• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fiery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good stuff from whoever moved these posts from the Cricket Chat not as exciting as before thread (presume it was Sam) BTW. Much best to have all this in one place. EDIT: BUT NO!!!!!!!!!!! You got one you shouldn't have!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This one from tec. And given he has just 3 other posts outside CC, it'd be catastrophic for his posts-ratio if this one doesn't go straight back (that and it's now gone from the thread it actually was relevant in).

First time I've ever seen a thread-starter changed though. :huh::laugh: Was John (Athlai), now Lillian Thomson.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I said it before in the Crowe/Turner thread, and I'll repeat it here. Perm, knowingly or not, was persistently taking a contrary view to Fiery - and not usually an in-depth, analytical view. Just a contrary view as if to get Fiery more wound up than a spinning top.

That said, Fiery consistently went over the top with his responses, repeatedly going into the area of abuse. I think Fiery knew that, and was beyond the point of caring, and the ban was always going to happen sooner or later.

Anyway, it's happened, and time for us to all move on.

archie mac

International Coach
Read the whole thread before contributing, so here is my two bobs worth:)

1.I like Fiery and think him one of the most knowledgeable posters on this forum

2.I like Perm and think if he stays with it will put all of us ‘old’ fellas to shame by the time he reaches 30 with his cricket knowledge

3.I think the Mods do a great job and unlike the rest of us; have all of the facts involved with how many warnings and the like that Fiery received

4.I thought them as bad as each other, but think Fiery should have (yes because he was older) handled the situation better, and to his credit just before he was banned he seemed to be trying to sort things out with Perm

5.I will say I am 100% against permanent bans, for ever sounds like an awful long time. Ban him for a week, ban him for a month. If he comes back and starts with a diatribe, then ban him again for a longer period. Gee we are on a forum, and nothing he says will cause any of us irreparable damage

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
As Senior(in age) and a member of this forum I believe the thread question has been adequately answered by the banning of Fiery. Any organisation is only as good as the standard of it's members and some have shown their obvious immaturity by "reporting" other forummers.
For heavens sake this is NOT a schoolroom and "dobbing" in is definitely not on.
So reporting other members is immature? I agree that what perm did was immature, but disagree that overall reporting posts (or dobbing, as you would say) is immature.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A baffling notion, 't truly is.

As I say, I very, very rarely report posts. But what's the point in the feature being there unless people do.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Would just like to point out two things here.

1 - A report doesn't mean that we are going to warn someone. Reporting a post is just an easy way to bring a post to the mod team's attention.

2 - A report is probably the easiest way to make sure that a mod will read a post. We try to read as much of the forums as we can but (most of us) have lives away from the forum, and so we may not see every post as a matter of course.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With the case in question here (Fiery and Perm), I have no issue with either but then Ive not been involved in anything involving the 2. I dont know how old Perm is, but Im guessing under 18 and like Fiery it would drive me crazy to be an experienced and knowledgable cricket fan and have everything I said or posted jumped all over by a juvenile with an apparent agenda.

It would be incredibely frustrating. The flip side being is that Fiery reacted and certainly gave a lot back and vented his anger in a fashion I probably wouldnt myself.
As Richard said, I'm 17. For the last time, I had no 'agena' against Fiery when I disagree with his posts about cricket. If you look at one post he made about Sir Richard Hadlee being a genuine all-rounder, I disagree with what he said and responded to it in a mature and non-confrontational matter. Basically Fiery just said "FFS I'm older than you, how would you know what you're talking about" which was frustrating to say the least. Fiery does have a greater knowledge about the history of the game than me, witness his participation in Trivia and Quote threads, but does that mean I'm not allowed to disagree with him?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Meh, was going to happen sooner or later. As I said to Fiery a couple of weeks ago (then apologised for being somewhat rude in my phrasing) 80% of what he contributed was good, but he was entirely too quick to wind people because he seemed to enjoy their reactions, and then cry foul when someone returned fire, and was obviously unable or unwilling to conduct himself in a civil manner in accordance with the rules here.

Some people are carrying on about this being ridiculously repressive - I disagree. CW is the one forum I regularly participate one, mainly because James and his guys run a tight ship. If I want people slagging off each other, along with all the other things the mods and the established members here discourage, I'll go to one of those other places. If others want that, I'd suggest they do the same.

Perm - I'd hate to see you go the same way as Fiery. I genuinely enjoy a lot of what you post, and you know a lot about, and obviously watch a lot of, cricket. You're also often quite funny. But you're also often quite rude with a very low threshold for what gets you annoyed and you could have let the Fiery thing drop months ago. Obviously you didn't have to, its your choice, but my opinion is that its a pity you couldn't. That said, I think you've been making an effort to be more civil recently, which is ace because you're top value most of the time.

andmark

International Captain
All I can say is remember Stumped. He/she I think got banned for offence. But it wasn't a permament ban. Maybe Fiery deserves that chance too.
(Stumped then got banned for life)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The doctoring of this thread makes it appear as though I started the discussion, which I didn't. I couldn't give a monkey's about Fiery or his ban and made just a throw away quip in the middle of a totally different thread.8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.