• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future of fast bowling in India

adharcric

International Coach
sessabmud said:
Um, yes, I do watch cricket. Many of his wickets have been against tailenders.

if you can't fight the stats, then you resort to "potential" and "talent".

And 6 runs per over tells the whole story. Let me guess, you're from his state.
No I'm not from anywhere close to his state. Sreesanth had around 5 dropped chances off his bowling in the ODIs against Pakistan, just ask anyone and you'll get your answer. He's been wayward at times, you're right about that. A lot of that damage happened when he bowled as a debutant against Jayasuriya and co. He does need work, but he is very talented.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
sessabmud said:
And 6 runs per over tells the whole story. Let me guess, you're from his state.
Looking at the players adharcric supports :-

Raina - (UP) - So adharcric must be from UP ?
Dhoni - (Jharkhand) - Well he must be from Jharkhand ?
Munaf - (Gujrat) - Wow that's a great combination, now he is from Gujrat ?
Nabi -(Rajasthan) - That's even better he must be a Rajasthani ?
Santh - (Kerala) - Wow, now we have got the South covered as well, Simbly superb ;)

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
Anybody heard of the scorpio speedster discovery in india? The winner is supposedly given a cash reward of 10 lakh rupees and 6 months training at the MRF pace foundation.
Also heard that speed is just one of the criteria used in deciding the winner.
this year's winner was Sunny Pal Singh Dhillon, who clocked 138Ks as fastest.
Can any one enlighten more???

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
quick4mindia said:
Anybody heard of the scorpio speedster discovery in india? The winner is supposedly given a cash reward of 10 lakh rupees and 6 months training at the MRF pace foundation.
Also heard that speed is just one of the criteria used in deciding the winner.
this year's winner was Sunny Pal Singh Dhillon, who clocked 138Ks as fastest.
Whats that in dollars? and do you have to be Indian?

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Looking at the players adharcric supports :-

Raina - (UP) - So adharcric must be from UP ?
Dhoni - (Jharkhand) - Well he must be from Jharkhand ?
Munaf - (Gujrat) - Wow that's a great combination, now he is from Gujrat ?
Nabi -(Rajasthan) - That's even better he must be a Rajasthani ?
Santh - (Kerala) - Wow, now we have got the South covered as well, Simbly superb ;)
Thank you Sanz. You just proved that I'm a true all-round Indian. ;)
Btw, Nabi is from J&K as someone mentioned. I've got it all covered. Perhaps I would be the solution to the regional bias problem in India.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
Indian fast bowlers

Hello. As an England fan going back 9 or so years ago i can totally sympathise with your hunger for pace as we were in exactly the same position aswell. Hardly any bowlers in the country could trudge over the 80 mph mark and our best "experienced" bowlers were struggling to get into the top 40 world rankings, it was that bad! We were all clutching at straws to find a young bowler who had an ounce of pace. Many were crying out for Harmison to be thrown into the test squad at 16. and who says thats not the right way to go about it? We introduced our pace bowlers at the same age as the current Indian ones and they were as wayward and expensive as ever. Thats how they learned and now look at them... beating the best team in the world comprehensively (perfomance wise and dominating wise) with an infamous roaring pace attack which made the best team in the world defecate their boxers, cough "panty hoes".

And now the way the ODIs are set up what better way to start them off? especially with as much quality India have to back them up. The only problem i have is chucking teenagers in as it can sometimes prove to their detrement.

but no i think your right to over rate any pace you can find. In my veiw (from experience) its the best way to go about it. Unless your prepared to put up with pretty much mediocraty for the next couple of decades. Even with Pathan (who i rate for his bowling alone) and the other seamers in India they seemed to be a ride in the park for the England openers when they first arrived but then the useless batsmen (especially at the moment, my local youth team could bowl them all out for under 100 right now) lowered their standards (mentality pace wise). But i reckon that teams like Australia will consistently hold the standards and be praying for the day when they're allowed to declare.

so...

I half rate pathan though and feel you hold the right mentality to build a long term venomous pace attack.

good luck and any over ratement is no more than its worth

and i deeply admire your countries dire passion for cricket and wish you all the best in beating teams around the world (except England!)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Golaxi said:
Many were crying out for Harmison to be thrown into the test squad at 16.
I defy you to produce a case of anyone seriously calling for any player to be in the Test squad aged 16.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
Of course they can. Its just that most fans have no idea how quick either is.

85 to 90 is a big difference and any quality player can tell the difference between 2 balls 8kph different.

By your logic NOONE can tell the difference between 142 kph and 150 kph and that is obviously false.

Please, for my sanity, stop using absolutes and sweeping statements when expressing your beleifs
You seriously think that?
I'd suggest you discuss the matter with Corey.
Maybe they might be able to tell a slight difference but it won't make any difficulties.
I've faced 86mph balls (fastest our bowling-machine will deliver) and I could barely get my bat halfway down - facing 76 it wasn't much different.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
adharcric said:
On VR Singh: He's definitely pacy, because the selectors and batsmen across the nation consider him to be pacier than Munaf Patel.
And yet on the (admittedly only 2) occasions VRV has been timed he's nowhere close to Munaf.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
adharcric said:
Depends on the accuracy. Frankly, I haven't seen enough of Franklin but there is no way 140 can be called slow. It's not exactly "express" by international standards but it's definitely fast enough to trouble batsman by sheer pace. Munaf and Sreesanth didn't just sling cannons all over the place at 140, they took wickets with those deliveries. That's why it matters.
You'd have to be 160kph AT LEAST to trouble batsmen just with pace.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Golaxi said:
Hello. As an England fan going back 9 or so years ago i can totally sympathise with your hunger for pace as we were in exactly the same position aswell. Hardly any bowlers in the country could trudge over the 80 mph mark and our best "experienced" bowlers were struggling to get into the top 40 world rankings, it was that bad! We were all clutching at straws to find a young bowler who had an ounce of pace. Many were crying out for Harmison to be thrown into the test squad at 16.
Harmison was 17 before he made his Durham debut.
Very few had even heard of him before 2000 (when he was 21) when he was first picked in a Test squad.

adharcric

International Coach
Richard said:
You seriously think that?
I'd suggest you discuss the matter with Corey.
Maybe they might be able to tell a slight difference but it won't make any difficulties.
I've faced 86mph balls (fastest our bowling-machine will deliver) and I could barely get my bat halfway down - facing 76 it wasn't much different.
That's because you're not an international cricketer. For you, 50 mph vs 40 mph will make a difference. For guys who are used to higher speeds, 80 mph vs 70 mph will make a difference.

adharcric

International Coach
Richard said:
And yet on the (admittedly only 2) occasions VRV has been timed he's nowhere close to Munaf.
How would you happen to know anything about him besides what you've seen in the last 2 matches? He was rated as pacier than Munaf all across the nation and yes they do get clocked in matches that aren't international ODIs. I'm pretty sure he's not at his quickest right now.