• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gayle has got to go

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Be interesting to see what Mr Baptiste says after today's knock from the skipper.
Probably something about his dismissal right after the hundred. Not the celebration of how much that hundred meant to him, his team, and the region on the whole.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Im not really a fan of Gayle as captain but there isn't a lot of choice at the moment. Ramdin will make a great captain into the future - even now he seems much more on the ball than Gayle in the field, but i think his batting needs to lift before any extra pressure is placed on him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Im not really a fan of Gayle as captain but there isn't a lot of choice at the moment. Ramdin will make a great captain into the future - even now he seems much more on the ball than Gayle in the field, but i think his batting needs to lift before any extra pressure is placed on him.
Positive signs for Ramdin being this is his easily best year in terms of batting.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
There's been quite a few times in the last 7-8 years where I've thought that TBH. Reality often turns-out rather different.
At which point in the last 7-8 years?. The had a better top 7 in the circa 2001-2003 Gayle/Hinds/Sarwan/Lara/Hooper/Chanderpaul/Jacobs - but the bowling was poor. Currently is clearly the best "potential" all-round West Indies team i've seen since the late 90s easily.

bryce

International Regular
Reon King & Jermaine Lawson were both considered high quality bowlers when they came onto the scene. Pedro Collins was bowling very good at one stage, Dillon was good at times, Collymore was steady and Best always looked decent. Cuffy & Drakes were probably too far past it to make much of a significant impact. That's a bit better than poor imo anyway but they mostly all struggled with injuries too.
Btw what happened to Dwight Washington?

shivfan

Banned
What has happened to Lawson in the last few years?
Doesn't seem to have recovered from having to remodel his action....

He had a stint in county cricket (was it Leics?), but did badly. Played a bit for Jamaica in 2008, and didn't impress, and was dropped. He didn't even make the Jamaica side in 2009....

Craig

World Traveller
IIRC during the Brisbane Test, Holding ripped into the West Indian team, by saying that Gayle should not be captain and that none of the tean has any ambition to step up and want to be captain, and instead the WI team just look at Gayle for leadership. And Holding and Gayle come from the same Island, so there can not be any inter-Island bias/rubbish there.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Well the Windies looked like piss crap during that Test didn't they, but showed remarkable improvement in the following tests

shivfan

Banned
Reon King & Jermaine Lawson were both considered high quality bowlers when they came onto the scene. Pedro Collins was bowling very good at one stage, Dillon was good at times, Collymore was steady and Best always looked decent. Cuffy & Drakes were probably too far past it to make much of a significant impact. That's a bit better than poor imo anyway but they mostly all struggled with injuries too.
Btw what happened to Dwight Washington?
Personally, I think the Jamaican selectors treated Washington shabbily....

I think Washington was a better bowler than Richardson, and had a lot more potential in terms of pace. However, when there is a choice between players from Kingston vs Montego Bay, the selectors tend to be biased towards the capital, and I'm saying that as someone who grew up in Kingston.

Washington migrated to the US at some stage, having given up on cricket, and I think he came back sometime later. But I think he's turned his back on cricket, sadly....

West Indies didnt put up much fight against Australia and it was only Pontings generous declaration in Adelaide that made it appear they were with a chance even though Australia would have wrapped up the game easily had htere been more time. In Perth once again it was a generous declaration that gave the WI a flicker of hope but never in any game did they have Australia worried. Gayle didnt do anything as captain and didnt seem to know how to bowl Australia out twice, he might look real cooool but WI cricket wont flourish under his captaincy.

Howsie

International Captain
West Indies didnt put up much fight against Australia and it was only Pontings generous declaration in Adelaide that made it appear they were with a chance even though Australia would have wrapped up the game easily had htere been more time. In Perth once again it was a generous declaration that gave the WI a flicker of hope but never in any game did they have Australia worried. Gayle didnt do anything as captain and didnt seem to know how to bowl Australia out twice, he might look real cooool but WI cricket wont flourish under his captaincy.
:laugh:

Yea 3/190 chasing 350 and they were never in the game, okay.

Howsie

International Captain
Australia had Hauritz, Bollinger and McKay left, how many more runs were they going to score? 520/7 is hardly a generous declaration.

Australia had Hauritz, Bollinger and McKay left, how many more runs were they going to score? 520/7 is hardly a generous declaration.
What did Hauritz score today, 75 runs wasnt it. But it was a time issue and they could have ruled out a WI win completely if they had of batted on. It was only the declaration that gave the WI any hope of anything.