• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

fastest bowlers in new Zealand right now?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
He's a decent prospect but you wouldn't say he was anything special would you? I didn't see much of his bowling this season but I've always believed it was a bad sign that he looked a better bowler at 17 then he did say six months ago at 20.
No he's not the most natural bowling talent around, almost looks like a purely 'raw attributes' guy who's getting pushed into cricket against his will at times. He does get some outswing I didn't expect though, so I presume his release is above average.

Howsie

International Captain
No he's not the most natural bowling talent around, almost looks like a purely 'raw attributes' guy who's getting pushed into cricket against his will at times. He does get some outswing I didn't expect though, so I presume his release is above average.
Shows how much domestic cricket I've watched lately as I always thought he was a guy who brought the ball back in, ala Chris Martin. Actually his action reminded me of Martin quite a lot, probably why I didn't really have much time for him.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Shows how much domestic cricket I've watched lately as I always thought he was a guy who brought the ball back in, ala Chris Martin. Actually his action reminded me of Martin quite a lot, probably why I didn't really have much time for him.

Yeah I've seen both inswing and outswing from him; I'm not sure he's really got his act together yet on a number of fronts.

Producing the deliveries that Michael Papps hates seems to be his best feature atm. That rearing bounce over bail height from a length that's demanded a forward defence.

Howsie

International Captain
Whoops, was talking about Duffy haha.

I don't know much about Jamieson other than he's really tall, and a mate who has done abit of coaching with him penciling him in as a future NZ cricketer in at least the limited overs stuff.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Duffy's definitely outswing. You could still claim he's going to be a bit of a Chris Martin and a bit too PG13 for the modern international game, I guess. No real brutes or violence going on in his season's wickets video ftr.

Last edited:

thundaboult

International Debutant
Bump. Would sure like the opinions and updates from the NZ locals of the fastest bowlers in the country nearly 3 years after this thread was made. From what I know, the fastest we have now is Ferguson. Seen him send one down at 153.4 against PAK recently. Adam Milne, who I saw against India recently, was sadly bowling at Southee's pace. How has his pace been on his comeback to domestic? Any other NZ quicks in the domestic scene who are looking express or close?

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Milne has been injured which has affected his pace. Glass bones Bennett may still be hurling them.down but as soon as he pulls on a BC shirt he is injured immediatly. Problem.with Fergusan he doest swing the ball at pace like Starc.

Flem274*

123/5
Ferguson, Bennett and Tickner are the 140+ guys atm. No idea what speeds Milne is clocking but he's not really snaring any wickets either. Tbh if Jamieson gained 5-10 clicks he'd be scarier than all these blokes.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Kuggs? Certainly hits the bat hard, even if he's a couple of km/h below the others on the speedgun.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I think there a 4 genuinely quick bowlers on the nz scene.

Ferguson, Milne, Bennett, Kuggelijn. Probably in that order. A bit of a gap between 2 and 3.

Warren Barnes looks quite quick,

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Scott Copperfield might be visiting for a post season trip. He’s pretty quick

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ferguson the fastest by a mile. We know Milne has the potential as well, but he hasn't been taking enough wickets this season to get in front of a speed gun.

Tickner, van Beek, Bennett and Kuggs all operate in that 135-145 zone.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Haven't seen his speed under the radar, but this guy looked lively in the video score cards.

It has been an area of weakness for Otago teams in the past but not this season. The Volts have a young attack which is on the rise. Michael Rae fits neatly into that category. The 22-year-old has had a breakthrough season, taking 26 wickets at an average of 24.73.

He is the 12th leading wicket-taker in the competition, which is one place lower than Black Cap Lockie Ferguson and one spot better than team-mate Neil Wagner, who has 147 test wickets to his name.

"I’ve been in the environment for four seasons now ... and I definitely feel like I’m more of an important cog than I have been," Rae said.

A strapping lad, Rae measures in at a "tad under 2m". He bowls with good pace and extracts extra bounce. The right-armer’s stock ball is just back of a length and he brings plenty of energy to his bowling stints. His role in the side is similar to what we see from Wagner at test level.

"The biggest thing for me is to keep running in and hitting the deck hard for as long as possible."

His best performance came against Wellington, when he picked up five for 18 in a stunning eight-over stint.
https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/young-otago-seamer-proving-rae-sunshine

thundaboult

International Debutant
Update.

So Lockie was legitimately clocked at 154.9 km against the bangers in the 1st odi in new zealand this year. Fastest bowler in the world at the moment.

Milne, in the t20's against pak late last year did hit 149 and 151.

Kuggelejin, the latest entry, hit 149.7 km against india in the 3rd t20 in new zealand this year. Mind you, it was overall a very very quick spell.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Lockie was legitimately clocked at 154.9 km against the bangers in the 1st odi in new zealand this year. Fastest bowler in the world at the moment.
If you believe speed guns in the BBL and IPL (I don't) half the seam bowlers in the comp were cracking 150-155kph

thundaboult

International Debutant
Bump. Ferguson still the quickest. Milne could be close to a comeback. Kuggs has sort of vanished but will be given chances as he has time on his side. Bennett is sadly just a fast-medium pacer now, his speed against India were unimpressive.

The latest entry in this list has to be Ben Sears. Hasn't gotten in front of a speed gun yet but he obviously is one of the quickest on the domestic scene.