• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff's bizzare anti immigration rant

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Loved your cheeky comment about Labour damaging the country

edit - you could go one further and argue that involvement in two wars has threatened our security as a nation, see 7/7. Just playing Devil's Advocate mind you as my thoughts on those matters are quite complex and will never be discussed on CW :ph34r:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the point with the BNP is as much the European elections, where they do gain seats. If I understand it correctly, all the nationalist parties from all the countries form one block in Europe. And this block is projected after these elections to get to a size that will entitle it to millions of pounds (will try to find the exact figure) from what is essentially all our taxes. For me, that's something I feel unhappy about.

Edit: Up to £1 million per year, if this article is accurate.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBH I'm not sure how the European parliament works. I know it's PR, but I don't know what the thresholds are to get a seat.

Be interested to see how anti-EU any BNP/UKIP MEPs are when they're getting paid tons for it btw

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
TBH I'm not sure how the European parliament works. I know it's PR, but I don't know what the thresholds are to get a seat.

Be interested to see how anti-EU any BNP/UKIP MEPs are when they're getting paid tons for it btw
In my region, at least, there are seven seats. So you need 1/7th of the vote.

And hasn't one of the UKIP EU politicians been done for fraud his expenses were so bad? Or am I imagining it?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ah so it's just straightforward PR. I can't see BNP getting more than 10% of the vote tbh.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
edit - you could go one further and argue that involvement in two wars has threatened our security as a nation, see 7/7. Just playing Devil's Advocate mind you as my thoughts on those matters are quite complex and will never be discussed on CW :ph34r:
My thoughts on the two wars are simple. The war in Afghanistan was a tactical nightmare whereas invading Iraq was a form of liberal interventionism which I disagree with. Saddam was disgraceful, but he took care of the extremists, and that is what we have gone in there to do, we can not say we went in there because of human rights nor have we improved the state of affairs greatly (although this point I am willing to be argued down on).

On the topic of the BNP, I remember somebody who was handing leaflets coming to the door, seeing me and just quietly sighing and walking off, always amused me.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
1) It's not what he said, it's how it might be spun. Look at the title of the thread: "bizarre anti-immigration rant"; it's obviously nothing of the kind but it's the kind of thing that might be seized on by the racist loony fringe.

2) See below. UKIP are just fascism-lite, really. The worst kind of little Englanders pining for an Albion that never existed.
1- But surely Freddie isn't to blame for some ignorant moron putting a spin on it?

2- Well neither Cameron or Zaremba can know the UKIP's real intentions or philosophies. It's in Cameron's interest to null opposition and he hasn't said anything complimentary about any party unless it was in the form of a backhanded comment.

Ha ha, well tbh I have relatives who have been laid off as a direct result of the recession. The majority of that is Gordon Brown's fault as far as I'm concerned since he has been in charge of the UK's money & spending for over a decade.

The war has made us a risk from Islamic extremists, it's a valid point but I don't entirely disagree with the War in terms of reasons (from our side) why we went to war. It's obviously a barbaric, clumsy and uncivil form of conduct and I'm sure we are smart enough to depose a leader without all out warfare, but it's true we're more of a threat post-Iraq war, MI5 would agree.

On the topic of the BNP, I remember somebody who was handing leaflets coming to the door, seeing me and just quietly sighing and walking off, always amused me.
Ha ha, film them with a hidden camera next time.

I don't mind leaflets of any kind since I recycle them all without reading them. It's all propaganda, and I've found it's best to ignore what all the parties are saying and make your own mind up. I'm sure the majorirty of this board of voting age do just that.

Make sure you RECYCLE the leaflets though!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What's wrong with that? To be completely frank, there is a reason people in India move to England and America, and rarely the other way around. India as a nation has a lot of problems, and I wouldn't want America or the UK to become like India. Let's not be so sensitive here.
Nothing. I never said there was anything wrong with the above except that it is a highly subjective assessment based on one's personal likes and preferences. esp when he says " I wouldn't want to be American, but you have to admire the way they talk themselves up" . I am not being sensitive here, just being sensible in stating that every country has its good and bad, If you wouldn't want England to be like India then I dont think most Indians want India to be like England.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Nothing. I never said there was anything wrong with the above except that it is a highly subjective assessment based on one's personal likes and preferences. esp when he says " I wouldn't want to be American, but you have to admire the way they talk themselves up" . I am not being sensitive here, just being sensible in stating that every country has its good and bad, If you wouldn't want England to be like India then I dont think most Indians want India to be like England.
Agree.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

You could, but you'd be conveniently forgetting that the Conservatives and LDs completely supported both wars. Likewise, there's no way they'd have regulated the banks any more closely (not that it matters, because the recession starts in America so there's not much Brown could do. Nice to see the "economic genius" myth blown wide open though). Nor did they back David Davis's opposition to internment. How many Great Labour ****-ups did they actually oppose?

Political apathy is probably the answer. One party ****ed everything up, the other would have done exactly the same thing.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
You could, but you'd be conveniently forgetting that the Conservatives and LDs completely supported both wars. Likewise, there's no way they'd have regulated the banks any more closely (not that it matters, because the recession starts in America so there's not much Brown could do. Nice to see the "economic genius" myth blown wide open though). Nor did they back David Davis's opposition to internment. How many Great Labour ****-ups did they actually oppose?

Political apathy is probably the answer. One party ****ed everything up, the other would have done exactly the same thing.
I don't think the Lib Dems supported the Iraq war.

I know Conservatives did on the basis of their being WoMD buried in Iraqi soil.

I think Brown can easily be blamed for the recession in the UK. It isn't nicknamed "Gordon Brown's recession" for nothing. This is a good read I just found: Daily Referendum: Gordon Brown is to blame for UK recession.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think the Lib Dems supported the Iraq war.

I know Conservatives did on the basis of their being WoMD buried in Iraqi soil.

I think Brown can easily be blamed for the recession in the UK. It isn't nicknamed "Gordon Brown's recession" for nothing. This is a good read I just found: Daily Referendum: Gordon Brown is to blame for UK recession.
Oh sure, poor regulation contributed. I had a bit of a rant about that in my post originally then thought better of it. Still, it's a global recession, we'd be on a downer to a greater or lesser extent whatever he'd done. When America sneezes...

The other thing to point out is that lack of financial regulation is a conservative (small c) policy. It's economically very far to the right. I'm not one for defending Gordon Brown, but i can't imagine for a second that the Conservatives would have acted much differently. That's the dilemma of who to support politically in Britain these days, and to come full circle, it's one reason a lot of people could end up going BNP.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yea, well, little kids in the ghettos have so many opportunities and role models, but then the evil rap music comes in, and next thing you know, they're selling crack and shooting up corners.

What's wrong with that? To be completely frank, there is a reason people in India move to England and America, and rarely the other way around. India as a nation has a lot of problems, and I wouldn't want America or the UK to become like India. Let's not be so sensitive here.

In any case, there is nothing that Freddie said that I have any problems with. Even the rap music business - that's just naive but hardly malicious. And yes, if you work in the service industry in the UK, you should speak English. This is not remotely similar to working for the Chennai Superkings as a player. And in addition, there are plenty of people in India these days whose primary language is English.
India, as a nation has as many problems as any other country... There is no particular good/bad about it. For every few guys you say who want to move to England/America, I can point you to a 100 who DON'T because they feel India is MUCH better. I have had 3 opportunities to work in the US in the last 4 years and have turned down every one of them.

As Sanz said, there is no right/wrong answer to that one. It is a matter of perception and opinion and it is going to vary with people... You may think India has more problems than UK or US but I don't think so... And that was Sanz's point in the first place...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tell that to the Police Officers here in Trinidad whose lives were threatened through a rap song/video on Youtube.

A group(gang) of young men ranging in ages between 14 - 20 rapping about shooting certain high-ranking officers and actually firing guns in the 'music' video.
Rap didn't cause violence in that instance, they used rap as a means to promote their own intentions.

I'll bet you anything you like these guys weren't good citizens before they started rapping.

Son Of Coco

Really? You think it doesn't even create a particular mindset?

Then you haven't heard hard-core rap/dancehall. Can someone convince me that songs openly condemning homosexuality, shooting/killing homosexuals etc. can't influence young people in some way?
Not if they're brought up correctly no.

Son Of Coco

If everyone is brought up correctly the world would be paradise.
Exactly, but that's not music's fault. If it was, we could just play kids John Lennon's 'Imagine' from when the were born until they reached the age of 18 and we'd never have any problems.

biased indian

International Coach
India, as a nation has as many problems as any other country... There is no particular good/bad about it. For every few guys you say who want to move to England/America, I can point you to a 100 who DON'T because they feel India is MUCH better. I have had 3 opportunities to work in the US in the last 4 years and have turned down every one of them.

As Sanz said, there is no right/wrong answer to that one. It is a matter of perception and opinion and it is going to vary with people... You may think India has more problems than UK or US but I don't think so... And that was Sanz's point in the first place...
AWTA completely

And Count me in the same ....had the opp to work in US for 1 year could have stayed back there if i wanted ..but turned it down ...and in SS post he was saying there is a lot of people in india with english as their primary language how much is that a couple of millions in a billion ???

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Exactly, but that's not music's fault. If it was, we could just play kids John Lennon's 'Imagine' from when the were born until they reached the age of 18 and we'd never have any problems.
I have never listened to any rap of any kind so my knowledge about this is less than zero. I think children from the less privileged families might get wrong ideas from these songs. In India we have this issue, like the rest of the world, of growing number of youngsters smoking. The previous health minister banned smoking scenes in movies as he believed that heroes smoking was having a wrong influence on children. This is pretty similar to that.