• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final | England vs Pakistan | Melbourne, 13 November 2022

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nah. Geraint Thomas and other cyclists were World Champions. Lots of Welsh boxers have been World Champions too.

Also Great Britain (not England) won the Rugby League World Cup 3 times in the 20th century. There would have been some Welshmen in there.
Fairly unlikely for the league thing. There might be an example but GB was pretty much only ever players from Northern England. Be interested to see what you can find out.

Edit: You were right - a handful of Welsh players in the 50s teams.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fairly unlikely for the league thing. There might be an example but GB was pretty much only ever players from Northern England. Be interested to see what you can find out.
Honestly not sure I'm that interested, it was just a throwaway, more because I'd recently found out Salt was born in Leek territory which I didn't know.

grecian

Oh **** oh **** the two most tiresome ****wits have united
Person who makes the same points again and again, calls someone else tiresome, hey I'm a ****wit, but you more than win the tiresome argument,

Still one of is is a ****wit that can celebrate a double World Cup Championship, chin up lad.

Xuhaib

International Coach
This honestly is almost Stokes in a nutshell, with the caveat that his normal output is better than merely "****". Like, in an average game he's an above-average but otherwise unremarkable international cricketer but in clutch situations he's basically an ATG.

EDIT: In no small part because the **** is unbelievably, supernaturally lucky. Like, wow.
Yeah supernaturally lucky is the word. Till Shaheen went off the park he was playing a potentially match losing knock it was 16 runs in last 5 overs for England and just a wicket away from a major choke imo , then luckily got the Iftikhar over out of no where and to his credit cashed in big.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pakistan missed a trick by not bowling Nawa in the middle overs. I feel the pitch would d have suited him more then Shadab as he is a bigger turner and the pitch was responding to tweakers as Rashid showed. He should have been the designated 5th bowler instead of Waseem for this pitch

social

cbf looking at the stats but Pakistan seemed to swing & miss at heaps of slow bouncers

Failing to get bat on ball is criminal in this format

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Honestly, the tedium is at times insane.

England won the 2019 World Cup. That is a fact. Would I have had different rules in place? Yes. Was it crystal clear at the start of the super over what the rules were. Also yes. Hence the ICONIC image of Jos wheeling away, because everyone in the world knew NZ needed one more. In the subsequent years on CW you would think that after that delivery everyone had stood round going ‘so what happens now?’ while the umpires urgently flicked through a rule book in the middle before giving the trophy to England. Both sides played that over knowing what had to be done. England won the Cup. I’m all for a tired joke and what not but the seriousness and earnestness with which some otherwise good posters try and claim we did not win that World Cup is insane. Just remember guys, if TheJediBrah is your fellow traveller on an issue then you are wrong and possibly certifiably insane.

But anyway my actual point is that to try and compare anything yesterday to 2019 is just trying too hard. I felt for Afridi. We’ll never know if he’d have taken a couple of wickets or not and what would have happened afterwards. But you can only deal with what actually happened. Injuries happen. That it occurred in the final may seem cruel, but then I think going into a WC shorn if the world’s in-form bat through a freak injury is cruel. The best team on the day won and comfortably in the end.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Good news is Afridi knee seems to be all clear there is not any ligament damage.

I think it was a right decision not to make him go through with his overs despite the Importance of the occasion. A fit Shaheen can give another good 8-10 years imo.

Whistler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
He didn't play in this final though, umm, I must be posting wrong here, I'll give up.
My bad, I thought you meant he wasn’t in the side like Moeen in 2019. Anyway, it’s still an interesting point that both World Cup winning squads only shared 6 cricketers. This 2022 team was just cobbled together last minute too. It’s like England can just scrape any 11 together and win a World Cup with them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rugby Union in 2003 was England. Wales went out in the 1/4 finals.
Squad did contain this son of Wrexham who's almost certainly rather more Welsh than a lot of the current Leekist XXIII.

Edit: You were right - a handful of Welsh players in the 50s teams.
TBF our captain when we last won it in 1972 was the late, great Clive Sullivan who was not only the first black captain of any GB team, but also a proud Welshman.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Honestly, the tedium is at times insane.

England won the 2019 World Cup. That is a fact. Would I have had different rules in place? Yes. Was it crystal clear at the start of the super over what the rules were. Also yes. Hence the ICONIC image of Jos wheeling away, because everyone in the world knew NZ needed one more. In the subsequent years on CW you would think that after that delivery everyone had stood round going ‘so what happens now?’ while the umpires urgently flicked through a rule book in the middle before giving the trophy to England. Both sides played that over knowing what had to be done. England won the Cup. I’m all for a tired joke and what not but the seriousness and earnestness with which some otherwise good posters try and claim we did not win that World Cup is insane. Just remember guys, if TheJediBrah is your fellow traveller on an issue then you are wrong and possibly certifiably insane.

But anyway my actual point is that to try and compare anything yesterday to 2019 is just trying too hard. I felt for Afridi. We’ll never know if he’d have taken a couple of wickets or not and what would have happened afterwards. But you can only deal with what actually happened. Injuries happen. That it occurred in the final may seem cruel, but then I think going into a WC shorn if the world’s in-form bat through a freak injury is cruel. The best team on the day won and comfortably in the end.
They won the cup, but the final was a tie and there was a tied super over. Whoever made the rule for a boundary countback should have been put in stocks (sorry, it's not something I can be rational about). That said, I think overall England were worthy WC winners. They beat us comfortably us in the round robin stage and beat Australia who I don't think we could have beaten.

I can empathise with Pakistan as the same thing happened in our club T20 game on Saturday. Our best bowler did a hamstring trying to take a catch and had to leave the field (although we probably would have still lost).

Last edited: