• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final: England v Italy (In London, England)

Who wins

• Eng-er-land

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Catenaccio

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Tikolo

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't dispute it can be highly effective tbh, I just really don't like it. I have a lot of sympathy with players who miss penalties, **** happens. But when penalties are missed after someone tries to be cute it just gets my goat. I remember one time when Jermaine Jenas tried to take a panenka type pen for Newcastle and just chipped the bloody thing over the crossbar. Bobby Robson was absolutely spitting nails.

Spark

Global Moderator
Thinking about these stats, are these guys making good numbers because of the stuttering approach, or does their clarity of thought (which I think from a very amateurish POV is the key to taking them well) mean stuttering in their approach doesn't bother them?
Think the point is to mess with the keeper's timing, make them commit too early.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Think the point is to mess with the keeper's timing, make them commit too early.
It's a bit like cooking steak tbh. You have to be really really good at it and get it basically spot on, otherwise you'll end up with something horrible and look like a massive pillock.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Making semi finals and finals at major tournaments is pretty decent progress from what they've done at other cups in my life time
It depends what perspective you look at it from. In 2018 we had a progressive coach who was going to pick young players and make England exciting to watch. We had a good draw and a lot of the usual big guns were misfiring. I actually didn't have a problem with the approach in the Croatia semi. We scored early, but we didn't then sit back. We dominated most of the first half and created other chances. It was really only around the hour mark that we suddenly got deeper and deeper and I don't think it was an actual conscious ploy. It was a missed opportunity, but we were told that it was a young team who would learn from the experience and only get better.
Fast forward three years and we're being told the same thing when 7 of the 11 started both matches and this time it was far worse. The coach changed the system to a back 8 just to let the opposition know you're afraid of them before you start. We caught them cold with an early goal and unlike three years ago we created absolutely nothing from then on. From the half hour mark we played like a League Two team showing up at Anfield aware of their limitations. After clearly regressing in three years they're all suddenly going to be better for the experience and turn up playing the game on the front foot in the desert in 18 months time.
Then you get the same fatuous points about remembering how far we've come since Iceland. Not quite as far as Italy who didn't even qualify for the World Cup that we made the semi-finals of. It shows what can be done if you put high quality players in the hands of a proper coach.

But anyway, it's only a game. :tooth: And I now have my Plymouth Argyle away shirt for next season, and might actually be able to go to a game. :clap:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't dispute it can be highly effective tbh, I just really don't like it. I have a lot of sympathy with players who miss penalties, **** happens. But when penalties are missed after someone tries to be cute it just gets my goat. I remember one time when Jermaine Jenas tried to take a panenka type pen for Newcastle and just chipped the bloody thing over the crossbar. Bobby Robson was absolutely spitting nails.
Haha this is a very gammon take. You’re not old enough to be holding opinions like this.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't recall seeing Rashford fanny around like that with a penalty before. The one against PSG is better example of his usual technique.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha this is a very gammon take. You’re not old enough to be holding opinions like this.
Haha disagree. Trying to be flash when taking penalties is to football what papers that use extremely extravagant and flowery language are to academia. You've got to have basically mastered the art to be able to do it/pull it off without looking like a massive dick.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's a bit like cooking steak tbh. You have to be really really good at it and get it basically spot on, otherwise you'll end up with something horrible and look like a massive pillock.
I'll take your word for it, I've never had any problems :ph34r:

Uppercut

Haha disagree. Trying to be flash when taking penalties is to football what papers that use extremely extravagant and flowery language are to academia. You've got to have basically mastered the art to be able to do it/pull it off without looking like a massive dick.
Haha this is even more gammon, I reckon you're the first person under the age of 75 to use the phrase "trying to be flash". What they're doing is called "trying to be better".

I can't even think of any anecdotal evidence for your claim that it's better for experts and worse for everyone else. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but has there ever been a below-average penalty taker (over, say, 10+penalties) who used this technique?

Players who miss a couple with this technique usually get heavily criticised and taken off penalty duty, because it's considered less manly than missing any other way. So we can't tell one way or the other how well it works for regular players. All we know is that it's what ~all the best penalty takers do now. Bruno, Hazard, Balotelli, Lewandowski.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha I have no idea tbh. I just instinctively don't like it for some reason. Nothing about it being more or less manly to do it any other way though. I just much prefer the Shearer/Van Nistelrooy approach to penalty taking. No faffing about. Though granted, the weight of the statistical evidence is probably against me on that one, as I daresay their conversion rate is probably not as high as some of those you have mentioned here.

And yeah I guess they are trying to be better, but it just reminds me of all those kids on the playrgound who tried lots of flicks and tricks and whatever when in fact they'd have greater success if they just bothered to master the basics of football.

Uppercut

Haha I have no idea tbh. I just instinctively don't like it for some reason. Nothing about it being more or less manly to do it any other way though. I just much prefer the Shearer/Van Nistelrooy approach to penalty taking. No faffing about. Though granted, the weight of the statistical evidence is probably against me on that one, as I daresay their conversion rate is probably not as high as some of those you have mentioned here.

And yeah I guess they are trying to be better, but it just reminds me of all those kids on the playrgound who tried lots of flicks and tricks and whatever when in fact they'd have greater success if they just bothered to master the basics of football.
Shearer scored 56/67, so similar to Kane. Ruud got 51/64, which is very average.

Le Tissier is the best I've seen at 47/48. His self-described technique is a bit of a hybrid - eyes on the keeper so he can put it the other way, but with a regular run-up. If the keeper didn't move he side-footed it into the corner and backed himself to place it too well for the keeper to reach without moving early. He hates the stutter.

Some are saying Pauleta was the stutter pioneer. He scored 30/32, similar to Bruno's level. Would explain how he always seemed to have a good goalscoring record despite looking useless every time I saw him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Shearer scored 56/67, so similar to Kane. Ruud got 51/64, which is very average.

Le Tissier is the best I've seen at 47/48. His self-described technique is a bit of a hybrid - eyes on the keeper so he can put it the other way, but with a regular run-up. If the keeper didn't move he side-footed it into the corner and backed himself to place it too well for the keeper to reach without moving early. He hates the stutter.

Some are saying Pauleta was the stutter pioneer. He scored 30/32, similar to Bruno's level. Would explain how he always seemed to have a good goalscoring record despite looking useless every time I saw him.
63/67 according to this.

Still not Le Tiss level, but Shearer was a great striker of the ball.

Uppercut

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Huh, the Premier League website has him on 56/67.

The internet can’t agree but I suspect your source might be right. I thought he was better than 56/67.
Checked a database I have access to. They have it at 56/66, eight missed (first in 1999/2000 season so might be incomplete data before that) and two saved (in 01/02 and 03/04). Plus one penalty goal for Southampton in the pre-PL days.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anyone else think Twitter and facebook should be held accountable for all these lovely non-racist people being hacked to say vile racist things. It's like an epidemic, I blame The Gurdian or summatt...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Does anyone else think Twitter and facebook should be held accountable for all these lovely non-racist people being hacked to say vile racist things. It's like an epidemic, I blame The Gurdian or summatt...
At the very least don't allow use of the monkey or banana emojis on the platform.