• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

From the Pavilion

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Today's not so convincing win over @Son Of Coco shows you should always zoom in if you're setting bowling orders on your phone so you don't give a batsmen 3 overs at the death

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A good start to the new season with 4 wins this week. The OD team will struggle as I swap out all my players over $10k in wages with youth who are turning 21, and I have to shuffle some younger players into the T20 sides for both seniors and youth too.

A good start for us in youth, but it was a bit shaky. We are the highest rating team by a bit at the start of the season, but we will lose 5 of the top 7 in the first 7 weeks of the season, so we have some recruiting to do. Biggest loss will be the all-rounder. We are unlikely to be able to afford a replacement.

Anyway, in this week's youth OD we were almost burgled by a 16 year old bowler yet again, slumping to 95/5 before recovering to chase down 180-odd. Looking at their bowling line up on paper, we should have cruised to a win, but as with the end of last season, a bloke with **** all experience and fairly low skills rumbled us yet again. He did go for a few at the end though, which is what got us home ultimately.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I finished 7th in 1.1 last year so started selling off my older players as I wouldn’t need them so much in div 2. Then I noticed today I was still in 1.1 - very annoying as now I’m going to get hammered all season.

NZTailender

How do y'all train, or what do you aim for with, bowlers at number 7 or 8 in the batting order? I've seen some things on the FTP forum saying capable bat as a primary then others say anything between ordinary and capable batting as overall rating.

I'm not far of retiring a project spinner who was pulled as I think average bowl average bat with finishing skill. Trained on all-rounder for their career and average 25 with the bat and high 40s with the ball, though they often turn in 1-40 type performances. Wouldn't do it again though. In hindsight, leaving them at accomplished/expert bat at best and trained spin primary would've been the way to go, though my academy wasn't that good when they first made the team either.

I have a few bowlers coming through from yoofs with ordinary bat primary and wondering if I should chuck them on bat training after they do their usual mid 20s strength training.

Starris

U19 12th Man
The best I've done was a couple of ARs that we as good as my normal batsmen. Made it to Div 1 SOD from pretty much all 16yos but then struggled as lost the core of my side every Nat game... sold up and went back to focusing on youth.

From seniors trained them to exceptional fielding and left them on AR except for a stint around 25 or 26 for strength. Think I may have topped up the wristie to WC fielding before I sold him.

NZTailender

I thought I might be up for a challenge in the cup because I was going up against the Aussie Nat manager and just assumed he'd have a good side.

I mean he probably does but he threw the match and we bowled them out for 15, chasing it down within 2 overs.

NZTailender

Screenshot 2023-10-09 135447.png

Just pulled this guy - how much do you think he'd go for - or rather, minimum listing price?

NZTailender

I'm up against the world #33 who rates about 40-50k above us, so I may just tank it to preserve fitness levels