: Currently playing legends,

Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Shane Warne, Muralitharan, Rahul Dravid, Chris Cairns (very underrated, by a NZ legend nontheless).

So sad that Wasim Akram, Steve Waugh and Allan Donald don't play anymore.
Hey, I agree with you MB. I never said I believed they did it, nor did I say they should be accused of it. I merely replied to Really Crazy's post and said they will be tainted with it, which is true, it is on their record, and that is a cold fact which cannot be debated, whether it was deliberate or not, they will be tainted with it.

I believe Shane Warne was a drug cheat, but if you are going to put Tendulkar & Dravid on your list and then accuse someone of something, make sure they are squeaky clean before you do so.