• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fiery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't think he was that bad to get banned permanently. Members on here get away with worse.
Agreed.

I liked Fiery. He could be a dick, but he knew about cricket and made good contributions across the board.

Not as if he was just abusive. I guess he just had a little too much brimstone to let things slide.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
I think his banning should be treated as a fait accompli by the board. All this speculation about whether it was justified is just undermining the authority of the moderators.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, they're not, there's any number of people who tell some older posters not to be ageist, and not to take the utterly ludicrous "those kids have to earn respect by getting older". It's a ridiculous attitude and anyone who speaks out against it is completely in the right.

To suggest it's only immature people who say that is, well... frankly anyone who suggests that will always sound like a stuffed-up old man (or woman as the case may be).
Just to clarify, there's only two guys on here who've banged on about them warranting the respect of older members of the forum - both of them are the highly immature people of which I speak. There's a difference between earning respect by spreading good content or earning respect by being a decent, good natured person and demanding it for no good reason.

HeathDavisSpeed

Personally, I can't really see how anyone can fail to understand why he was banned (Fiery that is). Every other post was an insult to some person or another and likeably as me may have been on occasions I think that he was pretty detrimental to the forum atmosphere on a number of levels. It wasn't as though he wasn't warned or given any chances as well, James contaced him numerous amounts of times about everything, yet he still persisted.
I can understand why fiery has been banned. What I don't believe is how perm seems to have got away without despite surely being on a similar 'probation' having recently served a ban. Perm is like Vincent Price in The Witchfinder General.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just to clarify, there's only two guys on here who've banged on about them warranting the respect of older members of the forum - both of them are the highly immature people of which I speak.
Right, OK - there may have been only two who you've seen (and you can't be expected to either read every thread nor trawl through the entire forum's history prior to your arrival, of course) but I assure you there's a fair few times, and a fair few people involved, when discussion of the nature of "respect thy elders" has happened.

I've always been vehemently opposed to the crass nonsense which basically says "respect has to be earnt through age". It disgusts me when I see statements of the nature of "oh, you're just a kid, my ideas and thoughts are naturally worth more than yours because I'm older than you".

Personally there are people on this forum (the vast, vast majority in fact) who I respect and who I desire to be respected by. There are one or two who I have no respect whatsoever for and could not care one iyota less what they think of me.

Age of the posters - myself and others - has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any of this. I respect people who behave well. I disrespect *****. I don't change my respect nor my disrespect for a twattish-behaved type based on their age.
There's a difference between earning respect by spreading good content or earning respect by being a decent, good natured person and demanding it for no good reason.
But refusing to give respect regardless of either of the former two purely because of age is all too often seen, and it is this which I and many others besides speak out against.

Last edited:

Matteh

To use a CW example - It's me vs Hing during the wave of repression only lighter. I wound him up, he told me where to go, he got banned.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So basically, there will from this day forth be a "ban Perm" campaign. Can see it's already started.

Great way to bring the ubiquitous forum atmosphere down further guys. 8-)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
No, they're not, there's any number of people who tell some older posters not to be ageist, and not to take the utterly ludicrous "those kids have to earn respect by getting older". It's a ridiculous attitude and anyone who speaks out against it is completely in the right.
Mate, you call it ageist, I call it common sense. CC is a great place for us all to learn about cricket and get a cross section of views. Younger members would benefit from that just as much if not more so than older members. They get the benefit of a collective wealth of experience that is invaluable in furthering a cricketing education and interest.

Young members can certainly provide insight and a different way of looking at a situation and are very valuable posters. However, to suggest that they can understand the game to the same level or as comprehensively at 13/14/15 as people who have been surrounded by it for a long time is crazy and without merit or logic.

With the case in question here (Fiery and Perm), I have no issue with either but then Ive not been involved in anything involving the 2. I dont know how old Perm is, but Im guessing under 18 and like Fiery it would drive me crazy to be an experienced and knowledgable cricket fan and have everything I said or posted jumped all over by a juvenile with an apparent agenda.

It would be incredibely frustrating. The flip side being is that Fiery reacted and certainly gave a lot back and vented his anger in a fashion I probably wouldnt myself.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Half the time Fiery was basically saying 'I'm not going to bother listening to you becase you are younger than me'.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great way to bring the ubiquitous forum atmosphere down further guys. 8-)
Now that actually is a bit rich coming from you...

I like Fiery a lot, the bloke knows his cricket (and his rugby) and was a funny guy with it but he let himself be wound up by other posters. He's a smart enough chap to know this & I reckon he wasn't prepared to bite his tongue anymore.

To suggest it's only immature people who say that is, well... frankly anyone who suggests that will always sound like a stuffed-up old man (or woman as the case may be).
Where has anyone said that? Guys like Mr M, Neil, Prince EWS, Jono & Faaip all concede about a decade (or more) to me but have my respect for knowing what they're talking about & generally being reasonable human beings when they post on CW. It's nothing to do with age.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mate, you call it ageist, I call it common sense. CC is a great place for us all to learn about cricket and get a cross section of views. Younger members would benefit from that just as much if not more so than older members. They get the benefit of a collective wealth of experience that is invaluable in furthering a cricketing education and interest.

Young members can certainly provide insight and a different way of looking at a situation and are very valuable posters. However, to suggest that they can understand the game to the same level or as comprehensively at 13/14/15 as people who have been surrounded by it for a long time is crazy and without merit or logic.
Look, heavens above I'm not saying age is no matter of significance - of course there's stuff a 36 (for instance) year-old would be able to assess better than a 17 (for instance) year-old where other matters were equal.

What I object to is someone saying "I'm older than you, so therefore by default I know better". An attitude all too common among certain people. I've never noted a smidgen of it in yourself, just FTR.
With the case in question here (Fiery and Perm), I have no issue with either but then Ive not been involved in anything involving the 2. I dont know how old Perm is, but Im guessing under 18 and like Fiery it would drive me crazy to be an experienced and knowledgable cricket fan and have everything I said or posted jumped all over by a juvenile with an apparent agenda.

It would be incredibely frustrating. The flip side being is that Fiery reacted and certainly gave a lot back and vented his anger in a fashion I probably wouldnt myself.
Perm's 17 FTR.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now that actually is a bit rich coming from you...
Yeah, because I've been poor in that respect of times means I can't make suggestions as to how others could improve it? Great attitude. If that were the case, no-one would ever make suggestions as to how to improve CW, because even the best of us have damaged the atmosphere of times.
Where has anyone said that? Guys like Mr M, Neil, Prince EWS, Jono & Faaip all concede about a decade (or more) to me but have my respect for knowing what they're talking about & generally being reasonable human beings when they post on CW. It's nothing to do with age.
When did I even mention you? Not once did I even remotely imply that every 30-plus poster on this forum has a superiority complex about those younger than them. I've rarely if ever heard you make mention of someone's age.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Except for when it's Jamee saying what age counts as Milfism.
I never did get around to posting my thoughts on that topic. Has to be someone old enough to reasonably be the potential age of the individuals mother.

Im 31 so a MILF is different to me than someone who is 18. Id have to be looking late-40s where as they could consider mid-30s.

I reckon its pretty thin pickings :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wasn't that me?
Probably you as Jamee's too innocent. It's not like either of you should be using those naughty words at your age, anyway.

As for the subject at hand, I'm afraid that patience doesn't spring eternal. We're all for second chances - we have so many members who have gone away/come back again/been banned/asked for an overturn after time/etc, but there were more chances here than Rahul Dravid offered on Thursday morning. Lines have to be drawn somewhere.

To quote what one of my year six class (eleven years old) has decided are two of my favourite expressions: Life sucks. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.