• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flawed Point System for World Test Championship

DriveClub

International Regular
Apparently theres a total of 120 points up for grabs in a series irrespective of the length of the series. So a team that wins 1-0 in a 2 test series gets 80 points or something while a team that wins 3-2 will get less. This looks like incentive to arrange shorter series against low ranked teams. Theres also no point difference for home and away series. Looks like a massive loophole

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How would you do it then?

I'm more concerned about the fact that the new over rate offences will impact teams that play longer series more.

stephen

The test championship is a load of horse manure. All that matters is beating the team that's in front of you.

But I think the ICC wanted to promote big boys playing series against poorer nations.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's no way to make it a fair system unless it's done with a full home/away cycle anyway. Regardless of how you rate series and points there will always be someone disadvantaged.

Doesn't make any sense to me doing it in a 2 year cycle anyway. Why can't you just wait 4 years so we have a full cycle? World Cup is every 4 years why do we need a Test championship every 2? It just invalidates the result because no will think it's fair and whoever wins won't be considered the real winner by anyone, much like 2019 ODI World Cup.

harsh.ag

Well, if they made it points per test rather than series, then it would be discriminating against everyone bar the Big3. This actually discriminates against the Big3. The former would raise a larger ruckus than this, one presumes.

cnerd123

likes this
With more points available per match for a shorter series, weaker, less popular nations now have more opportunities to jump up the rankings. All they need to do is win one game of a 2-game series to get 60 points, where in a 5 test series they'd need to win 2 and draw 1 for the same number of points. If anything, it incentives stronger teams to schedule longer series against weaker teams, which is a win in terms of the development for those weaker teams.

The good news about the slow overrate point penalty is that captains won't be getting suspended anymore. They've managed to find a powerful deterrent which doesn't hurt the fans either.

TheJediBrah

With more points available per match for a shorter series, weaker, less popular nations now have more opportunities to jump up the rankings. All they need to do is win one game of a 2-game series to get 60 points, where in a 5 test series they'd need to win 2 and draw 1 for the same number of points. If anything, it incentives stronger teams to schedule longer series against weaker teams, which is a win in terms of the development for those weaker teams.

The good news about the slow overrate point penalty is that captains won't be getting suspended anymore. They've managed to find a powerful deterrent which doesn't hurt the fans either.
It will hurt the fans pretty badly if their team loses significant points, or misses out on finals because of over rates

It also targets team relying on fast bowlers, and teams not playing in Asia as much, more.

When was the last time a less popular nation played a 5 Test series?
Depending on your definition of popular, probably early 2000s West Indies. They were pretty bad at the time but still riding on the glory of the 80s.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Apparently theres a total of 120 points up for grabs in a series irrespective of the length of the series. So a team that wins 1-0 in a 2 test series gets 80 points or something while a team that wins 3-2 will get less. This looks like incentive to arrange shorter series against low ranked teams. Theres also no point difference for home and away series. Looks like a massive loophole
A team who wins 1-0 has arguably done better than a team who wins 3-2. Drawing is better than losing.

Starfighter

All hope of 4 pronged pace attacks fades away.
It also targets team relying on fast bowlers, and teams not playing in Asia as much, more.
That's a good point I hadn't thought of. I tend to think that teams playing a spinner should be able to make said spinner bowl their overs much faster, but that's not going to help in conditions where you want four fast bowlers.

I think that the batsmen are the big reason spinners bowl their overs slowly these days. Perhaps that should be looked in to.

TheJediBrah

For teams that play in spin-friendly conditions, (ie. basically the Asian teams), who are playing 75% of their Tests in spinning conditions, the over rates are far less of an issue. India, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh are almost always going to be able to bowl 50% or more of their overs with spin except for tours of Aus, SA and Eng, which they might not even have in each rotation of the Test championship.

cnerd123

likes this
All hope of 4 pronged pace attacks fades away.
England still rolls with a 4 pronged pace attack, but fit spinners in there too.

All-out pace attacks are not that practical to begin with, overrates aside. Don't think this changes anything.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
How would you do it then?

I'm more concerned about the fact that the new over rate offences will impact teams that play longer series more.
Yup. More games = more opportunities to be penalised.

Another problem is that they've penalised sides for slow overrates even when the game ends inside 3-4 days in the past. That absolutely must change. The unplayed time in a game should be used in the overrate calculations. I'm not sure how they would go about doing it, or why they don't already, but I foresee that being an issue. Imagine Australia dusting up a team within 3 days and then getting hit with a 2 point penalty for slow overrates. There might be good reasons for it, but it just doesn't sit well.