• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Foreign Players to take part in Ranji/Duleep trophy ?

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gajanayake said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/other_international/india/5252350.stm

I think this would be a good move to get more interest in the domestic game - provided they can lure the right kind of players.
Getting the likes of Lara or Hayden would prove very enticing indeed.

One possibility is the for English players warming up for the Ashes (e.g Ashley Giles) to play iin the Duleep trophy. The Duleep trophy this year is likely to feature several Indian test players ahead of the tour to South Africa so the competition will be quite high.

stumpski

International Captain
Nice idea, but most of the English players will have just come out of a 5 month domestic season, and would want to rest up before the Ashes. You'd have a better chance with some of the senior players not selected for the Champions trophy or Australia - Hick, Ramprakash, Crawley - and probably Gough.

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
stumpski said:
Nice idea, but most of the English players will have just come out of a 5 month domestic season, and would want to rest up before the Ashes. You'd have a better chance with some of the senior players not selected for the Champions trophy or Australia - Hick, Ramprakash, Crawley - and probably Gough.
I seriously doubt India would accept blokes like those. I think the BCCI are looking for guys who are quality at international level not has-beens or rejects from another domestic league - guys who would drive up interest in domestic games. The likes of Ramprakash or Crawley turning out for West Zone (if they made the squad) wouldn't achieve that imo - but someone like Hayden or Lara or McGill most definitely would.

I'm not sure how workable the idea is but that definitely seems to be the BCCI thinking.

It doesn't make much sense for India to accept players who are simply honest triers at county level - two years ago an England A team composed of those kinds of players came to INdia and with the exception of Simon Jones and Pietersen, the rest were very poor.

stumpski

International Captain
Ramprakash is averaging over 100 in the Championship this year - some 'has-been.' And he wants to get 100 centuries - I should think he'd jump at the chance to play a few matches in India.

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
stumpski said:
Ramprakash is averaging over 100 in the Championship this year - some 'has-been.' And he wants to get 100 centuries - I should think he'd jump at the chance to play a few matches in India.
And you've completely missed the point - If a guy like Matty Hayden was willing and free to play in the Duleep trophy - who do you think the BCCI will choose - Ramprakash or Hayden ?

8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Might be a good idea for some of our spinners to get some experience of the subcontinent conditions. I couldn't realistically see Monty being selected for the Champions Trophy, so there's a small window for him there.

Might be quite a crowd-puller too, first Sikh to play for England & all.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Might be a good idea for some of our spinners to get some experience of the subcontinent conditions. I couldn't realistically see Monty being selected for the Champions Trophy, so there's a small window for him there.

Might be quite a crowd-puller too, first Sikh to play for England & all.
yea thats seems like a pretty good idea.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Gajanayake said:
And you've completely missed the point - If a guy like Matty Hayden was willing and free to play in the Duleep trophy - who do you think the BCCI will choose - Ramprakash or Hayden ?

8-)
Well I'd much rather watch Ramprakash bat than Hayden that's for sure. But yeah there's no doubt that Hayden would bring in a bigger crowd.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Gajanayake said:
If a guy like Matty Hayden was willing and free to play in the Duleep trophy
Then either Cricket Australia will have taken leave of their senses or he'll have retired from Internationals.

stumpski

International Captain
I don't think any current England international would be interested in playing. They only have about four weeks off between the end of the English season and the Champions Trophy. I could be wrong, but I'm sure some of these guys have families.

Monty ... hmmm, possible I suppose. He might enjoy it actually. But is he a big enough 'draw?'

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given present English attitudes, I don't see the sense in sending a first string team to the CT. It's not like they care about losing ODI matches anyway.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Given present English attitudes, I don't see the sense in sending a first string team to the CT. It's not like they care about losing ODI matches anyway.
Im sure it cannot be as simple as that. They will have contractual obligations in place with the ICC, TV, Sponsors etc that demand the best side is sent. Though with the way things are going that could be anyone.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Goughy said:
Im sure it cannot be as simple as that. They will have contractual obligations in place with the ICC, TV, Sponsors etc that demand the best side is sent. Though with the way things are going that could be anyone.
People want to see England play ODI cricket? Like... at all?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Soca Warriors > Crouch hairpulling.
It's very much Crouch's tactical purchase-lever > Soca Warriors, I think you'll find.

No-one pulls JT's hair either, you could set your watch to that haircut. :wub: