• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

91Jmay

International Coach
May as well just have 3 finals imo. Or as many as it takes to get the result the people whining the loudest want.
Yeah after I typed it I realised how arbitrary it all is.

Almost like sport (and anything designed by humans) is by definition arbitrary.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A minor point re the emotions: all southern hemispherers posting/arguing in this thread have just pulled all nighters

Shri

Mr. Glass
NZ...:(

Looking at Guptill at the end was hard.

Was a blast following the game with zo and howe on commentary with a muted streem.

Wish I could relive the final again with no memories.

Amirfan

School Boy/Girl Captain
What a happy happy day! Congratulations England! I was supporting England like I would support my own team today. I just could not have accepted any other result. The fact that it was so close makes it all the more sweet.

On a side note, what a silly decision to give Kane the MOS award! What the hell!!!!! He wasn't even the top run scorer by a 100 runs and the guy at the top played a game less.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Home team has won the world cup thrice in a row* now. Sucks to be a Pakistan fan, lel.

*Fairly obvious

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
May as well just have 3 finals imo. Or as many as it takes to get the result the people whining the loudest want.
Would definitely beat getting stuck with a world champion side staffed with foreign ring-ins and thugs and cheered on by the likes of you :p

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
What a happy happy day! Congratulations England! I was supporting England like I would support my own team today. I just could not have accepted any other result. The fact that it was so close makes it all the more sweet.

On a side note, what a silly decision to give Kane the MOS award! What the hell!!!!! He wasn't even the top run scorer by a 100 runs and the guy at the top played a game less.
My favourite poster.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Home team has won the world cup thrice in a row* now. Sucks to be a Pakistan fan, lel.

*Fairly obvious
Obviously home advantage is huge but this is a bit of a fluke in a way too. England wouldn't have won in 2011 if it was in England, for example.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
All I can say is New Zealand are a credit to the sporting world. It's a silly way to decide a game. Minute margins to say the least...and debatable deciding factors - with the number of boundaries. NZ played great cricket throughout this tournament, ( superhuman highlight reel in the field especially) and were immense today. From most people I spoke to here, NZ were a 2nd favourite team throughout the tournament. The team we would tune in to watch highlights of. I would have raised a glass to the black caps had they won. The level of sportsmanship with the despondent players (Kane Williamson took it on the chin like a gent and a man)... and on this forum...is a credit to New Zealand Sport. You guys deserved it, on another day would have won it, and I hope you taste it one day.
Congrats to England as well, did damn well to get there to the tie when it looked out of reach a few times in the final five overs. Hope you guys enjoy it, it must be an amazing feeling winning your first.

Spark

Global Moderator
Obviously home advantage is huge but this is a bit of a fluke in a way too. England wouldn't have won in 2011 if it was in England, for example.
Yeah was about to say: India in 2011 and Australia in 2015 were the best sides in the world at the time anyway, as was the case with England in 2019.