• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flawed Point System for World Test Championship

Mike5181

International Captain
With more points available per match for a shorter series, weaker, less popular nations now have more opportunities to jump up the rankings. All they need to do is win one game of a 2-game series to get 60 points, where in a 5 test series they'd need to win 2 and draw 1 for the same number of points. If anything, it incentives stronger teams to schedule longer series against weaker teams, which is a win in terms of the development for those weaker teams.
Especially if a legit victim of the 2 test series scheduling actually goes ahead and wins the championship because of this. Like if NZ earned bragging rights, that's at least something that'll give the big 3 an incentive to even out who they play.

Kirkut

International Regular
Test cricket is like an exotic wine which cannot be marketed, you have to develop a taste for it.

Test Championship will be a flop.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think it will be a success if what the administrators expect is an increase in fan base or revenue or anything. But it will make test cricket better, I think. Might lead to an uptick in viewership towards the fag end of the cycle.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently theres a total of 120 points up for grabs in a series irrespective of the length of the series. So a team that wins 1-0 in a 2 test series gets 80 points or something while a team that wins 3-2 will get less. This looks like incentive to arrange shorter series against low ranked teams. Theres also no point difference for home and away series. Looks like a massive loophole
If NZ beats Sri Lanka 1-0 in the upcoming series that would be more impressive than Australia winning the Ashes 3-2, so those ranking points are fair enough.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Other than the play-off game, isn't the ICC rankings a fairer points system as at least they account for the strength of team?

DriveClub

International Regular
If NZ beats Sri Lanka 1-0 in the upcoming series that would be more impressive than Australia winning the Ashes 3-2, so those ranking points are fair enough.
That will be true so they will have to introduce a rating factor in based on where the away team is playing. First off away victories have to be given more points and second if non subcontinent team won in subcontinent that should get more points and vice versa

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Eurgh, overrates. Yeah we don't want a return to what the West Indies did, but I don't think anyone is necessarily feeling 'robbed' when the day is a few overs short

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The whole thing is a load of balls. Just gather 8 teams in England or Australia and have a straight knock out if they want a Test Match trophy.

Flem274*

123/5
i like it but all series should be standardised to at least 3 tests, have a 4 year cycle and overrates can go do one.

yes, this means bangladesh will have a very long summer down in nz and the west island but hey, anything to get rid of 2 test **** teases.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Why not just have ICC ranked 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 with the winners playing the Test final?

Note: not biased as Australia is currently ranked 5 until they win the Ashes ;)

harsh.ag

It seems like a work in progress. They will probably learn some lessons this cycle and tweak things.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, it's a start and I quite like it tbh. It is pretty much impossible and would be a logistical and financial nightmare to have a perfectly 'fair' test match league in today's context. I'm sure it'll get better over time though.

The finals every two years is the main product here and the build up to it in the previous six or so months will be fun. Over time it could well develop into something fans care more and more about.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Shame. I was looking forward to Boult, Ferguson, Wagner, and Kugglejin destroying Australia in Perth.
still worth selecting them if NZ are confident of that change making an impact on the result. Points from win will be higher than points lost from overrate imo. I think it should have been -1 per over lost rather than -2.

Burner

International Regular
I'd have really liked the final to be a series rather than a one off match. Something like a 3 match series at the end would have been fantastic.

harsh.ag

What is the most neutral venue that can be selected for the final beforehand? Before you know the teams involved.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i like it but all series should be standardised to at least 3 tests, have a 4 year cycle and overrates can go do one.
This should all be common sense. A 2 year cycle is stupid.

Why not just have ICC ranked 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 with the winners playing the Test final?

Note: not biased as Australia is currently ranked 5 until they win the Ashes ;)
Aussie tragic actually on the money in this thread. This makes so much more sense, and is much fairer.