• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Burner

International Regular
Guptill's run outs have had so much impact for NZ. Runs out Dhoni to win the semi, attempts a run out of Stokes with the ball deflecting off his bat and going for four, and finally getting run out with 2 needed off the last ball. If he wasn't in the form he was in, he hits that last ball in the gap and runs 2 easily. I can understand his sadness.

cnerd123

likes this
Man what's so crazy about this game is how it was kind of plodding along for most part before erupting to life in bursts

Started off quick paced, then slowed down with Nicholls and Kane, then Plunkett's spell turned the momentum around completely, and then NZ dragged on to what felt like a sub par score, even though they had defended this Vs India

Then England started ominously before Roy edged behind, and suddenly the runs dried up, wickets fell, and Stokes and Butler were united at the crease. Then they stole the momentum back through some attritional batting of their own, the they picked up the pace, and with 72 needed of 10 it looked like England had one hand on their cup. But a few tight overs and two wickets later, and all of a sudden it's Stokes Vs the world, and while he kept the target in range it never felt like England would actually pull off the win

And then the game hit into overdrive. The 48th over onwards made this the craziest one day game of all time.

It's like a that slow boil and simmering for a massive explosion of drama and chaos right at the end. Incredible.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I know right. Just think how lame the knock out matches would've been if Pakistan had qualified ahead of NZ? The first semi would've been a typical India 350, Pakistan 180 affair. And the final would've featured the two least likeable sides in the tournament besides Pakistan. We need to learn to treasure the things that matter.
**** post. There are other Pakistani supporters here including me, who feel sad that NZ did not win. Although I was supporting England in this final, I thought both teams played an amazing game of cricket and at the end wanted both to share the cup because they both deserved to win.

You will also find that despite the Pakistani fans crying about the NRR situation, most of them have been supporting NZ. A lot of my relatives in Pakistan wanted NZ to win because of your PM Jacinda Arden.

Last edited:

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guptill's run outs have had so much impact for NZ. Runs out Dhoni to win the semi, attempts a run out of Stokes with the ball deflecting off his bat and going for four, and finally getting run out with 2 needed off the last ball. If he wasn't in the form he was in, he hits that last ball in the gap and runs 2 easily. I can understand his sadness.
If he was a worse fielder we might have won.

Burner

International Regular
Taylor would've been my pick, but I guess they wanted someone who could race between the wickets. Nearly paid off tbf.
I thought it was because Guptill had the most chance of hitting sixes, form notwithstanding. I agreed with it too tbf.

King Pietersen

International Captain
****ing get in there. What an unbelievable final, neither team deserved to lose that, probably the best sporting final of all-time, be hard pressed to find one with as much drama as that. What a game. Stokes and Jos turned the game around, and fair play to Jof in the super over, unreal pressure on such inexperienced shoulders and he delivered. Thought NZ had won it when Neesh deposited one into the stands, but wasn't to be for them. Unreal turnaround in 4 years from this England ODi side, they've been the best team in the world in this format for a while and to cap it off with a WC win is very special. So pleased for them.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man what's so crazy about this game is how it was kind of plodding along for most part before erupting to life in bursts

Started off quick paced, then slowed down with Nicholls and Kane, then Plunkett's spell turned the momentum around completely, and then NZ dragged on to what felt like a sub par score, even though they had defended this Vs India

Then England started ominously before Roy edged behind, and suddenly the runs dried up, wickets fell, and Stokes and Butler were united at the crease. Then they stole the momentum back through some attritional batting of their own, the they picked up the pace, and with 72 needed of 10 it looked like England had one hand on their cup. But a few tight overs and two wickets later, and all of a sudden it's Stokes Vs the world, and while he kept the target in range it never felt like England would actually pull off the win

And then the game hit into overdrive. The 48th over onwards made this the craziest one day game of all time.

It's like a that slow boil and simmering for a massive explosion of drama and chaos right at the end. Incredible.
Yeah a lot of it felt like a classic Benson and Hedges final or something. Then it became the most ridiculous thing ever.

Amirfan

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm just so so happy that we got to watch actually talented cricketers like Trent Boult and Jofra Archer in the final, and didn't have to worry about spot fixing hacks like Muhammad Amir soiling the occasion.
You can be bitter all you want and try to post off topic stuff to bait me, it's fine. In your place, I would be seething too if my team lost perhaps their only opportunity to win a World Cup.

Archer is a tremendous talent. Glad he got the win. My heart goes out to Boult. He really deserved more than just the runner up medal. Life can be so cruel sometimes.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You can be bitter all you want and try to post off topic stuff to bait me, it's fine. In your place, I would be seething too if my team lost perhaps their only opportunity to win a World Cup.

Archer is a tremendous talent. Glad he got the win. My heart goes out to Boult. He really deserved more than just the runner up medal. Life can be so cruel sometimes.
Heh nah thanks. England won a close match, and while NZ had a bit of bad luck with Stoakes supermaning England an extra 4 runs, it's really not worthwhile dwelling on these things. Could you imagine if I was to start a thread about how the ICC should nullify the result, and spend days whinging until I was blue in the face about how unfair it all is and how NZ really deserve to be champions? Honestly you'd have to be a **** poster to do something like that.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Heh nah thanks. England won a close match, and while NZ had a bit of bad luck with Stoakes supermaning England an extra 4 runs, it's really not worthwhile dwelling on these things. Could you imagine if I was to start a thread about how the ICC should nullify the result, and spend days whinging until I was blue in the face about how unfair it all is and how NZ really deserve to be champions? Honestly you'd have to be a **** poster to do something like that.
Don't rise to him, mate.

I can never quite get my head around internet trolls. It's all so strange.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A Woakes/Stokes hybrid. What a thing.