• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Genuine legends who still play...

Waughney

International Debutant
Brian Lara: Amazing batsman and sheer amount of runs.
Sachin Tendulkar: Same reason.
Shane Warne: Already regarded as a legend of the game. Amount of wickets, the way he revived leg spinning, the glamour that he brought to the game.
Muralitharan: Sheer amount of wickets.
Allan Donald: To a lesser extent than the above. Fantastic bowler.
Adam Gilchrist: Just for the amazing player that he is.

(if this thread had been made a few months ago, then of course Steve Waugh would be included)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That would suggest Steve will go down as an all-time legend for the rest of time...

I wouldn't necessarily say so.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, this post derailed very quickly. You can't go into more than 5 threads without finding a Murali/Warne battle these days.

Anyway, here are the definites IMO:
Tendulkar
Lara
Warne
Murali
McGrath

Others who could possibly make legendary status are Dravid, Flintoff, Kallis and Ponting

Majin

International Debutant
I would like to say Dravid, because I'm a biasd fanboy, but I doubt it. For real legendary status it'd have to be Warney, for reasons previously stated, and the fact that he's notorious, People have things to remember him by other than his cricket, him and Murali do cause debate, as we've seen, and whenever his name is mentioned 5 different things are bound to pop up at the same time. So yeah, I'd say Warney. Sachin has lost it over the last few years, so has Lara, but his world records will be remembered for quite a while yet.

Waughney

International Debutant
Waughney said:
Brian Lara: Amazing batsman and sheer amount of runs.
Sachin Tendulkar: Same reason.
Shane Warne: Already regarded as a legend of the game. Amount of wickets, the way he revived leg spinning, the glamour that he brought to the game.
Muralitharan: Sheer amount of wickets.
Allan Donald: To a lesser extent than the above. Fantastic bowler.
Adam Gilchrist: Just for the amazing player that he is.

(if this thread had been made a few months ago, then of course Steve Waugh would be included)
How could I forget Glenn McGrath!!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
That would suggest Steve will go down as an all-time legend for the rest of time...

I wouldn't necessarily say so.
I would.
Not only a great player but a great ambassador. And great beyond the boundary too - his Leaper charity is one of the great examples of sporting generosity.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Leaper Charity? I don't think he's by any stretch of the imagination the only person to do a lot of work for charity, it's just a heck of a lot of them don't publicise the fact.

Ambassador for the game? (!)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, I doubt there is anyone who seriously follows cricket who doesn't know what a leader of the World game he has been over the last 4 years.
And I'd like to see how many sportsmen have done as much charity work.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Yes, I doubt there is anyone who seriously follows cricket who doesn't know what a leader of the World game he has been over the last 4 years.
And I'd like to see how many sportsmen have done as much charity work.
Ian Healy, Mick Kasprowicz, Stuart Law, Carl Rackerman & Craig McDermott I know all do just as much charity work as Steve Waugh. Just because they don't have as much exposure as Tugga does not mean they do not do any work behind the scenes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I just can't believe there is no reason why Stephen Waugh gets more publicity than these many others.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After much thought, I'd say that Rahul Dravid is very close to being the best player in the world. As a bastman he is extremely under-rated IMO.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
I just can't believe there is no reason why Stephen Waugh gets more publicity than these many others.
Because Steve Waugh is doing it on an international level, if you are doing something in India then you are pretty much guaranteed massive media publicity. I know for a fact that Heals has a hand in Steve Waugh's charity work, as well as the Asthma foundation and Pat Rafter's 'Cherish The Children Foundation' or at least last time I heard. Stuart Law has done work with the Cerebal Pausy (sp?) League and Kaspa has a 'Crew' who do a lot of volunteer work Kaspa's Crew.

I know McGrath has a lot to do with Cancer as his wife has had some troubles there and Gilly & Marto are also leaders in charity work in Perth.