• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

From the Pavilion

Bobisback

International Regular
my affiliate has made it to the 4th round of the cup, not from skill but running into the right teams. Facing a big team next round so the dream will be over, but can always just set the pitch to sticky and dream

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lost my Youth match by 1 run today after the last three balls went . . W. Outrated the bloke by about 8k, which isn't much, but I thought we had a real chance when his best bowler bowled out and only got 1 wicket. Then we lost wickets to the other blokes, with bowling being his weaker suit. A win would have had us out in front by a win, and made use of the fact we have a strong team this week and next before 2 of our top order leave, followed by another top order bat and our all-rounder, who won't be replaced in the foreseeable future, the week after that.

Nothing else to say except "**** me dead".

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
2 round to go in the CW Trophy and there's an outside chance Heef could equal Brew Boys for top spot so long as Brew Boys lose their next two matches...

Number 11

State 12th Man
CW Trophy is done, thanks for playing everyone. Happy to reinvest into a youth cup or some other limited format cup if there's interest in another go round.

In other news, got absolutely robbed in the cup a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for that elusive deep run.

HeathDavisSpeed

Happy to participate in another tournament of some sort. That was decent, but there wasn’t much tension left towards the end!

Son Of Coco

CW Trophy is done, thanks for playing everyone. Happy to reinvest into a youth cup or some other limited format cup if there's interest in another go round.

In other news, got absolutely robbed in the cup a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for that elusive deep run.
I'd be keen for a Youth Cup, whether that be OD or Twenty20. I might have a better chance of winning some games!

Congrats to the winner of the CW Trophy too.

Son Of Coco

Had another one of those days yesterday in my Youth match:

- Outrated the other team by 12k (higher across all areas except fielding).
- All my players were 'expert' at minimum in their main skill, with the lowest technique being 'accomplished'
- Playing at home on a crumbling deck with 'outstanding/expert' and 'expert/accomplished' spinners.
- Lost the toss but batted first, which we were going to do anyway. Then struggled against their spinners, one of whom was not that highly-rated. Scraped together 175ish.
- Got them to 45/3, then couldn't buy a wicket until they were well over a hundred.
- my spinners took 1/77 off 15 overs at home against a batting line-up with 2 good bats and a few average ones. Admittedly, one of those good bats scored more than half their runs and got out when they were nearly at our target.

We now share the lead at the top of the table instead of being a game clear. A very frustrating result, although I guess, to be fair, this guy seems to beat me whether he is 10k higher than me in ratings or 20k lower. Not sure why.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I just restarted my team, forgot how fun this game could be. Quite easy to start these days, tons of good players available for < 10K

Son Of Coco

Got myself a game clear at the top again and am playing the team coming 2nd at home this week. We have prepared a dry pitch because my spinners are better than their spinners, especially with the untimely departure of one of their better turners due to them turning 21. If we win, we win.

I've got a draft post saved full of profanity if we lose.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Just out of interest, and I may have asked this here before, about how many decent youth pulls are people getting each season? I know 'decent' varies depending on the division your team is in, but if we say from 24-25k upwards, how have we all gone in the past few seasons? In the last 5 seasons, I have had:

Season 56 - 1
55 - 1
54 - 3
53 - 0
52 - 3

I have been largely pulling recruits from the nations towards the bottom of the Youth OD international rankings, as suggested to improve my chances of getting a good youth recruit, yet it's very slim pickings. I know it's largely down to chance, but when you look through teams that have 6-7 recruits in their team all at a good level for Youth 1.1, you wonder why you are paying more for your academy than you are getting back in youth pulls. Admittedly, we have gone alright through this period, so we probably shouldn't be complaining too much. Having 2-3 good youth pulls a season would make balancing the budget a lot easier though!

NZTailender

I had one I kept last year and two semi decent that I sold because I needed the cash. I had a real glut a few seasons ago

NZTailender

I think various CWers are still chugging along, just don't discuss it much.

My teams in a state of transition. We're in Div 3 all formats with a lot of players aged 21-24 with a few over 26 who will be phased out soon.

Cautiously optimistic that the team I'll have in about 3-4 seasons will be the strongest I've ever fielded

Son Of Coco

Both my main youth team (Aus 1.1) and my affiliate team (Scottish 3.1) have won 6 on the trot to start the season. Both are 1 game in front at the top at the moment. However, they are also both losing 3 players between now and the end of the season, which might make things a bit difficult.

White Ball

State 12th Man
What exactly did you do?
I bought some weak players from people in my league for huge some of money and over inflated them, before making the purchase I told them when we played I expected them to play a weakened team. It worked and people in my league had massively overinflated players in their team and I got to win!