• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Genuine legends who still play...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
But that is because they play so many matches these days compared to when O'Reilly and Laker were at their peak. Whether ''that's how it should be'' is debatable because O'Reilly and Laker would certainly be up there had they played that many matches.
IMO Laker would not be considered anywhere near as good as he is had he played in the present age.
In fact, I reckon he'd be considered about as good as Ashley Giles.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
No, there's one other who rides this hobby-horse. No names this time.
I would have thought "me", but I'm one of those who has the sense to accept that there's no significant difference in their skill.
I truly pity those who have had to see the Murali-v-Warne threads throughout the last three years - I've got thoroughly sick of it in just one.
Oh, and he-who-shall-remain nameless wouldn't be Kenny, BAC?

telsor said:
Wasn't he involved in that match in SA that was cancelled because the Indian team wouldn't accept the referees decision?

So ?? Just because he was involve in the match doesn't means he bccomes a cheat??Besides, even the whole SA team withdrew from that match, i guess going by ur logic all 22 members were cheats.
Remember, The M refree said he wanted to penalized Sachi for Cleaning the ball without asking for umpires permission.It wasn't a case of ball tampering.

Wasn't the Doosra tested and found to be illegal?
Sure it was, and as such Murali is barred from bowling that particular delivery.
Now had Murali had been still bowling that very delivery then you could have called him a cheat.

As for Warnes drug conviction...remember, that in most countries he wouldn't have been tested, let alone convicted...there were no ICC rules at the time regarding drugs. He broke an ACB rule, which only existed because the cricket academy gets some governemnt funding, so the whole sport gets treated on the same level as an olympic sport in Aus as far as drugs testing/rules are concerned
LOL it doesn't matter whether the rules EXISTS in other country or not, he broke the law and that is the bottom line. Andthere were very clear ICC laws regardi ng banned drugs, and what Warne took was one of them.

Last edited:
Tom Halsey said:
He didn't match fix. If he had he'd be baned by now. Salim Malik was the match fixer, and Shane Warne and Tim May helped catch him.

I don't reckon those drugs were on purpose.
He had ties with bookies, got 2000 $ for providing info about natute of Subcontinental pitch (flat as always) and whether forecast.

He was one that got away along with numerous others.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Sanz said:
I blame ReallyCrazy's craziness for derailing this thread. Reallycrazy you should be ashamed of your comments. Whatever Warnie is but there is no doubt that he is one of the greatest Spinners ever and a legend.

Now take that Pic off of your Avtaar and get the Aishwarya back there, You dont deserve to have 'dada' as your Avtaar.
LOL what in the blue hell are you talking about? The only reason I stated that Warne would be remembered as a drug cheat on the first page was because Langvelt had said that Murali would be remembered more for "chucking" than being such a good bowler. It was a retaliation of sorts. :-O

As for dada, I'm his #1 fan!! I gotta have the avatar.

Lastly, get off the moral high horse. :horse:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
ReallyCrazy said:
pls oh pls disclose the name of this great individual.
It's not you, R-C - not even close. The person concerned hasn't been around for some time - and apart from this one topic, I have immense respect for the guy's opinions.

That's not to say I haven't respect for yours.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
We've done this one debate to death time and time again.

Some people cannot accept that it could be construed that Warne is superior to Muralitharan. Others can't credit that fact that it can be argued that Muralitharan is superior to Warne. With the result that people post the same thing time and time and time again and no-one gets anywhere, and a lot of people get wound up.
Im wondering if they are both equally brilliant?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Can we get back on topic please?

Tendulkar
Lara
Warne
Murali
Ponting
Hayden (he did break the world record after all, even though it was v Zim, don't want to cause a debate about that as well!)
Flintoff (at some point I believe he will play an innings that will go down in history like Botham's in 1981, and he also has the potential to become one of the world's greatest ever all-rounders in my opinion)
Dravid
Jayasuriya (one of the greatest one day players ever in my opinion)
Giles (never has a player been more deserving of success - I will always remember him for his character rather than his cricket)
Graeme Smith (I believe this guy is the new Steve Waugh - he has had his critics but I stick by him)
Pollock

Pradeep

Cricket Spectator
Langeveldt said:
Nope, neither of them....
Why not? The trio aint good enuf? :p

Seriously, after a few decades, when someone talks of cricket greats, some of the names mentioned here would probably come into picture only when doing a detailed analysis, and a few names would stand out of which these would most probably be the first two (after those legends, obviously).

tooextracool

International Coach
Pradeep said:
Why not? The trio aint good enuf? :p

Seriously, after a few decades, when someone talks of cricket greats, some of the names mentioned here would probably come into picture only when doing a detailed analysis, and a few names would stand out of which these would most probably be the first two (after those legends, obviously).
personally i wouldnt be surprised it people would go overboard and rate tendulkar and lara in the same class as the top 3, because of their popularity in the respective countries. i've given my views on why they shouldnt before. i also wouldnt be surprised if someone like dravid ends up averaging more than both of them, is more consistent and reliable under pressure and yet wont get talked about as much as the other 2.