• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fighting kolpak

jboss

Banned
Personally, I hardly know any English speaking SA'ns who don't have at least more than one English grandparent.. Then again, I live in the most "English" part of the country
Well most of the country that plays cricket is white and in a 400 year old white history is very easy to trace to somewhere in europe. On a side but related note: Over 1 million saffas have moved abroad in the last 10 years :ph34r: and i would like to know why I need a transit visa just to be in heathrow for 5 hrs on my way to Norway for xmas ? Is the resession hurting that much that you want to rape the South Africans who do not even wish to enter the UK?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well most of the country that plays cricket is white and in a 400 year old white history is very easy to trace to somewhere in europe. On a side but related note: Over 1 million saffas have moved abroad in the last 10 years :ph34r: and i would like to know why I need a transit visa just to be in heathrow for 5 hrs on my way to Norway for xmas ? Is the resession hurting that much that you want to rape the South Africans who do not even wish to enter the UK?
England is a tough place to get into full stop if you are a legitimate person willing to contribute to their economy, like most Saffas, and if they have the chance to get some money out of you, they will.. I'm fortunate enough to have a UK passport, but it costs well over 1000 bucks to get that, and then they don't send it to you for six months.. I think it's good that they are so strict on who they let in now though, I'm an English citizen and I don't expect SA to owe me a living or anything..

I've heard some scary stuff about the recession over there, but it's probably just media doom and gloom.. Although my town has gone from having seven night clubs to having one night club in the space of three years.. Perhaps thats just drinking regulations or something

Last edited:

jboss

Banned
England is a tough place to get into full stop if you are a legitimate person willing to contribute to their economy, like most Saffas, and if they have the chance to get some money out of you, they will.. I'm fortunate enough to have a UK passport, but it costs well over 1000 bucks to get that, and then they don't send it to you for six months.. I think it's good that they are so strict on who they let in now though, I'm an English citizen and I don't expect SA to owe me a living or anything..

I've heard some scary stuff about the recession over there, but it's probably just media doom and gloom.. Although my town has gone from having seven night clubs to having one night club in the space of three years.. Perhaps thats just drinking regulations or something
Hmm I don't think it concerns them about who i am granted that I have already gone through a visa check for the EEA country I am heading too. It becomes expensive for a return trip and adds 300 pounds just to go on holiday for a visa that wont even allow me a foot into the country. I hate Heathrow anyway with thier baggage checks and I am boycotting them for life for being money hungry. Besides, Schipol is a far less busy, cleaner and better airport.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
i would like to know why I need a transit visa just to be in heathrow for 5 hrs on my way to Norway for xmas ?
Think the clues in the name - you need legal documentation to be in the country and since you're in transit it's called a transit visa.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmm I don't think it concerns them about who i am granted that I have already gone through a visa check for the EEA country I am heading too. It becomes expensive for a return trip and adds 300 pounds just to go on holiday for a visa that wont even allow me a foot into the country. I hate Heathrow anyway with thier baggage checks and I am boycotting them for life for being money hungry. Besides, Schipol is a far less busy, cleaner and better airport.
Heathrow is a dungeon of note.. So impressed with Joburg at the moment.. They've completely redone it and now you can walk from domestic to internationals without having to go outside.. International arrivals in particular is absolutely beautiful

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
English players could attend finishing school in South Africa too, they just choose not to. It's a two-way system, South African cricketers are just taking advantage of it whereas English ones aren't.
Some do eg Plunkett and Boycott etc but it is nowhere close to the same for many reasons. Firstly there are fewer franchises and therefore fewer opportunities, the quota system means franchises are unlikely going to use a non-PDP space on an English player and the money in SA cricket means possibly better opportunities exist elsewhere.

They dont really compare.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll never go to Heathrow again unless I absolutely can't get out of it, ever since I fainted in the security queue in departures and even though I was travelling alone and was very disorientated got little help from anyone and was told, as there was no first aid point unless I wanted to go to arrivals and miss my plane, to just get on with it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Is the resession hurting that much that you want to rape the South Africans who do not even wish to enter the UK?
Nice metaphor, classy.

Sounds like a total rip-off if it's costing you £300. My suggestion is not to travel on a route that takes you via Heathrow. Unless it's the cheapest route available, even including the cost of the transit visa, in which case I'm not sure what your complaint is

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Some do eg Plunkett and Boycott etc but it is nowhere close to the same for many reasons. Firstly there are fewer franchises and therefore fewer opportunities, the quota system means franchises are unlikely going to use a non-PDP space on an English player and the money in SA cricket means possibly better opportunities exist elsewhere.

Didn't Harmison play some cricket in SA a couple of years ago?

Not arguing your bottom line, mind.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nice metaphor, classy.

Sounds like a total rip-off if it's costing you £300. My suggestion is not to travel on a route that takes you via Heathrow. Unless it's the cheapest route available, even including the cost of the transit visa, in which case I'm not sure what your complaint is
Heathrow is a necessity if you want to travel to western europe, I think he has been ripped off, i can't imagine everyone shelling out 300 pounds

Langeveldt

Soutie

Isn't Panesar playing for the Highveld Lions at the moment?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Besides, Schipol is a far less busy, cleaner and better airport.
:laugh:

You are joking right? Schiphol was horrific when I went there, hated every minute of it.

Instead of imposing laws that wouldn't even work in practice, how about you address why people are leaving South African Cricket?

Langeveldt

Soutie
:laugh:

You are joking right? Schiphol was horrific when I went there, hated every minute of it.

Instead of imposing laws that wouldn't even work in practice, how about you address why people are leaving South African Cricket?
Probably because we can't do anything about it.. Disreguarding everything else, in a world of money it's still for all intents and purposes, in the third world

PhoenixFire

International Coach
There's your problem then. You can't force people to stay somewhere and play somewhere they don't want to. I'd guess that there are Bangladeshi kids that are good enough to play in India and Sri Lanka but don't, despite the huge amounts of money they would be given if they did move.

Langeveldt

Soutie
There's your problem then. You can't force people to stay somewhere and play somewhere they don't want to. I'd guess that there are Bangladeshi kids that are good enough to play in India and Sri Lanka but don't, despite the huge amounts of money they would be given if they did move.
I havent had a moan about it for years.. if someone wants to move somewhere for economic reasons or whatever, good luck to them..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I tell you what Frankfurt airport is a ****ehole as well
As is De Gaulle

THB, Heathrow is not so bad apart from the vast size of it. Ive done a fair bit of traveling and aim to use small airports every time. Just makes life so much easier.

Give me Luton over Heathrow everytime.